Oh NO! Dakota Heater core leak!

Why does Chrysler insist on burying parts designed to wear out behind so much other stuff. Parts with a 3-5 year life expectancy should not require

8-12 hours labor to replace. My 2000 dakota has a heater core leak. The Entire Dash has to be removed, then the heater /Evap box has to be removed and that means the A/C must be emptied flushed and refilled with r134. 8-12 hours shop time for a 100.00 part. Plus who knows what else will need replacing along the way!

Dodge has done crap like this for years and I hoped it had wised up. And this is just WRONG on SOO MANY LEVELS!

Anyone got any tricks to help a poor $ap save about a grand a do it himself.

Reply to
John Doe

Like Judge Judy says "You picked it."

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

John:

It is unfortunate that your heater core has failed however be assured that Chryco is not the only manufacturer that "buries" the heater core in the I/P. Virtually all manufacturers that I am aware of do the very same thing.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

I had to remove the right front fender of a Buick just to replace the heater motor.

6 in one hand and half to much in the other.

JAM

Reply to
hoi polloi

Reply to
John Doe

Not in this case. But you could look at a service manual and see what it says. Or talk to a tech and he may have another idea. There often easy ways around things, other than going by the book. But often it means cutting or grinding you way in there and that is often not nice.

The problem is just not with Dodge, but a lot of newer vehicles. Try a Ford Aerostar, with all the options, and you'll be loving you Dodge truck.

To pull the motor on an Aerostar, you have to undo all the front suspension components and remove the engine and tranny by lifting the vehicle overhead. Fun!

Reply to
nevermore2005

Pour a can of "Bars Leak" in it. Hell, it just could stop leaking for years. So many Garys and Clydes ..so.. "Leroy"

Reply to
Leroy