Oil Smoke Test

Is there any test that can be performed to verify oil smoke from the tail pipe besides just looking at it? The climate is getting cold here and there
is a lot of steam/smoke/something coming from the tailpipe. How can one test for certain if it is or is not oil other than visually?
Abby.Normal wrote:

Get an emissions test?
--
Ken

Take a glass of ice water, and hold it in the exhaust stream. If you get a lot of condensation, then it's just that - water. If it doesn't condense, then you're burning something else (most likely oil, though oil tends to have a bluish tint to it when burned). Does it go away once the engine's warmed up?
However, if you smell it, and it smells like anti-freeze, that's a big problem. With the vehicle cold, remove the radiator cap, and start it up. Look for bubbles coming up through the coolant. Bubbles=blown head gasket.
My guess it it's just water vapor condensing in the cooler air.
I went back out and started the engine after we drove it from my daughter's apartment to here, about 15 minutes. There was nothing visible from the exhaust stream this time. On the way here it seemed like a lot though.
Thanks for the test suggestion. That makes a lot of sense. I will try that this afternoon when I get some time to work on it.

pressure test on what? compression tests won't show oil rings or valve stem seals into the combustion chamber. I'm not sure what to get a pressure test on exactly.