orphaned mercedes technology in Chrysler/Dodge?

Page 1 of 2
If DCX spins off Chrysler, will all the Mercedes technology become orphaned?
More specifically, if I buy a Sprinter, which is really a Mercedes, and then
Chrysler is sold off, will Dodge be able to maintain those Sprinters already sold?
Will Chrysler have the Mercedes products pulled from the lineup - meaning all the mercedes diesels?
.

Car manufacturers are legally responsible to supply you with parts for 10 years after the car is made. So you should still be able to find pasrts for the sprinter for at least ten years. the reality of it is, Dodge isn't just going to stop stocking those parts in 10 years. There is a market for them, so they will sell them, even if they do have to buy them from mercedes, mark them up, and sell them. I wonder if freightliner will still be selling the sprinters. I'm sure that Freightliner dealers will still service and sell parts for them too.
Bill

Do you have a cite for that, other than emissions-related parts?
Your wrong on that count. Manufactures are not legally required to stock parts for ten years. They are legally required to repair defects pertaining to warranty problems for the life of the warranty claimed by the manufacturer. And the manufacturer can obtain parts from any means, including USED to repair those defects. I worked for DaimlerChrysler for 13 years and there is no LAW stating your bullshit!
-
I worked for DaimlerChrysler for 13

Before you get all huffy puffy and start cursing for no reason, calm down. I admit that I could be mistaken, but I am not intentionally feeding anyone BS. I was looking into buying an Oldsmobile years ago when it was known that they were dissapearing, and the dealer told me that GM was required to maintain parts for the cars for 10 years by law, and could not just abandon their customers. Unless the law has changed, or this guy was feeding me BS, I seriously think that there is some basis to what I said.
And before you start attacking people. Think about what your credentials say. So what, you worked for DaimlerChrysler. A company that at the time had never shut down production. Does that mean that you know the law for this scenario? Are you a lwayer for them? In charge of distribution of spare parts? I'm an engineer with lots of experience in cars and submarines. That doesn't mean that I can tell you how everything on a car or submarine works, or the laws regarding them. And I don't claim to, or tell people that they are full of bull for saying anythign about them. So tone it down.

If you're really an engineer, the first thing you'd have asked yourself is "why would I believe this without any evidence?" Are you really going repeat and then defend something told to you by a car salesman? No further inquiry?
You put those higher thinking skills to work on this and think about it.

He was either mistaken himself, or was feeding you a line. There is no such law (it is, obviously, impossible to cite a non-law -- which is why, in my original response, I asked you if you had a cite). A company is required to support their warranty, and there is a required warranty on emissions equipment. Beyond that, they've got no obligation to ever sell parts. And they sell them for exactly as long as they think they're making money by doing it.

I'm not a lawyer, and don't work for any car companies. My claim is based on many people making the same statement I did over the years, a general belief that the auto industry really ought to work the same as all the others in the world, and nobody ever coming up with a cite showing me where the "must sell parts for X years" law exists.
I just realized that I did say supply. That was not as specific as I probably needed to be. I didn't mean that they need to stock them for your use, but they have to have made enough to last for that long. They could all sit in a warehouse and take three weeks to get ahold of, and they woudl still be fine. At least that is what I had been told. So take this with a grain of salt.
On 18 Mar 2007 18:32:49 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

GM promised continued parts and service for Oldsmobiles. I don't recall the time period.
I recently was involved in repair of a car that was less than ten years old and needed driver and passenger seatbelts. The manufacturer could only furnish the driver's seat belt in one color, the passenger's seat belt in another, and neither color matched the car interior.

But they still supplied both seat belts.

And now they don't have any. I didn't make that clear in the first post.

Also (to follow up my earlier claim that there is no law requiring a company to sell parts for some lenght of time), that a company making a pledge to do so would be a completely different matter.
Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

And with Oldsmobile and GM they could probably use Buick parts as the two brands are almost identical. In fact the Olds V6 is a Buick V6. At least in 97 it was. My folks have one.
Bob

Oldsmobile had degnerated to the point that, other than trim and body panels, it was an entirely "corporate" car just like Pontiac is right now. The last Olds cars used the Buick v6 or the small Northstar v8. Chevy, Buick, and Cadillac are the only GM brands with any engineering identity left. Buick's is pretty much limited to the 3800 v6 engine (which is still so much better than the Chevrolet v6 engines that it has a home in all the car lines), and Cadillac's is the Northstar engine family.
Not that this is an altogether bad thing. Ford and Chrysler went to corporate-engineered drivetrains in the 50s, and that worked out much better than GM selling 3 different unrelated 350 v8s, thre unrelated 455 v8s, plus a 454, 500, and 472 all through the 70s. That was nonsensical.

So true. Oldsmobile parts were used in several other GM brands.
With a Merc there should not be this problem.
But with Chrysler, if it's sold...?...
DAS
As long as there is a significant demand for parts they will be available new. After that there are recycled parts from the wrecking yard.

On 13 Mar 2007 13:56:21 -0700, "greek_philosophizer"

Uh.... they sold some?
edward ohare wrote:

I saw one on the road two days ago. This was the only one I ever recall seeing.

Still friggin' cross posting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!