OBD Codes/reader

I'm coming up to my 15,000 mile oil change, and I figure my check engine light will come on like it did for the first.
What's the sequence for getting the codes to display, for clearing them, and
what's a good reader that won't cost as much as a set of tire?
And is there a site that has all the codes so I can decipher them?
Steve

Your check engine light doesn't come on to remind you about maintenance - only when something is actually wrong.

You can display the codes on the odometer by cycling the ignition ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON. To clear them, you need an OBD-II scan tool - disconnecting the battery doesn't do it anymore.
check Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com ) - they have some cheap OBD-II readers for around $50

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes /

Tom, does that work on a 06?

Yep
In addition to the OBD-II codes, there's a separate check sequence to display any instrument cluster codes. In the 3rd gen trucks, the IC is the "brains" for most all cab-related functions - power windows, power locks, etc. While holding the trip odometer reset button in, turn the ignition to ON. Release the button when the gauges go into self-test. At the end, and cluster codes in the form of xx nn will display. That means 'code xx occurred nn ignition cycles ago'. You can find a list of cluster codes on TDR, or I can dig them up here somewhere.
Note that the cluster codes have nothing to do with powertrain performance - strictly electronic stuff in the dash/cab.

the
and
performance -

Hot damn you're good!!