New Ford Heavy Duty w/twin turbos?

Page 1 of 5
Anyone see the ad yet?
I have not gone to the web site site, but I wonder how much that extra turbo is helping the engine.
And the front end is a bit too roundish making it look a bit like it burns
rice than diesel.
See the ad in the paper few days ago. Said 6.4L Twin Turbo, but didn't say how much power or tourqe it had. I thought the new body style looked like crap.

It looks better in real life then it does in the photos but I'm no big fan of the latest Dodge body styles either. The advantage of the twin turbo's is faster spool-up which translates into much less lag for the amount of boost. I don't know if they are the variable geometry type or not.

"Scott" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

As I understand it, that is the reason for the 2 turbo's. Quicker low end grunt.

What does the automatic have to do with it???

Well that's the problem. At lower end you need more RPMs to run the turbos and I think most Fords do not have manual transmission.

If it was a manual trans to get more RPMs (hence more power) all I would of had to do was push in the clutch and release slowly to get the needed power. What else you going to do with automatic? Shift to to neutral, rev up the engine, and slam it into drive hoping you did not screw the tranny up?

which you can already get from the Cummins?
Yea, but you will get it much quicker with the Ford.
"GeekBoy" < snipped-for-privacy@nerdy.com> wrote in message

How do you figure?
Because the Fords variable turbo or it's new twin turbos are simply going to spool up faster and give you maximum boost sooner.
"Tom Lawrence" < snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net> wrote in message

And why won't the Cummins VG turbo spool just as quickly?
When did they start using them?
"Tom Lawrence" < snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Read up on the specs. of the 6.7L engine...

Hence 2 turbo's!!

Huh? Your clutch won't last too long following that procedure.

I guess it is probably better to go with the standard. Put it in first with the clutch pedal depressed bring the rpm up to what, 2500? Then I guess you dump the clutch, get out of the truck and pick up the parts.

that's probably exactly what he would do....he doesn't seem to understand that 0 mph = 0 rpm on the input shaft. with the clutch engaged that means 0 engine rpm also. thus no boost. atleast the auto will allow the engine to spool up some since the torque converter is a hydraulic coupling.
I damn sure wouldn't complain that the trans wasn't getting the job done because I had my truck so over loaded that it couldn't pull off from a stop.
--
----------------------------
-Chris

It was not overloaded. I was outpulling gassers going up a moutain only pulling their ligh weight fiberglass boats.
Next time try pulluing from a dead stop goingup more than a 10% incline..

been there done that
--
-Chris

That is the advantage of the twin turbo system. The turbines in the smaller turbo's have much less mass which allows them to spool up faster and require less exhaust pressure to do it which significantly reduces the problem that you had with your single large turbo. As for the transmission, the Ford dealers order most of their stock trucks with the automatic, just like most Dodge dealers because everyone knows how to drive them and most prefer them over manual shift which makes them easier to sell.

And you would cook your clutch in fairly short order. Just keep it in a lower gear until the boost builds up and you can do that with either type of trans.

Just lock it into first gear until the boost comes up. The TC will give you the slip you need in the mean time.

Yep. although from what I've read, the variable geometry turbo's are pretty good at doing that as well but they have more moving parts and are more expensive.

Probably shifting into the higher gears too soon and not allowing the turbo to spool up as fast as he wants.