one for snownan

Page 1 of 4
http://tinyurl.com/379fuh
That should keep him occupied for a few days, weeks, or months.
beekeep

questions. I got a 90
Denny

I got a 94... I wish I knew which ones were wrong.
Mike

You can review the answers, and it shows you which were incorrect. I missed one, but I've got an argument. It was the one that asked which would take the least force, lifting the weight with no pulleys, with one pulley at a 90 angle, or with two pulleys, one at a 90 pull, the other with the rope hitting it on a tangent. I answered the one with no pulleys, because of the added drag the pulleys would introduce. TECHNICALLY, I'm right - but they wanted the answer "they're all the same".
Hmph....
Tom Lawrence wrote:

Then you missed question 31 too. There's no correct answer.
WTF are you talking about?

Frank Will wrote:

I sent the site a note about the error. They changed the question. Used to be two boxes, now two triangles, and standing on their pointy ends so it's clear where the force is applied to the horizontal beam.
The correct answer previously, with the boxes, was 60kg. That answer wasn't among the choices.
Beryl wrote:

Question 31
Square boxes, 2 units in width. Box A occupies first boxwidth space left of fulcrum. Box B occupies third boxwidth space right of fulcrum. __ __ | | | | |A | |B | [][][][][][][][][][][][] /\ /__\
If box A weighs 300 kg, how much does box B weigh?
[] 50 kg [] 100 kg [] 150 kg [] 300 kg _____________________________________________________________
Beryl wrote:

Wouldn't it be 100 kg? If box A has 1/3 the leverage that box B has and they balance, box B weighs 1/3 the amount of box A. 1/3 of 300 kg is 100 kg. How did you get 60 kg?
--
Ken

Nosey wrote:

__ __ | | | | |A | |B | [][][][][][][][][][][][] /\ /__\
The boxes are 2 X 2 squares, but we don't see the depth of the boxes. They could be flat as old 33 1/3 LP record albums, so imagine that they are. Now turn them 90* and look at them edgewise.
Sorry, the vertical edges appear just a bit offset between the [][] in my pic, but you can see that A has 1/5 the leverage of B.
The width of the boxes fools you, but it's their CG that matters. That's why the original question was so good, and the one with triangles isn't.
OK, when I checked out the test it had the triangles, so I don't know what it looked like before. Looking at what you drew using standard keyboard symbols, it seems to me that box B is 3 times the distance from the fulcrum compared to box A. Wouldn't that make box B 1/3 the weight (100kg)? That's assuming that the beam has no mass.
I'm new to news groups, but know a little about fixed width versus preportional width fonts, so I cut and pasted your picture into a fixed width font program and it looked the same to me. I apologize if I'm not getting the picture. As I see it, the left side of box A aligns with the 4th "[". In other words there seem to be 3 "[]" units to the left of box A. At any rate, as I see your picture, it's the same as the test with the triangles.
I must admit, it was a fun test. If it hadn't been a multiple choice test, I might have missed the mutliple pulley question. Fortunately, while trying to reconcile my answer to one of the choices, I found the "view larger image" option and it made sense (I don't want to give away the answer to anyone else who may try the test).

I stand corrected. I accidentally left notepad open and saw Beryl's picture! If that is a correct representation of the original diagram, then 300kg/5 lengths`kg.s

Frank Will wrote:

It would, if B was 3 times the distance. But it's 5 times.

The beam is centered on the fulcrum.

Each [] of the beam is one unit. Box A covers two [], there are four more [] to the left of A. Box B also covers two [], and there are four [] to the left of B.

They made the triangles fit the old answer, rather than change the answer to fit the old boxes. Too bad.

Why is it too bad they changed the question, instead of changing the answer?

Frank Will wrote:

It's an easy one now, nothing special about it.
What do you think about question 44, with the water rising higher in tube A or B? I think that tube B will suck air.

IIRC, the answer they wanted was something like "water in A would rise higher than B" which would be correct even if B was sucking air. I also think B would suck air as that is how an in-line foam eductor is designed (not to suck air, but foam concentrate).
FMB (North Mexico)
FMB wrote:

If water is pumped rapidly through the pipe as shown, it will rise
[] Higher in tube A than in tube B [] Higher in tube B than in tube A [] In tube A only [] In tube B only
I answered "In tube A only" and got it wrong. It's like the vacuum apparatus we used in chemistry lab. Always bothered me to watch that water go right down the drain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspirator
I assumed both tubes vented to air. If water is "rapidly pumped" through the main tube, it's pressure will be high as compared to the air, which means that it will look for any exit point The venturi will lower the pressure thus, higher in A than in B seemed like the correct answer
An interesting experiment would be to fill the system with mercury, make sure that tubes A and B were over 33 inches long, cap tubes A and B, and ensure that the main tube had a reservoir at least 33 inches high. The level of the mercury in tubes A and B and the main reservoir open to the atmosphere should be the same. Then turn on the pump and measure the height of the mercury in tubes A, B and the main reservoir. I guess that the level in tube A would drop, the level in B would drop more that in A, and the main reservoir would rise.

How about leaving tubes A and B open to the atmosphere? Would there be a difference in the heights of the mercury in the tubes?

Frank Will wrote:

You draw this one.

Looks like they do, nothing says they don't.

Why?
It's a carburetor. B sucks gas unless the float bowl's empty. Then it sucks air.