new headlights

I bought projector headlights and installed them tonight. the low beams are working but I am getting a back feed on the high beams. let me explain, the low beams are bright, but the high beam indicator glows dim, the high beam bulbs have no glow. when I switch to high beams, the high and low are on but are very dim. the bulbs share the ground. do I need a resistor? or a different switch?

Reply to
krenelka

Where did you get those headlights? Brand/type etc.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Try reading the voltage directly across the battery and then at the bulb terminals. let us know what you get.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Sounds like my situation after I replaced my stock Ram headlights with quad-beam "Sport" models. The plugs for 9004 bulbs don't match 9007 bulbs.

A "RIK-RAM" relay kit from

and some time studying (horrible) Haynes wiring diagrams got me straightened out.

There's also the issue of ground-switched versus positive-switched systems. My '01 is ground-switched, I don't know about a '95. See

and scroll down to SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS FOR GROUND-SWITCHED SYSTEMS. I don't know if my wiring setup would relate to your projector headlights, but here it is.

-=chewy=-

I had a pretty much similiar problem with a dodge ram pickup truck once..... That truck had electrical problems all over the place! I got so fed up with it that I finally sold the darn thing and got another vehichle! I ended up rewiring it from front to back, redoing all the wiring inside, etc... Spent so much time re-wiring the truck and then the doors started sticking.... Stupid truck, the day I sold it, the doors started working.... I said "Good Riddence, Get out of here!"

Reply to
Fat Ass Fred

Billy,

I'm sorry that I don't have time to go out and check my '97's lights for grounding location, but barring any problem upstream (unlikely since they worked just fine before, right?), I've traced backfeed problems to a bad ground 90% of the time...try a jumper from batt neg. to ground point if you don't have a multimeter.

Let us know...

J> I bought projector headlights and installed them tonight. the low beams are

Reply to
Jon

Testing Complete. here the results: SONAR Headlight tested at the OEM plug, Battery shows 12v (no tenth's on meter) low beam pos. with battery ground shows 10v, with harness ground 10v. OEM headlight low beam pos with battery ground shows 11v harness ground shows 11v. harness ground shows 12v with pos at battery.

Now than, when the low beams are on I am getting a glow from the high beam indicator.

High beams and low beams show 5v with the same testing points as above.

I am assuming that the pos circuit runs thru the headlight switch and the dimmer switch.

I am planning to directly ground the headlights to the battery's (2 group 27 deep cycle) than installing relays on the pos side with pos directly from battery and using the OEM wires for triggers.

What do you think?

Reply to
krenelka

ok, I feel like an idiot. I was assuming that the new headlights were wired correctly. I was wrong.

when unplugged the OEM plug on low beam reads pin 1 pos, pin 2 neg, pin 3 neg. high beams read pin 1 neg, pin 2 pos, pin 3 neg.

the new head lights used pin 2 as the common circuit. I rewired the plugs to use pin 3 as the common circuit, now everything is working correctly.

Reply to
krenelka