new big horn

Page 1 of 2
frustrated with not being able to sell my '01 dodge and needing service vehicles for the company im launching i took the plunge yesterday and bought
an additional new cummins.
http://utilityoffroad.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_IDE26
yeah baby! :-)
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

er, 4x4 although it doesnt much look like it in the pictures. im thinking a tire upgrade is in order.
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

Congrats on the new addition. You'll enjoy the added go that the 325/610 gives ya. The wife says it is like driveing a car Good luck with it.
Roy

our '04.5 has the 325/600 and honestly i cant tell a difference (same ratio).
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com
Nathan W. Collier wrote:

nice truck... did Chrysler run out of that pretty blue paint thats on your other truck, and the Rubicon??
<grin>

i looked at the blue, red, and black but ultimately went with white since its primary duty will be as a service truck (and it matches the trailer pretty well).
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

names.
--
MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply!

ah ive been in the light. we also have an '04.5 lwb srw cummins 4x4
http://utilityoffroad.com/reviews/ranger/5.jpg
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

beekeep

Nice! Which transmission?

thanks to your (and others) advice i went with the automatic again. funny thing, i had absolutely _no_ intention of buying a new truck yesterday. i called the salesman who sold me the '04.5 and told him that as soon as i could sell my jeep and '01 cummins that i wanted him to find me a low mileage fully dressed '02 dually. he told me he would take both off my hands if id take an '05 off his hands. i didnt think he could put a deal together that i could live with but he did it.
.....now i hear a banks upgrade calling. :-)
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

Cool. When's the tranny temp gauge going in? :)

If you want to spend more money than you need to, for less power than you should get, then yeah.... ok. The Edge Juice/Attitude is a nice box for someone looking for decent, but safe, power - it's got a digital display, which means you don't need gauges (it monitors EGT and boost), and has several safety settings (defueling based on EGT, boost level, and/or transmission slippage). Combine that with in-cab adjustability (5 power levels, and 5 low-RPM fueling settings for each power level), and you've got a pretty nice package for about $700.
But let the engine break in first, will ya? :)

will i need to worry about it so long as the truck is stock?

i was thinking about the banks torque converter.

agreed. however, i keep hearing from some of my buddys (all power stroke owners) about an issue with the cummins (both modified and stock) burning up #3 cylinder. anything to it?

lol....as i understand it, the cummins takes about 12,000 miles to fully break in. thats a long wait tom. :-)
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

dtt

Probably not, but since you intend to tow a lot with this truck, I'd still put a temp gauge in there. True, there's a tranny temp idiot light on the dash, but by the time that comes on, it's time to immediately pull over and let it cool off. I'd much rather be able to see the temp rising, so maybe I could manually downshift the tranny and get it back into lockup, so the temp will come down.

I wouldn't. They've just started producing a torque converter, whereas other companies (DTT and ATS) have been doing this for a long time.

Not that I've heard of. I have heard of people burning up #5 or #6 because of over-fueling (and improper monitoring of EGT's). There have been some issues with injectors sticking and torching a piston, but that could happen on any cylinder. These have been very few and far between... much less than, say, a 6.0L Powerstroke filling it's crankcase with diesel, for example :)

If you work it, yeah... I mean just give it a few thousand miles before putting any more power to it. Once you've got 500 miles on it, hook that trailer up, load it up with whatever, and drag it around for a couple hundred miles. That's the best way to break in a new engine. They like to work.

btw, you said the biggest tire i could run on an '02 dually is the 235/85r16. the '05 however, has a 17 inch wheel and i cant find any type of aggressive tire in 235/85r17. any suggestions?
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

Not really... the stock tire size is 235/80R17, and very few manufacturers offer a tire in that size. Goodyear, General, Cooper, and just last month Michelin, are about the only ones making a tire in that size. None of those are particularly aggressive. Pickings are particularly slim for a 17" rim... this is the price we pay for big brakes :)

hopefully somebody will step up to the plate with a decent off road tire for us.
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com
Nathan W. Collier wrote:

Man! That thing is saweet!

many thanks. the more i drive it, the more im glad i bought it. gotta get used to the dual fenders though, nearly took out the mailbox yesterday. i stopped only a couple inches before impact.
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com