OT- Aussie Gun control

I won't try claim to be able to verify the facts of this, but it does closely parallel the Chicago suburb gun ban results from many years ago.
Politicians are incapable of learning from the mistakes of others.
Budd ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Here's a thought to warm some of your hearts...
From: Ed Chenel, A police officer in Australia
Hi Yanks, I thought you all would like to see the real figures from Down Under. It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.
The first year results are now in:
Australia-wide, homicides are up 6.2 percent,
Australia-wide, assaults are up 9.6 percent;
Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!
In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent.
(Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not and criminals still possess their guns!)
While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed. There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly, while the resident is at home.
Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in "successfully ridding Australian society of guns." You won't see this on the American evening news or hear your governor or members of the State Assembly disseminating this information.
The Australian experience speaks for itself. Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens.
Take note Americans, before it's too late!
FORWARD TO EVERYONE ON YOUR EMAIL LIST. [I DID ] DON'T BE A MEMBER OF THE SILENT MAJORITY. BE ONE OF THE VOCAL MINORITY WHO WON'T LET THIS HAPPEN IN THE U.S.A

Before following the "forward tgo everyone" command read this:
http://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/ausguns.asp

Not surprising given the OP
Ya know, Roy, even when I state plainly that I'm not saying it's true or verified, you have to get on my case.
I just compared it to what did happen in Chicago during the ban in that one suburb, that's all.
Budd

But it is a bogus comparison so what exactly is your point?
"Budd Cochran" < snipped-for-privacy@preciscom.net> wrote in message

Really? I figured it was just more BS from you, thus not surprising to read that it was in fact BS.
I said I didn't verify it.
Sorry, forgot to remove the "forward" part.
But it still parallels the Surburb's situation closely.
Budd

John Kunkel wrote:

snopes: "Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent" Budd: "Australia-wide, homicides are up 6.2 percent"
snopes: "Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent" Budd: "Australia-wide, assaults are up 9.6 percent"
Suddenly, without warning, Thystle exclaimed (19-Jan-07 3:46 PM):

And this bit, which is arguably more important:
"The main point to be learned here is that determining the effect of changes in Australia's gun ownership laws and the government's firearm buy-back program on crime rates requires a complex long-term analysis and can't be discerned from the small, mixed grab bag of short-term statistics offered here. And no matter what the outcome of that analysis, the results aren't necessarily applicable to the USA, where laws regarding gun ownership are (and always have been) much different than those in Australia."
jmc
Suddenly, without warning, Budd Cochran exclaimed (19-Jan-07 2:11 AM):

First, let me say that I do not support gun control. Assuming these numbers are true though, there are other reasons for the increase of crime, at least in the town I'm in, which has NOTHING to do with gun control. I don't want to get into them though, because there is no doubt it'll devolve in a flamewar, one we've already had.
How do I know guns had nothing to do with it? Because I've been here on and off since 1989, and I've never heard of a crime in this town that was *stopped* by a gun. Or perpetrated with one.
Knives have traditionally been the weapon of choice for criminals here, so the gun laws haven't affected crime levels. I suspect this is true for most places in Australia outside of the big cities.
As we found out in our complex, the major proponents of crime in this town are easily scared off with a big dog and a cricket bat. No need to shoot them..
jmc

Oh? If you thought a criminal had a gun, would you attempt to stop them from stealing something or commiting some crime?
Now put that in the other perspective. If you wanted to break into someone's home at night and were unsure they had a weapon or not, what would the choice be?
After congress did a weapons bann some years ago in DC, crime has sky rocketed and become the murder captiol of the US.

Yeah but DC's coke problem is going down a gram at a time thanks to the mayor!
Suddenly, without warning, GeekBoy exclaimed (19-Jan-07 7:02 AM):

Oh, don't get me wrong (read my first sentence), I do believe that gun control can raise crime rates. It's just that as far as I can see (having lived here on and off since 1989) Aussies never went in for guns in a big way, so gun control doesn't have the effect that it has in the US. At least not here in the Outback. Maybe in the cities, but never lived on the coast. That's practically a different country, even to other Australians :)
Just so we're clear on this, we own guns (tho not here). Hubby's an NRA member. We like our guns, and believe wholeheartedly in the Second Amendment, increasingly so in today's political environment.
I was living near DC when it became the Murder Capitol. Fortunately, not too near :)
jmc
Occur to anyone that the REAL goal of gun control might not be about reducing crime?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

resist. Unfortunately the American sheeple wouldnt resist but they dont want to take that chance. Libs need victims to feed their coffers and eliminating lawful gun owners increases vicitm counts therefore increasing their span of control.
Suddenly, without warning, RM v2.0 exclaimed (20-Jan-07 1:31 AM):

Oh, I think Americans will resist if it gets bad enough. It'd take a lot for the average American to get pissed or scared enough to actually take up arms against their own government. As we should - starting a civil war isn't something to be taken lightly!
Not to mention that if we started moving to that point, countries like China and North Korea would be rubbing their hands in glee.
I sincerely hope that it never gets to that point! However, we will keep our guns, thankyouverymuch.
jmc

I know that I will not give up my handguns, rifles, carbines, or shotguns. No matter what laws are passed or what statistics are presented.
Ken
I recommend this short movie mocking Kim Jong Il and his secret agent buying Hennessy XO wine from Chinese black market :=)

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p
52D9ED01495685