ON Topic: clunking steering

Now that it's getting RFH here[1], my steering has taken to clunking a bit as I turn. I can feel it, and hear it. Seems to be worse when it's hotter. Is my steering loose, or something more ominous? Is this something a layperson can fix themselves?

jmc

[1] Really...Hot. 102F/38c and not even to the high, yet. AUgh!
Reply to
jmc

How many clunks? If it's just one clunk per direction, and you have a 4x4, I'd suspect the track bar joint first.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Suddenly, without warning, Tom Lawrence exclaimed (11-Nov-06 1:47 PM):

4x4, but multiple clunks.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Sounds like you may need one or each of these:

Carolina Watercraft Works

I had a similar problem with my 2002 Ram 4x4. Mine sounded like a spring twisting out of kilter. It only happened when was hot outside. And only when turning left.

Unfortunately, I never was able to figure out the problem before I sold it.

Yep ... this past Texas summer wasn't too bad ... but still quite hot. I think 104F was our high. However, we have had some doosies over the past decade. But global warming is just a "Hoax", you know. :-)

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

Okay - then we look to either the steering box itself, or the intermediate shaft. Grab hold of the intermediate shaft, and see if you can feel any play in it.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Not in Australia. Parts of this really, really parched country have reservoirs that are down to 18% capacity. That's really, really scary. I don't know if it's making the news in the States, but it's a real crisis here, probably worse than the Dust Bowl era in the US. Last decent rain was in 2000. I'm told they went 14 MONTHS in central Australia last year without a drop of rain.

It's so bad that programs like A Current Affair - a program that exposes wrongdoers like welfare cheats and the like - had a thing about a water cheat - someone using his hosepipe on a restriction day.

Oh, and it's 102 here *in the spring* - equivalent to May.

I'm just happy that today we've got a little bit of cloud today. It's

10am here and already in the 90s.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Tom Lawrence exclaimed (12-Nov-06 7:15 AM):

Ok, off to my Haynes book then, to find out where my intermediate shaft is. Hopefully it's accessible without tools.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

The intermediate shaft is the part that connects the steering column to the steering box and is usually out in the open and easy to get to although not always so easy to work on.

Reply to
TBone

funny i thought we had been in a state of global warming since the last ice age.

its all in your perspective you know *grin*

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Suddenly, without warning, Chris Thompson exclaimed (12-Nov-06 11:38 AM):

Could be. I think at this point there's no doubt that a warming trend is on. I've seen, firsthand, too much evidence worldwide to doubt that. Warming and cooling trends are part of Earth's cycles.

My personal thinking is that industry is probably helping it along, making it faster and possibly worse, but even if we weren't here at all, it'd still be getting warmer.

Is this the start of yet another OT conversation? :)

jmc

Reply to
jmc

of course it is.....doesn't every conversation end OT?

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Hey, how dare we have an ON TOPIC discussion in this group!! (sorry couldn't resist)

Reply to
azwiley1

Also, we only have such a short period of documenting temps.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Hundreds of thousands of years? Read:

Nosey

I mean "relatively" speaking. Sort of like waking up from a 40 year coma and it was winter when you went under...wake up in summer and say crap...global warming...gotta be. Of course it is getting warmer. I think one day the surface may burn to a crisp and kill everyone on it...then it'll start all over again. Maybe...who knows. But that's next week and I'm still trying to get through this week.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works