NEED HELP WITH GAS GAUGE 86 / B250

Have and 1986 B250 full size van. Put in new tank - new sending unit. Now it does not register on the dash gauge. I checked the ground and power going into the sending unit When I check for power the test light blinks steady. Is the steady blink what I'm suppose to be reading. If it is, it looks like I may have a bad sending unit. Thanks for any help that anyone can give me.

Warren

Reply to
warrenry

When you have the sending unit connected to the dash gauge, what does it read and how much fuel is in the tank in comparison?

If the tank is empty, pull the sending unit, connect it to a multi meter (Ohms resistance) and see if the resistance varies smoothly thru it's operating range.

If so, check to make sure the arm isn't bent. At rest, in the lowest position, the float should be close to even with the pickup tube filter.

If it works smoothly, and the arm is correctly positioned, then the problem is in your wiring or the voltage regulator on the dash.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

The gauge reads empty and there is about half a tank.

Where is the voltage regulator on the dash. Also when I check for voltage going to the sending unit the test light has a steady blink, is that normal.

I will have to drop the tank down to remove the sending unit to perform the test with the ohms meter.

Thanks. Warren

Reply to
warrenry

The regular blinking is probably the voltage regulator working as it should.

Siphon the fuel out of the tank before trying to lower it.

A tech at a GM dealership tried to lower a half full tank on an Astro van and we spent 2 hours cleaning up the mess.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran