New Ford Heavy Duty w/twin turbos?

Page 2 of 5

Reading his post I was under the impression he was talking about a loaded truck from a dead stop.

I was as well and came to the conclusion that he thinks that the auto trans is upshifting before his turbo spools up enough to give him the boost he wants but I could be wrong.

No. I have a DTT "SmartController" I activate while towing which allows for longer shift times, etc. I was talking about a heavy load from a full stop going up a 10% (or more) incline.

Then there's something wrong with your truck. With the torque converter unlocked, you should have been over 2,000 RPMs with the pedal floored.
Oh, that's right - you've got a DTT converter in there.... probably WAY too tight for a stock engine. It's not the fault of the truck or it's transmission - you altered the way it's supposed to perform.

for. I had one of their transmissions and converter in my 2K. But I also told them it was going to plow and tow a bit with it. It worked real well.

The guy who owned it pulled th wheel travel trailer. And towing perforance works very well.

What better?
It also has the "SmartController" tha goes along with it, and I alterd nothing.

I've heard of this problem with the automatic V10 Dodges too. Can't get the RPM up enough to pull. My 6 speed 04 and 5 speed 92 will start very heavy loads. No need to rev up the engine. 5.6 to 1 first gear :)
Al
wrote in message news:45d9efe2$0$28142

Strange that Tom has not heard of this. Goes to show ya can't know everything. Not to mention original owner switched out the read axle gears to 3.73 from the factory 3.53 or .54??. You would think that extra gear ratio would help out on such a condition. He made quite a few changes for the purpose of towing a 5th wheel travel trailer.

wrote in message news:45d9efe2$0$28142

Changing the rear gears from 3.73 to 3.54 would hurt startup power, not help it.
Al
wrote in message news:45d9efe2$0$28142

Why is that? the gear ratio is highermaking it easier for the engine to turn the rear wheels

You've got it backwards. With 3.73 gears the drive shaft turns 3.73 turns per turn of the rear wheels. With 3.54 gears, it's 3.54 turns. So it's harder to turn the shaft. Plus the total drive ratio is the transmission ratio, times the rear end ratio. So if you have a 3 to 1 ratio in the transmission and 3.73 rear gears, you have a total ratio of 11.19. That means the engine turns 11.19 turns for each turn of the rear tire. With 3.54 gears the final ratio would be 10.62. With 4.11 rear gears the final ratio would be 12.33. The more times the engine turns for each turn of the wheel the more torque is applied to the wheel.
Al

I think you just contradicted yourself. More torque means more power being applied thus easier the vehicle can tow. If the first part of you mention is true, then most 3500 duallys would come with 3.54 gears rather than 4.11

wrote in message news:45d9efe2$0$28142

Al, he said the original owner switched the gear to 3:73 from the factory gears of 3.54.
Roy

wrote in message news:45d9efe2$0$28142

You got it backwards dude, he went from a 3.5? to a 3.73

wrote in message news:45d9efe2$0$28142

So much for me helping:) Misread the post:)
Sorry,
Al
wrote in message news:45d9efe2$0$28142

With a DTT? They make the converter/ trans per the spec's of your truck and the intended use. I never had that problem. With the DTT, it was instant on. That is with a Cummins, not a ps.
Roy
You can take this with a grain of salt, I overheard a conversation while in TruckPro the other day. They say Ford dealers have stacks of turbos they're replacing and the word from Ford is don't idle them and don't let them sit for two weeks or more without starting them else the varible vanes lock up and require replacement. FWIW, YMMV.

Is that on the new Fords or on the previous models? If that problem is with the previous models, that may be why they possibly went with two standard turbo's of smaller size then the one large variable one.
"BigIronRam" < snipped-for-privacy@home.com> wrote in message
Why haven't the manufacturers used superchargers? It seems that would eliminate a lot of the lag.
Ken