New Ford Heavy Duty w/twin turbos?

Anyone see the ad yet?

I have not gone to the web site site, but I wonder how much that extra turbo is helping the engine.

And the front end is a bit too roundish making it look a bit like it burns rice than diesel.

Reply to
GeekBoy

Scott

It looks better in real life then it does in the photos but I'm no big fan of the latest Dodge body styles either. The advantage of the twin turbo's is faster spool-up which translates into much less lag for the amount of boost. I don't know if they are the variable geometry type or not.

Reply to
TBone

Well it's not liek its a racing truck. When I floor the accellerator, by boost goes up quit quick. It also does not help if you are pulling from a stand still.

Last year I was in a moutainous area with nearly a max load. I some performance goodies on it too.

I pulled into a shopping center. The exit out is a stop light on a steep incline. On the way out I was first in line so the entire vehicle and load and on the steep incline. When the light turned green I pushed the fuel pedal all the way to the floor and nothing happened at first. The engine was groaning and had no RPMs. thus the turbo charger was totally useless. Thought I was not going to make it up the hill. Never gonna buy another truck with automatic.

Reply to
GeekBoy

As I understand it, that is the reason for the 2 turbo's. Quicker low end grunt.

What does the automatic have to do with it???

Reply to
Roy

Well that's the problem. At lower end you need more RPMs to run the turbos and I think most Fords do not have manual transmission.

If it was a manual trans to get more RPMs (hence more power) all I would of had to do was push in the clutch and release slowly to get the needed power. What else you going to do with automatic? Shift to to neutral, rev up the engine, and slam it into drive hoping you did not screw the tranny up?

Reply to
GeekBoy

That's it? Another $3Gs or more for an extra tiny horse power and torque which you can already get from the Cummins?

Reply to
GeekBoy

Hence 2 turbo's!!

Huh? Your clutch won't last too long following that procedure.

I guess it is probably better to go with the standard. Put it in first with the clutch pedal depressed bring the rpm up to what, 2500? Then I guess you dump the clutch, get out of the truck and pick up the parts.

Reply to
Roy

You can take this with a grain of salt, I overheard a conversation while in TruckPro the other day. They say Ford dealers have stacks of turbos they're replacing and the word from Ford is don't idle them and don't let them sit for two weeks or more without starting them else the varible vanes lock up and require replacement. FWIW, YMMV.

Reply to
BigIronRam

That is the advantage of the twin turbo system. The turbines in the smaller turbo's have much less mass which allows them to spool up faster and require less exhaust pressure to do it which significantly reduces the problem that you had with your single large turbo. As for the transmission, the Ford dealers order most of their stock trucks with the automatic, just like most Dodge dealers because everyone knows how to drive them and most prefer them over manual shift which makes them easier to sell.

And you would cook your clutch in fairly short order. Just keep it in a lower gear until the boost builds up and you can do that with either type of trans.

Just lock it into first gear until the boost comes up. The TC will give you the slip you need in the mean time.

Reply to
TBone

Yea, but you will get it much quicker with the Ford.

Reply to
TBone

Is that on the new Fords or on the previous models? If that problem is with the previous models, that may be why they possibly went with two standard turbo's of smaller size then the one large variable one.

Reply to
TBone

Yep. although from what I've read, the variable geometry turbo's are pretty good at doing that as well but they have more moving parts and are more expensive.

Probably shifting into the higher gears too soon and not allowing the turbo to spool up as fast as he wants.

Reply to
TBone

Two more things on a ford to fu*king fall off.

Reply to
Scott Hendryx

Reading his post I was under the impression he was talking about a loaded truck from a dead stop.

Reply to
Roy

Why haven't the manufacturers used superchargers? It seems that would eliminate a lot of the lag.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Because superchargers use some of the engines power to make power and that reduces MPG and superchargers are nowhere near as controllable as turbo's have become.

Reply to
TBone

I was as well and came to the conclusion that he thinks that the auto trans is upshifting before his turbo spools up enough to give him the boost he wants but I could be wrong.

Reply to
TBone

How do you figure?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Then there's something wrong with your truck. With the torque converter unlocked, you should have been over 2,000 RPMs with the pedal floored.

Oh, that's right - you've got a DTT converter in there.... probably WAY too tight for a stock engine. It's not the fault of the truck or it's transmission - you altered the way it's supposed to perform.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence