OIL pressure sending unit SOCKET SIZE?

can anyone tell me what size socket fits the oil pressure sending unit on a 94 dakota 3.9? we are guessing it is a 26mm deep, but no one has one to try. i hate to buy the wrong size. thanks, i can't tell if the old one is the same as the new one, or i would buy one to fit the new. we tried a 1" (too small) and 1 1/6 (too big) on the one in there. is there a special socket needed?

Reply to
joe

i should say we tried a 1 1/16 12 point socket. i see a size 1 1/16 socket listed as a sending unit socket. will a 1 1/16 six point socket work?

Reply to
joe

take the new unit and buy what fits it , a cresentwrench caliper reading will give you the an accuate enough size reading from the old unit to the new.

Reply to
samstone

There is a special socket for these. You need the particular socket for it, it's not a standard 6, 8 or 12 point. If you can get to it with an open end wrench (that's never happened to me with the engine in the vehicle) one of the larger wrenches will work, can't recall the size off hand.

Reply to
BigIronRam

Here's a link to what you need.

BigIronRam

On my 360 the sender is tall. I had to find a very deep 1 1/16 socket with a thin wall. Started looking around here and found a metric socket that fit it. KD # 3458 looks like it would work.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Was in Auto Zone today. They have a 1 1/16" socket that looks like it will work for $7.00. It's 1/2" drive.

Al

Reply to
Big Al