OT: Carbon on pistons

Some may remember a few weeks ago a '98 Isuzu Amigo with ruptured coolant hose and temperature gage in the red line for an unknown time. Well, I finally pulled the cylinder head - block and head are well within warpage limits, but when I pulled the head I saw a lot of carbon on the pistons that is mostly soft - my finger nail easily removed a test swath.

Comments requested on cleaning the pistons in the block: Do you think it's OK to rotate the pistons to TDC and use a soft bristle brush to clean the carbon and vacuum out any debris.

Also, some cylinder head gasket material fell into the head mounting bolt holes along with some engine oil. I was thinking of using a turkey baster to remove the material and/or putting some kind of oil filter(s) on my shop vac to remove the debris before running a tap to ensure the threads are clean. Any ideas?

I'm sure the regulars will respond with sound advice and thank you in advance, but don't want to name names lest I forget a significant contributor.

Reply to
Ed

Yup. Use a vacuum to remove loose carbon from the area between piston and cylinder wall.

Um, yeah, yours..... go with it, its a decent idea. Not sure how the turkey baster will work, but a vacuum and a small pick will get all debris out that are worth the time.

Do not use a tap to clear the threads. This can open the threads too much. There are thread clearing tools out there, Snap On has some. Or use a head bolt and run it in an back it out. If it spins in fairly easily, no tight spots, you have no problems.

Reply to
Max Dodge

I use a large wet or dry vacuum cleaner to get the coolant and oil out of everything.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Get a can of air duster and blow the crap out the bolt holes. Vacuum out as much of the crap as you can

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

if you have an air compressor and a blower you can hold a rag around the top of the bolt hole and blow the oil/trash out of the hole. becareful though as if you stand in the wrong spot you will get a little dirty *grin*

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I should have little trouble putting it back together (though I often say that and end up cursing anyway).

Reply to
Ed