New Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel in 2007

Does anyone have any information about how this new Ultra Low Sulfur diesel that will be at the pumps starting very soon will impact the diesels, like mine (2004 Ram 2500 CRD). I may not have a good grasp on
fuel but it is my understanding the the sulfur content, up to 500ppm currently in the diesel fuel we use is dropping to 15ppm. Since sulfur acts as a lubricant, I was wondering what impact, if any, it will have.
Craig C. 2004 Ram 2500, CRD, 4x4, QC

Sulphur does not act as a lubricant. However, the process that's used to eliminate the sulphur also decreases the fuel's lubricity. End result is the same, but it's how you get there that matters :)
Engine manufacturers have known about these coming changes for a while now, and the injection pumps, injectors, etc. that rely on fuel for their lubrication are designed to work with the ULSD fuels. It shouldn't be a problem.
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 01:43:35 GMT, "Tom Lawrence"

Not that long, EPA passed the rule in early 2005 and it would likely not been a factor at all in a 2004 because it would have been designed a year or two before that.
Below is a link to some info on low sulpher fuel problems for those that want to learn a bit more about it and what problems are being seen where it has been used for a while.
http://forum.snoman.com/viewtopic.php?t "7 ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Alright, I am edumacated now that I have read more of Snomans propaganda!

A comment like that tell others how uneducated and close minded you realy are. Knowledge if free to aquire and it is stupid not to expand it. A intelligent person considers info from all sources possible and then draws their own conclusuion AFTER reviewing the info and not basing conclusion on source. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

How about you jump your ass back to the V 10 thread and answer the questions!! Perhaps you will expand your knowledge. Actually you should have some knowledge on a subject before you post. Guess we won't be reading anymore of your BS

Damn, you can't even get proper research techniques correct.
When researching, a person ALWAYS takes into account the source of the info and weights the relevance/accuracy of the info accordingly.
--
Max

The credibility of a source isn't important? Maybe on your planet.
Tom Lawrence wrote:

Ah ... well I did mention that I was fuel ignorant. :)

After I posted, I continued to search for articles on the matter and there is some agreement among many mechanics that the increased lubricity in bio-diesel, if one were to run B20 (20% bio and 80% ULSC), makes up for the difference. Yet, Cummins won't commit to anything greater than B5 on engines older than 2006.
It will be intersting to watch it all unfold, I suppose.
Meanwhile, Willie Nelson put in couple of BioWillie (yes ... it is really called BioWillie) pumps (B20 & B100) about 10 minutes from my house. I'm gonna give it shot.
Craig C.
.

i run b20 when i can. and have no complaints.
i have noticed a reduction in smoke, no real notible drop in mpg or power.
--
----------------------------
-Chris
Chris Thompson wrote:

You know, I've heard many people say that, but honestly I don't know how I would be able to tell. On regular diesel (I usually fill up at Phillips 66/Conoco), my truck does not smoke unless I bury the accelerator, which has happened ... twice. One of those times was to see if I could get it to smoke. :-)
Otherwise, there is never any smoke at all. I have even driven behind it in a different car while the girlfriend drove my truck ... no smoke. Is my truck an exception to the rule for the 305/555 engine?
Craig C.

uh when I put my foot down on the floor it goes clank. *grin*
yes there usually is no noticeable smoke in normal driving, but I play, a lot =)
you've only buried the accel twice??? sheesh! I passed that on the first day.
--
----------------------------
-Chris

We love the liberty, tara sees 23/24 mpg on her daily driving, she drives a lot of highway as her work is in drybranch GA witch is about 30 min away by interstate. she runs it hard too i bet if i drove it and kept it closer to 70 on the interstate you could see closer to the epa's claim of 30 highway. it handles pulling the boat fairly nicely for a small truck, and have used to to move the tractor when i hurt my left leg and was uncomfortable driving the stick for a few days. so far the only things we've had to do to is, 1 fuse (cell phone charger shorted) and the #3 glow plug shorted and turned the check engine light on. the ride is surprisingly smooth for such a small vehicle. the "clack" at highway is a touch louder than in the cummins but the turbo "wistle" is much more subdued so i guess you trade one noise for another. but niether truck is anymore obnoxios than the other at interstate speeds. i still havent had a good oportunity to put the liberty on a trip, hoping sometime around the 1st of the year we can go and see the inlaws in KY and put the liberty through the paces.
--
----------------------------
-Chris

oh yea by the way, something i should warn you about. the steering ratio is much quicker than the ram. what would be a small correction in the ram is a pritty quick move in the liberty. no big deal just takes some getting used to everytime i get in the liberty.
--
-Chris

Chris, thanks much for the info.
Roy

Why are you such a piece of shit?
--
"I am such a Stinky Fat Matter" - Why bother?

The Odiferous Fat Matter
I checked with Stanadyne as I use their fuel conditioner & according to them, the lubricity level will be taken care of at the refinery - just adding another additive?? Someone ask one of the refineries!