Noise Sounds Like Dragging Muffler

Threaded View

I have a 2001 Dakota and it is making a noise from behind the cab
somewhere that sounds like I'm dragging my muffler (metal on the road
sound) or something rattling under the bed. Nothing is dragging back
there though. The sound gets faster asI drive faster and happens
mostly as I accelerate or hit a bump. Applying the brakes or putting
the transmission in neutral does not stop the sound. The sound is not
consistent either. I took the drums off the rear wheels yesterday and
nothing came out that would indicate an object rolling around in the
brakes. I also tried to shake or turn the prop shaft and that was very
solid.

Any suggestions?

--
Jerry

Re: Noise Sounds Like Dragging Muffler

Did you check the guard on the cat??

Re: Noise Sounds Like Dragging Muffler

I haven't. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check that tonight.

--
Jerry

Re: Noise Sounds Like Dragging Muffler

Elements breaking loose INSIDE the cat converter can also create a
buzzing/rattling sound....

I haven't. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check that tonight.

--
Jerry

Re: Noise Sounds Like Dragging Muffler

Suddenly, without warning, Roy exclaimed (3/18/2008 12:18 AM):

He has a feline in the back and someone to make sure it stays there,
quietly?

:)

jmc

Re: Noise Sounds Like Dragging Muffler

I can't wait for the rabbit to respond to this.<G>

Roy

Re: Noise Sounds Like Dragging Muffler

It ain't gonna happen. The ole girl walked away in a huff so I ain't
responding....   <VBG>

Denny

Re: Noise Sounds Like Dragging Muffler

Well, it did, and you did. What a response it was!!<G> Your on your own with
this one pal.
<BFG>

Roy

Re: Noise Sounds Like Dragging Muffler

When all else fails, dig a deeper hole....  <G>

Denny

Re: Noise Sounds Like Dragging Muffler

Yup, you are correct. But you are useing one hell of a  big shovel.<BG>

Roy

Site Timeline