No 1/2 ton diesel

I emailed Dodge to see if they were planning on offering a diesel 1/2 ton 1500 or Dakota next year or in the near future. Their response was negative which was the same response I received after also emailing GM and Ford. Toyota states on their web page that they have no plans to introduce diesel engines in the U.S. any time soon. Nissan didn't respond but I wouldn't buy one of their butt ugly trucks anyway. With the advent of low sulfur diesel this fall in the U.S., along with the ever rising price of gas, it would seem now would be the perfect time for the introduction of a 1/2 ton diesel. Dodge did say the Dakota will be offered with a flex-fuel engine option for 2007. If it's a V8 I guess that'll be my next truck.

Reply to
Electrician

i still dont see why they wouldnt. the CRD in the liberty is awsome.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

All of the current diesels that American automakers put in their light duty pickups would be too heavy for 1/2 ton and Dakota vehicles to handle.

Why are you stuck on 1/2 tons? Step up to a 3/4 ton pickup or Ford Excursion if you desire an SUV.

Reply to
Advocate

there again you forget the liberty. its using a small 1.6 litre 4cyl turbo diesel putting out 160 hp & 295 ft lb of torque.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

How can a Jeep Liberty handle the weight of a diesel engine if a 1/2 ton can't?

I have limited space in my garage and a Dakota fits in it quite nicely. The Dakota has all the advantages of a full size truck without the size. A diesel would make it a real stump puller.

Reply to
Electrician

But the Liberty isn't a light duty pickup...Who makes the engine used in the Jeep?

Reply to
Advocate

There is a very big reason for this. Diesel are very bad NOx emission generators (about as bad as 7 to 10 like gas trucks) and they have gotten by for years because there was no serious regs to limit it. Well, that changes in 2008 big time and detriot is struggling to meet it with current models and it only gets tighter in coming years which makes them a lot less atractive to auto manufactures for compliance.

2007 diesel emissons are nothing compared to NOx limits that start in 2008 and get even tighter after that. I look for diesel to lose favor in the next 5 to 7 years in detriot because of this because they will cost more to make, warrant for emissions and that together with cheap diesel fuel being gone for good all adds up to a less than bright future for them in SUV's. Starting in 08 they will have full fludge CAT's on them too, not just the current thermal reactors for particulates that are called CAT's by some.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

The diesel going into the new Caliber in Europe is a VW built TDI. No reason that could not go into a light duty pickup.

***
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

The Jeep Liberty diesel is made by VM Motori of Italy

It is designated R 425 DOHC. A major reason you will not see this in a RAM 1500 is because DC is scared it would be a hit. A hit with those who would otherwise buy a 2500 Cummins powered diesel, in which case they would loose money on the sale and also on the maintenance. Remember 2500 and 3500 series trucks are cash cows for auto makers. Until the stats show a diesel 1/2 ton would generate enough new buyers or enough buyers from a different segment to replace the loss of larger truck sales you will not see it.

Reply to
td

yes i know the liberty isnt a p/u but that wasnt my point. the point was i believe that would be an ideal engine for that platform.

and as i understand it the CRD is made by an italian based company (cant remember the name of it now)

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

we arent suggesting replaceing the cummins with the 4 cyl. but instead putting the 4cyl in the dakota/durango chassis

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Cummins makes a prefectly good 4 cylinder engine -- the 4BT. It's essentially the same engine as a 6AT in the 2500 but its got 2 less cylinders.

Reply to
David Reston

My girl is going to buy a Liberty. We test drove it the other day in it was a 2.8 liter turbo. Are you sure you have a 1.6?

Craig C.

Reply to
craig

Actually, the thread opened with the question of a diesel in a half ton pickup truck. It did not specify what pickup, Ram or Dakota, was to have this. Thus the confusion.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Correct. However, it weighs about 2/3 as much, or around 750lbs. Bit much for a half ton or small pickup. It also has the same height dimension as the

6BT version, which means its too tall to fit under a smaller pickup's hood.

This is likely the reason why the 4BT wasn't used for the Liberty.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Actually there was a Liberty pickup... The Eliminator. A Liberty with the back turned into a bed and front a cab.

Reply to
GeekBoy

im sorry i was reverting back to other engines in my mind. i wrote that after a 13 hour night shift in the factory. i was more than just a little fried. forgive my error on the displacement of the engine.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

No apology necessary ... I was thinking that perhaps DC offered two different CRD's. I would still want the bigger of the two, mind you. :-)

I was quite impressed with the CRD Liberty. Very much worth the $$$.

Craig C.

Reply to
craig

naturally i would agree *grin*

we love it. thing is stout and Tara is reporting 25 mpg to and from work looking forward to first trip to the lake with it (and the boat of course) and the first long road trip to KY to see the inlaws in it. im looking forward to impressive performance and mpg out of it. if the round town numbers are any indication naturally.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson