OBD Codes/reader

I'm coming up to my 15,000 mile oil change, and I figure my check engine light will come on like it did for the first.

What's the sequence for getting the codes to display, for clearing them, and what's a good reader that won't cost as much as a set of tire?

And is there a site that has all the codes so I can decipher them?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Your check engine light doesn't come on to remind you about maintenance - only when something is actually wrong.

You can display the codes on the odometer by cycling the ignition ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON. To clear them, you need an OBD-II scan tool - disconnecting the battery doesn't do it anymore.

check Harbor Freight

- they have some cheap OBD-II readers for around $50

Tom Lawrence

Tom, does that work on a 06?

Reply to
Roy

Yep

In addition to the OBD-II codes, there's a separate check sequence to display any instrument cluster codes. In the 3rd gen trucks, the IC is the "brains" for most all cab-related functions - power windows, power locks, etc. While holding the trip odometer reset button in, turn the ignition to ON. Release the button when the gauges go into self-test. At the end, and cluster codes in the form of xx nn will display. That means 'code xx occurred nn ignition cycles ago'. You can find a list of cluster codes on TDR, or I can dig them up here somewhere.

Note that the cluster codes have nothing to do with powertrain performance - strictly electronic stuff in the dash/cab.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

performance -

Hot damn you're good!!