oil problem with my truck

I have a 97 dodge ram 1500 - 318 motor. I rebuilt the engine last summer and I am loosing oil. I just pulled the spark plugs and none of them are black or seem to have any oil in it. I can see no oil leaks and no oil
on the ground when parked. If the oil was going out the exhaust pipe wouldnt I see evidence on the plugs??
Anyone got any suggestions??
it would take some time for the spark plugs to foul out if you are burning oil you would see blue smoke coming out of the tell pipe. make sure the oil filter is stunge on the block
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:18:36 -0400, "Bigtexasshadetree"

If the exhaust guides are bad, the plugs won't foul, and if the cat is working well you will NOT see any smoke.
The heads were rebuilt 6 months ago when I rebuilt the engine. If the oil was going through the exhaust valve wouldnt I see "SOME" evidence of it on the spark plugs.
Im going to take the truck to the car wash and give it a good clean on top and under neath the engine area just to make sure there is no leaks. Boy this really makes no sense to me...
snipped-for-privacy@sny.der.on.ca wrote:

never see the oil. Exhaust gas from the engine burns off the oil, and the cat burns off the smoke.

"psion" wrote: > I have a 97 dodge ram 1500 - 318 motor. I rebuilt the engine > last summer > and I am loosing oil. I just pulled the spark plugs and none > of them are > black or seem to have any oil in it. I can see no oil leaks > and no oil > on the ground when parked. If the oil was going out the > exhaust pipe > wouldnt I see evidence on the plugs?? > > Anyone got any suggestions??
remove pcv valve from right valve cover with engine running and put your finger in the hole for 5 to 10 seconds, if you feel vacuum the intake manifold lower plenum gasket is blown out on the bottom of the intake manifold. very common problem on these vehicles. note will also cause lean miss or ping.
psion wrote:

Has it been consuming oil ever since the rebuild, or is it a recent problem?
It has been consuming oil since the rebuild and before the rebuild too. It was worst prior to the rebuild, a couple of the plugs would foul over time. When I pulled the plugs I was sure I would see oil residue on a plug or two, but nothing
Nosey wrote:

Did you replace or have the heads rebuilt when you rebuilt the bottom end.

"psion" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Yes, the heads was rebuilt by a reputable machine shop.
TBone wrote:

psion wrote:

Are you using synthetic oil?

see the TSB relative to a bad Intake Manifold Plenum Gasket:
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2000/09-05-00.htm
Woody; 95FXDS