New truck!

Hey everyone, just traded in my 2002 Dodge 1500 4x4 (5.9 gas) on a brand new 2006 2500 4x4 Reg Cab SLT with the other 5.9:) It was sitting on the dealers lot since March of 2006 so I was able to get a good deal on it. (Seems like regular cabs are not popular here in Southern California...) My kids are all moved out so it's just the wife and I and usually just me so a Reg Cab is perfect for us. It had

45 miles on the odometer. I'll be towing a travel trailer (20ft) with it all over the Western USA when not daily drivering it back and forth to work. BTW, it is averaging 16 mpg for my 20 mile each way commute, so it's already doing way better than my old gas 4x4.

Anyway, back to the reason for the post. Do I have to worry about any of the fluids, seals or anything else on this truck since it has been mostly just sitting for over a year on the dealers lot? For example, the tires had some checking on them from sitting in the sun all that time. I have not noticed any leaks or seeping yet but it still only has 240 miles on her.

I'm also wondering about any non-typical to a gass engine guy maintenance. I already noticed that the 2500 actually has a few zerk fittings I'll have to grease once in a while, didn't have any of those on the 2002 1500!

Any suggestions or concerns for me to keep an eye out for are appreciated!

FWIW I've owned 3 other Dodge trucks over the years and never had a single issue with any of them. But this is my first diesel, so... I have been hearing great things about the Cummins for years though:)

Thanks,

Cliff

Reply to
HammerTime

First thing I'd do is change the engine oil (but I'd do that after a few hundred miles on a new vehicle anyway), grease anything greasable (which, in your case, is only the outer tie rod ends, and I believe the CV joint on the front driveshaft)

Maintenance is pretty straight-forward.... basic fluid changes when called for in the service manual. The only thing new for you is going to be the fuel filter - should get changed every 10-15K, depending on fuel quality. Also, for the first couple of months, drain the water separator at least once a week, until you get a feel for how much (if any) water you get from your fuel (again, varies based on quality of the supply). The little yellow lever at the base of the fuel filter canister (driver's side of the engine, low and near the firewall) will drain the fuel/water down the clear plastic hose. Another tip: get a 3/8" double-ended hose barb (sold as a hose repair kit), and a length of 3/8" hose (clear vinyl tubing will do fine), and extend that factory hose. I have mine tucked up under my front bumper - this way, I simply reach under the bumper, pull the tube out, and can drain the fuel into a can. Otherwise, you get diesel spilling all over your front axle.

I recommend only Fleetguard oil and fuel filters, as does Cummins. Buy them a few at a time at

- good prices, and they always have them in stock.

Use a good quality 15W40 diesel-rated oil - several popular brands are Shell Rotella-T, Chevron Delo 400, Mobil Delvac 1300, or Valvoline Premium Blue. One's just as good as the other, though many (including myself) find an unpleasant odor after an oil change with Rotella that lasts about a week or so.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Thanks for this Tom. You answered some of my unasked questions.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Thank you Tom, your help and suggested is/are appreciated!

Cliff

Reply to
HammerTime

You can get Fleetguard or Baldwin filters at most any heavy truck dealership to cover your needs. Chances are they will be cheaper for the shear volume they use and sell over the parts counter.

Reply to
Roger Rabbid