Oh NO! Dakota Heater core leak!

Why does Chrysler insist on burying parts designed to wear out behind so much other stuff. Parts with a 3-5 year life expectancy should not require
8-12 hours labor to replace. My 2000 dakota has a heater core leak. The Entire Dash has to be removed, then the heater /Evap box has to be removed and that means the A/C must be emptied flushed and refilled with r134. 8-12 hours shop time for a 100.00 part. Plus who knows what else will need replacing along the way!
Dodge has done crap like this for years and I hoped it had wised up. And this is just WRONG on SOO MANY LEVELS!
Anyone got any tricks to help a poor $ap save about a grand a do it himself.
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:47:14 -0800, "John Doe"

Like Judge Judy says "You picked it."
beekeep
John:
It is unfortunate that your heater core has failed however be assured that Chryco is not the only manufacturer that "buries" the heater core in the I/P. Virtually all manufacturers that I am aware of do the very same thing.
Mike

John Doe wrote:

I had to remove the right front fender of a Buick just to replace the heater motor.
6 in one hand and half to much in the other.
JAM
A fender removal is tough but beats the he<< out of a complete dash removal and dropping the steering wheel, and evac + recharge of the A/C system. I had several vehicles that were easy to moderate in difficulty for the same job. My 02 exploder took 20 minutes and the old mustang took an hour or so. Dodge van in the late 80s took 12 hours. Had a gm that took a couple hours leisurely. Any mfr that buries the heater core should guarantee it for the life of the car. They CAN make them easier, they just want to stick it to you for repairs.

No you didnt, theres a template to cut out the inner fender panel...

require
removed,
be
100.00
himself.
John Doe wrote:

himself.
Not in this case. But you could look at a service manual and see what it says. Or talk to a tech and he may have another idea. There often easy ways around things, other than going by the book. But often it means cutting or grinding you way in there and that is often not nice.
The problem is just not with Dodge, but a lot of newer vehicles. Try a Ford Aerostar, with all the options, and you'll be loving you Dodge truck.
To pull the motor on an Aerostar, you have to undo all the front suspension components and remove the engine and tranny by lifting the vehicle overhead. Fun!
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:47:14 -0800, "John Doe"

Pour a can of "Bars Leak" in it. Hell, it just could stop leaking for years. So many Garys and Clydes ..so.. "Leroy"