Older Dodge Truck

I have recently acquired a 1974 Dodge K8W100 Club Cab pickup. Its got the big 400 engine in it. four wheel drive, with the old style lock-in hubs. It
sat for about 3 years without being started. I went to go start it the other day, and it wouldnt start. I know its getting spark and i know its getting gas, i just dont know if its getting them both as needed. It actually backfired a couple of times the other day, especially after we poured gas directly in to the carburetor trying to prime it. Does anyone have any ideas as to what i can start checking. I mean, I talked to a couple of people that said it could be as simple as changing out the timing chain, but im not sure.