Newbie Questions

Have a chance to get a 2003 Dakota SLT 4 door pickup. Are there any things I should look for. Will go this weekend for a test drive.
Cecil

I bought a new 2004 Dakota QuadCab SLT Plus with 287 V8 and 5 speed manual trans. Here are the things that have gone wrong so far (after 2.5 years and 11,000 miles): - One spark plug coil - One cracked emergency brake outer sheath. Rearmost drivers side. The replacement was obviously redesigned. - Two broken big hose radiator clamps. Note - If you have the factory warranty, do not add water in order to drive it to the dealer. Make them come and get it. DC will NOT reimburse you for anything you added or a coolant flush at the dealer. - Secondary steering shaft replaced. There was a clunking in the front end, driver's side. - B-Pillar trim replaced on both sides. It kept slipping down, leaving a gap a the top.
I haven't had the problem with ball joints, but I don't have many miles on mine. I have read in this forum that this is fairly common. Don't get the idea that I am complaining. I really like my Dakota and it serves my needs perfectly. It is also one of the few light trucks that you can get a V8 with a manual trans. Plus it really looks great, being red and silver. Our local dealer treats me like royalty when I bring it in, and I really like the vehicle. I did buy the extended warranty though. Larry
Thank You. The price seems low for a dealer. That's why I'm curious. In photos it looks really nice and clean. They're asking 10.500 for 11000 miles. What do you think?
Cecil

I would go to the Edmunds site and plug in all the details on the truck. I think they give pretty reasonable estimates. You need to state all the equipment on the vehicle before you can get an estimate. V6 or V8? Auto or Manual? Air, pw, pl, ps, cruise, sliding rear window, two tone paint, cap, etc. etc. etc.... Larry

I had an '02 for a couple of years. Only problems were warped/cracked front brake rotors - which seems to be normal for any Chrysler (Jeep/ Dodge) product. Great truck other than the absolutely unacceptable gas mileage.

That's high for a V6 2-wheel-drive quad cab and low for a V8 4x4 quad cab. Remember though, at $3+/gal for fuel, it's tough to give away a vehicle that gets 12 miles per gallon. Look up the book value. They paid a couple grand under trade-in. Don't pay more than "private party" value. Despite what they say, it is not in "Excellent" condition.
-rev