Noise Sounds Like Dragging Muffler

I have a 2001 Dakota and it is making a noise from behind the cab somewhere that sounds like I'm dragging my muffler (metal on the road sound) or something rattling under the bed. Nothing is dragging back there though. The sound gets faster asI drive faster and happens mostly as I accelerate or hit a bump. Applying the brakes or putting the transmission in neutral does not stop the sound. The sound is not consistent either. I took the drums off the rear wheels yesterday and nothing came out that would indicate an object rolling around in the brakes. I also tried to shake or turn the prop shaft and that was very solid.

Any suggestions?

-- Jerry

Did you check the guard on the cat??

I haven't. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check that tonight.

-- Jerry

Elements breaking loose INSIDE the cat converter can also create a buzzing/rattling sound....

I haven't. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check that tonight.

-- Jerry

Suddenly, without warning, Roy exclaimed (3/18/2008 12:18 AM):

He has a feline in the back and someone to make sure it stays there, quietly?

:)

jmc

I can't wait for the rabbit to respond to this.<G>

Roy

It ain't gonna happen. The ole girl walked away in a huff so I ain't responding.... <VBG>

Denny

Well, it did, and you did. What a response it was!!<G> Your on your own with this one pal. <BFG>

Roy

When all else fails, dig a deeper hole.... <G>

Denny

Yup, you are correct. But you are useing one hell of a big shovel.<BG>

Roy