OT: Digital multimeters

Hey gang, I need to get a new DMM cause mine took a shit on me today. I don't want to break the bank price wise, but need something that will hold up to everyday use. It needs to be something more suitable for auto work, dc, resistance, pulse, etc.

Reply to
azwiley1

Digi-Key

and Mouser
arealternatives to Radio Shack. They each offer many choices. For automotive use, you may want one that can measure more than a few amperes of current that some are limited to. You won't need high precision -- 5% of full scale is plenty good. Some form of protection from being dropped and banged around is a good feature. Beyond that, the more features and better specifications are likely superfluous (but will impress your friends and neighbors).

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

ive used a radio shack DVOM for years. no real complaints and not terribly expensive.

that was my choice.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

UEi

I have several, and only two Fluke meters now...one Fluke basic clamp on and a CO detector...rest is UEi.

Reply to
CAVHBC

Harbor Freight has them from $3.99 up.

simple car stuff you can't beat the price, and you won't cry if you killit..

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I've used a Craftsman Professional for the last three years and the only problem I have is when some dumbass puts it on the mille-amp instead of the amp scale and it blows a fuse. Not bad at all for under a hundred bucks. Besides, it's fun to play with the infrared thermometer it has.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Sears/Craftsman has a pretty good looking line of DMM's but I know nothing of the quality or durability.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

yep.. I have 3 of them, 1 in the garage and one in each truck.. I use the "deluxe" one that goes on sale for $5.99.. *lol

Mac

mac davis

Right now the one I have that crapped out on my (again) is a Craftsman. Right now, I am at the point that I am tired of problems with it, having to take it back and get a bigger headache from the retards that work at our Sears over exchanging it.

Reply to
azwiley1

Bite the bullet and buy a Fluke then. I have had my 88 for almost 20 years and it's still going strong.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Yup, the electricians at work use Fluke's and they stand up to the abuse real well.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I guess if it sets in the box cause ya don't know how to use it, it'll last forever....

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Ohhhhhhh..... I see..... now that it's spring, the heated leather seat harrassment will stop and now you've gotta find something else to pick on......

;^)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Fluke is a good meter. I have a model 23 that is 16 years old. I used it every day for many years, now it is a back up meter as I wanted one with more functions. I have tried other brands and I keep going back to Fluke. I had a couple different UEI meters but they don't hold up for me. The only problem I ever have with Fluke meters is when I drop test them from 20 feet up onto concrete! Damn I hate it when that happens! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I've been using the same Fluke at work for 15 years, and never had a problem. (I wore out one set of leads, and had to replace them.) Very durable meter. You can pick one of their less expensive models and probably never have to buy another one. Then again, you can buy a box load of cheap meters for the same price, but will they work when you really need them? HD

Reply to
HoDad

Damned straight!! You been reading all that rabbit shit I been catching??? Your turn for a while...

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Well, I guess I will have to find a local dealer that carries Flukes and pick up one from the 73/77 series as they have the functionality I need.

Reply to
azwiley1

I've used Fluke meters at work and they are good. If you want one with more of the automotive capabilities you may be interested in the Sunpro CP7680. I've had one for about 15 years and it's still going strong. I got it at Sears and I think it cost about $100 back then. Here is a scan of the box listing the capabilities:

Nosey

Reply to
azwiley1

the fluke didnt pass the drop test? i would have made them warr it! *grin* that IS a industry standard test right....i mean shoot! who doesnt use that one?

Reply to
Christopher Thompson