oil viscosity

Because it is like the last oil grade you want to use if it is conventional. Back in the 80's they thought is was the cats meow but they found out it is not and no new cars from Detriot are approved for its usage and have nor been for years. It has to do with the hi VI content of oil the can cook out and gum up a modern hot running engine. (grant that some 10w40 are better than other quality wise but it is best avoided) Use 10w30 spring, summer, fall and maybe 5w20 in winter if it get below zero a lot.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Have to miss the truck race for two reasons, I am going to look at a house near work and there is a hockey game on.

Reply to
azwiley1

I was wrong, the truck race is Sat .

Reply to
Roy

I am more looking forward to Sunday, as (IIRC) they are running the POSCOT.

Reply to
azwiley1

I didn't know that. i thought they were keeping them off the super speedway's.

This new isp down here is real slow with the news server.

Reply to
Roy

Who cares?

Reply to
Beryl

Use the 0w40 and quit thinking about it. That's not an ordinary run-of-the-mill motor you have. I've always ran synthetic in non-stock motors that I've play with.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

i do barrell. i care a lot more about that than i do about the inane crap that you post. in fact barrell, about the only thing that you post about is snotroll and how smart he is. well, actually now that i think about it, you don't post about how smart he is. you just post that he is not any more stupid than anyone else.

you are still wrong though. he is much more stupid.

and barrell, you need to branch out more. post about things besides snotroll. he is pretty much a lost cause. not because i (dumb guy) don't think he knows shit and not because pumkin (sorry roy) thinks so, but just because he is. he has earned it. he has simply out stupid'd everyone. if that impresses you..........well, i am not surprised. just wondering though.........are you his son or daughter? i'm just wondering because you defend him even when it is beyond ridiculous. if you are not, why do you feel that you have to come to his defense? do you not think that he is capable of defending himself? isn't that a much worse comment than anything that pumpkin (sorry roy), i (the dumb guy) or larry (can't remember what you called him, sorry barrell) have said? i mean, why would you be so premsumptive to think that you have to chase windmills and come to his aid? the only reason that i can think of is that you don't think that he is able to defend himself and you are so emotional over that that you feel that you must rush to save his honor. wow. that is really a low blow barrel; to snotroll i mean. you have slammed him more than any of us could ever do. i would say thank you but you probably owe him an apology.

Reply to
theguy

That's what I'm useing. Actually it is a pretty freaky car and engine. Especially for a 4 door. They put a lot of thought into it.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

but not a spare

Reply to
samstone

tires don't go flat anymore

Reply to
Chris Thompson

My 2000 Dakota owner's manual says for the 2.5, 3.9, and 5.9, 10W30 is preferred and acceptable at all temperatures above 0 F. It says 5W30 should be used if it is expected temperatures will be below 0F but not over 100 F.

They list 5W30 as preferred for the 4.7, and acceptable at all temperatures under 100 F.

Reply to
edward ohare

Because it says in the manual NOT to use it. It says to use 5W30 or 10W30 depending on temperature range and specifically says not to use 10W40. At least in my manual it says that. That's why I advised him to read the his manual when he gets it.

Try

burgers and you'll forget about belly bombers.They opened a new one in Tucson Thursday. The line was over three hourslong. Some guy was in the line about 20 minutes, he drove to Phoenix andbought some, drove back and the guy that was behind him was still waiting inline. Some people ran out of gas waiting:) They did the same thing when theCrispy Cream opened in the same building a few years ago. They went bust andsold the building to In an Out. Al

Reply to
Big Al

My 2001 Ram Owner's Manual covers the 3.9L V-6, the 5.2L and 5.9L V-8s, and the 8.0L V-10.

Page 195 says "SAE 10W-30 engine oil is preferred for use in all Dodge trucks."

There's a chart showing 10W-30 for temperatures of 0 degrees F. to beyond 100 degrees F.

5W-30 is for 32 degrees F. and below. The two viscosities overlap between 0 and 32.

Ignore azwiley1's bad and harmful advice about using 10W-40.

I use conventional 10W-30 in my 5.2, either Castrol or Valvoline. Eastern U.S. paraffin-base oils (e.g. Pennzoil and Quaker State) reportedly gum up engines according to folks that refer to them as "varnish", like in "I wouldn't put that varnish in my engine."

Synthetic oil was developed for hellishly hot turbine engines, like in your Beechcraft King Air. It's "better" oil, but likely a waste of money in your piston engine.

Reply to
Beryl

OK-I have to spill my guts. I put 3.9. It's 5.9. I saw a first on usenet in another reply where someone admitted making a mistake. After reading my own sorry excuse for a post, I'm admitting one too. You folks have a very interesting group going here and I like it. Lots of good info just on this post so please keep passing the knowledge. I don't know what's going on with the burger joints but I will find out. Also, good info about the oil. Thanks again.

Reply to
Kar

Using the wrong viscosity oil screws up the operation of the MDS system. You /do/ have the MDS Hemi, don't you?

Reply to
Nosey

No. What is used in the Charger SRT is a 6.1 425HP engine. They made a lot of changes to it other than the size. Seems a lot of different material as well. As a follow up, the problems with the anti freeze break down at this stage has found to be the temp and reaction to these materials, as the same anti freeze is used in the Cummins with no problems. The STR engineers are now recomending a flush and a additional additive to prevent the problem.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Oops. I thought you had a Magnum.

Reply to
Nosey

you don't want to find out about white castle...a overstuffed rabbit (I'm being kind mind you Denny) will want to take you there. and you don't want to try to digest, much less ingest that stuff. trust me.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Nope.... SIG.

Oh.... wait....