oil viscosity

Page 2 of 3
Not a thing wrong with either. Though I think you have a hard on for both. Hmmm, I must consult with Dr. Freud on your behalf.

ohhh. that is an ugly picture. don't get any ideas barrell, your gonna have to hit the rest stops to get any action. sorry. not that i have a problem with that lifestyle, i just don't happen to "swing" that way.

My 2000 Dakota owner's manual says for the 2.5, 3.9, and 5.9, 10W30 is preferred and acceptable at all temperatures above 0 F. It says 5W30 should be used if it is expected temperatures will be below 0F but not over 100 F.
They list 5W30 as preferred for the 4.7, and acceptable at all temperatures under 100 F.

You folks talking about oil and what to use and not to use brought this to mind. Years ago 10w-30 or 40 were just fine. After the non stop trip to Fl. I checked the oil, actually checked a couple of times enroute. Anyway down 1/2 quart so I looked in the om to see what to get so I could add, 0w-40 Mobil1 at $5.90 a quart. Seems a whole lot thin to me, but that's what they want in it. So with all the bs about warranty claims I'm not about to put anything else in it.

How could using a different viscosity oil other then what the om RECOMMENDS void or in anyway create an issue with the warrany? Mike, care to chim in here?
Kar wrote:

Wipe a bearing with a oil that is thicker and they could claim restricted flow. I know the 6.1 hemi in the charger has piston squirter's, maybe they are the reason.
With my Z06, GM would void a transmission if it did not have the factory recommended stuff in it. I switched to red line and had to take it out, Story was it was too slippery and the syncros needed more friction to work properly. The ZF box was a unit exchange. If you screwed up you ate the 6K for the new tranny.
Not nice but it is what it is. If my engine goes south, I kinda want the warranty to fall back on. There aren't many of these 6.1 in the bone yard.

With the trans, I can understand that, using red line, they have a friction modifier that you could have used and it would have fixed your issue.
Kar wrote:

That was discussed at length, to no avail. GM builds and sells ya a friggin' race car then hand cuffs ya.
At least the SRT engineers respond to problems and help to resolve them.
Kar wrote:

I was wrong, the truck race is Sat .

I am more looking forward to Sunday, as (IIRC) they are running the POSCOT.
Kar wrote:

I didn't know that. i thought they were keeping them off the super speedway's.
This new isp down here is real slow with the news server.

Use the 0w40 and quit thinking about it. That's not an ordinary run-of-the-mill motor you have. I've always ran synthetic in non-stock motors that I've play with.
Denny

That's what I'm useing. Actually it is a pretty freaky car and engine. Especially for a 4 door.<G> They put a lot of thought into it.
Roy

but not a spare
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 00:40:57 +0000, samstone wrote:

tires don't go flat anymore
Chris
05 CTD

Using the wrong viscosity oil screws up the operation of the MDS system. You /do/ have the MDS Hemi, don't you?
--
Ken

No. What is used in the Charger SRT is a 6.1 425HP engine. They made a lot of changes to it other than the size. Seems a lot of different material as well. As a follow up, the problems with the anti freeze break down at this stage has found to be the temp and reaction to these materials, as the same anti freeze is used in the Cummins with no problems. The STR engineers are now recomending a flush and a additional additive to prevent the problem.
Roy
Roy wrote:

Oops. I thought you had a Magnum.
--