Need Ram help fast, Thanks!

My truck's AC compressor started smoking (and making noise). The belt broke off also. The compressor's wheel has frozen.

The truck is a 1996 Ram 2500 4x4 with the 360 (5.9l) V8

I would like to "bypass" the AC unit and use the belt for the non-AC version of my truck.

I would like to point out that the AC didn't work in this truck, so I don't mind losing the compressor (I can always fix it later).

I know I will probably have to remove the AC's flywheel. Anything else?

Is all this possible?

The truck is at a job site, so I will try the repair with limited tools, any tools that are a must have?

Please post reply here, and thanks a lot for your advice.

Reply to
jba

Sure... you just need a belt for your engine without A/C. You can leave the A/C compressor in place - the belt will just route underneath it (you should have a diagram showing the routing without an A/C compressor - if not, the belt will come off the alternator pulley, under the idler pulley, and then straight across to the P/S pump.

Just a 3/8" ratchet and socket set to grab the tensioner bolt head (can't remember the exact size - maybe 15mm?) and release the tension on the belt.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Fixed! Thanks! It was 15mm, btw, funny.

I'm a bit worried, is the tensioner pulley all I use to "pull tight" the belt?

If the belt stretches over time, I don't think the tensioner has any room to pull the belt tight.

Should anything else be adjusted (or can be adjusted), like the alternator, etc?

What's recommend?

Please post reply here

Thanks again.

Reply to
jba

"jba" wrote: My truck's AC compressor started smoking (and making noise). The belt broke off also. The compressor's wheel has frozen. The truck is a 1996 Ram 2500 4x4 with the 360 (5.9l) V8 I would like to "bypass" the AC unit and use the belt for the non-AC version of my truck. I would like to point out that the AC didn't work in this truck, so I don't mind losing the compressor (I can always fix it later). I know I will probably have to remove the AC's flywheel. Anything else? Is all this possible? The truck is at a job site, so I will try the repair with limited tools, any tools that are a must have?"

Oh man no AC how can you stand it. Too hot in Louisiana for that. Go to the auto parts store and ask them for a belt for your truck. Tell them you want on for that model without AC. The should stock one. They should have a diagram somewhere under the hood for belt placement with and without AC.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

Yes - it's spring-loaded, so it will maintain a constant and proper tension.

If it didn't, you would be able to pull the belt off. Note the position of the tensioner, then push it in with the ratchet, slide the belt off, and let the tensioner retract all the way. If it goes further than it was when the belt was on it, you're fine.

Nope - in a serpentine belt system, none of the components can be moved.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Reply to
James Sedwick

What part of "fast" indicated a response 12 days later would be a useful?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence