OT: General questions re: Cylinder head gasket (I hope)

This news group has some great specific information regarding Dodge trucks that I have used well and contributed to when I could and I hope will translate well enough for my 1998 Isuzu Amigo 2.2L (it's a GM engine).
Problem: I didn't notice the coolant temperature guage until it was into the red line, stopped, found a ruptured radiator hose, replaced the hose, filled with water and noticed a white vapor and gasoline smell from the radiator when the engine was cool and running. Oil dip stick doesn't show signs of water. Engine starts easily when cold and warms up faster than normal (I haven't started it when "warm")
Question: In General, besides cylinder compression tests, what should I look for to determine if I've wrecked the engine or if I _only_ need to replace the cylnder head gasket?
You could have the cooling system pressure tested as well and checked for leakdown. It is possible that you may have warped the head.
"Ed" < snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net> wrote in message
A warped head or cracked block is what I'm most afraid of. I'll pressure test the cooling system too. Thanks.

note: a pressure test or cyl leak down test will only tell you where the leak is. if its in a cyl then you will still have to tear into the engine to tell if its just the gasket or something more.
--
-Chris
05 CTD

are you going to the "discount" houses? or to a real parts house? the head set for a GM 2.2L shouldnt be that hard to find, no matter what its mounted in.
--
-Chris
05 CTD