OT: Digital multimeters

Page 1 of 2
Hey gang, I need to get a new DMM cause mine took a shit on me today. I don't want to break the bank price wise, but need something that will hold
up to everyday use. It needs to be something more suitable for auto work, dc, resistance, pulse, etc.
azwiley1 wrote:

Digi-Key (http://www.digikey.com /) and Mouser (http://www.mouser.com /) are alternatives to Radio Shack. They each offer many choices.
For automotive use, you may want one that can measure more than a few amperes of current that some are limited to. You won't need high precision -- 5% of full scale is plenty good. Some form of protection from being dropped and banged around is a good feature. Beyond that, the more features and better specifications are likely superfluous (but will impress your friends and neighbors).
Bryan
ive used a radio shack DVOM for years. no real complaints and not terribly expensive.
that was my choice.
--
-Chris
05 CTD

UEi
http://www.ueitest.com /
I have several, and only two Fluke meters now...one Fluke basic clamp on and a CO detector...rest is UEi.

Harbor Freight has them from $3.99 up. http://www.harborfreight.com For simple car stuff you can't beat the price, and you won't cry if you kill it..
Al

yep.. I have 3 of them, 1 in the garage and one in each truck.. I use the "deluxe" one that goes on sale for $5.99.. *lol
Mac

I've used a Craftsman Professional for the last three years and the only problem I have is when some dumbass puts it on the mille-amp instead of the amp scale and it blows a fuse. Not bad at all for under a hundred bucks. Besides, it's fun to play with the infrared thermometer it has.
Denny

Sears/Craftsman has a pretty good looking line of DMM's but I know nothing of the quality or durability.
Hope this helps!
Mike
Right now the one I have that crapped out on my (again) is a Craftsman. Right now, I am at the point that I am tired of problems with it, having to take it back and get a bigger headache from the retards that work at our Sears over exchanging it.

Bite the bullet and buy a Fluke then. I have had my 88 for almost 20 years and it's still going strong.
Mike

Yup, the electricians at work use Fluke's and they stand up to the abuse real well.
Roy

will
I have owned a Fluke 77 since dirt was new (and before they started putting fuses in them). Putting it across a battery when set up to measure current on the 10A scale (due to brain fade) resulted in melted probe wires. Still, the DMM survived! Bryan

I forgot to switch from amps to volts one time with my 23, then put the leads across a 50 amp, 240 volt circuit! The leads did not melt, they vaporized in a BANG! Replaced the fuse in the meter and it still works! Greg

I guess if it sets in the box cause ya don't know how to use it, it'll last forever.... <VBG>
Denny

Ohhhhhhh..... I see..... now that it's spring, the heated leather seat harrassment will stop and now you've gotta find something else to pick on......
;^)
Mike

Damned straight!! You been reading all that rabbit shit I been catching??? Your turn for a while... <VBG>
Denny

You've been catching rabbit shit??
Having had a rabbit when I was a kid and having to clean the cage, I never did eat raisins..
Mac

You don't deserve it???????????????? <BFG>
Roy

So... how many amps DO those butt warmers draw, Mike? *g*
Mac

You too Mac? Aw, geez......
Mike