Nitrogen Gas

Page 2 of 2
wrote:

As I understand it, the nitrogen will not absorb moisture as air does. So if you aren't into autox, regular air should work for everybody.

You gave it away! Ya had wiley coyote going there for a momnet.
beekeep
aarcuda69062 wrote:

How did you get that high?? First off you have to consider the humidity level as well as the green house gasses in your region. I can only get 77.995% here in AZ where its very dry.

Damn, you caught me rounding up...
From How Stuff Works:
Many race car teams use nitrogen instead of air in their tires because nitrogen has a much more consistent rate of expansion and contraction compared to the usual air. Often, a half pound of pressure will radically affect traction and handling. With track and tire temperatures varying over the duration of a race, the consistency of nitrogen is needed. Nitrogen pressure is more consistent than normal air pressure, because air typically contains varying amounts of moisture due to changes in the relative humidity on race day. Water causes air to be inconsistent in its rate of expansion and contraction. So, a humid race in the southeast United States or a dry race in the desert western United States could make for unpredictable tire pressures if "dry" nitrogen were not used.
Nitrogen is also used in the high-pressure tires on large and small aircraft.
END QUOTE
Bottom line, nitrogen is better. It also costs more, and one would have to carry a tank with them to keep the tires topped off. If one did not have a flat, or something to cause the use of large volumes of nitrogen, a small tank would suffice, probably in the 40 cubic foot range. A simple regulator and filler hose would work.
Is it worth all that extra? Maybe if you're running NASCAR, but for regular freeway driving, an 80/20 mix of regular compressed air would seem good enough for me. (even though the 80/20 description is not totally accurate to the nth degree, much as the .357/.22 arguments recently demonstrated) <g>
Steve

Bingo! Also used in the air guns.
I left MA with 32 psi in all 4 tires. Now they are showing 37 -38 psi he in FL

I know air guns use it, it all I use in my paintball marker. I know of the reason/advantages in the paint marker, I was thinking that is truck tires in AZ it might have some benifit.

All you need is a little hot air from AlGore, and it brings it up to the proper level. Of course, then you have to listen to the lectures while you're driving to maintain proper pressure.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

True. I can correct for the excess CO2 in the air mass by offsetting it with a few carbon footprint reduction expenditures elsewhere. I bought a dog that craps everywhere causing weeds to grow that absorb the CO2.

Over rated as far as I am concerned for mom and pop's car tires. If you are racing or flying airplanes then it is a different story. The only benefit I can see for everyday use is the expansion issue, but then few people check their tires often enough to make a difference. Also, if nitrogen leaks out of tires at a lower rate than air, I figure if I have a small leak, what is left is nitro anyway! ;-) Greg

All the cup cars use it.
beekeep

I fill my tires with 78% Nitrogen, 20.95% Oxygen, 0.93% Argon and 0.04% CO2.
Seems to work well.
:-) Craig C.

You guys are all so funny!! I am sure that Denny and Roy fill theirs with methane after eating all those nasty burgers!

WTF!! It is the friggin' Rabbit that is trying to pay off all those football bet's he lost to me last year with White Castle burgers.
I'm saying foul, I want a steak!!

How about some Hosenfeffer (sp) !!

Personally, I suggest you try more Argon. At 0.93%, it's feeling a bit left out. And ... because it has 18 electrons (2 + 8 + 8), it will make your ride more stable.
:-) Craig C.
azwiley1 wrote:

This topic comes up regularly in aviation groups. You can read this discussion <http://tinyurl.com/2utaen that begins with "Michelin recomends inflating tires with nitrogen."
Some comments from Drew Dalgleish stand out:
"At work I run a large front end loader. About a year ago the company switched from air filled to nitrogen filled at the recommendation of the tire supplier. Used to be at the end of an 8 hour shift the tires would be hot to touch or too hot to touch. Now they're just pleasantly warm."
"Tire pressure is checked daily and hasn't been changed. Heavy equipment tires are expensive ( $5000-20000 for the ones we use ) and there's now up to a 6 month waiting period for new ones. They take tire care seriously where I work."
--
In girum imus nocte
et consumimur igni