OT...gunstock refinishing

For all you woodworkers in here... I got a walnut stock on a mil-surp that I hopefully going to make look a bit better. It has a few dents but it doesn't look like it's been ran over by a tank. I got the finish removed using a paint/varnish remover and tomorrow night I'm going to try the ole wet towel/hot iron trick to raise some of the dents. Then a bit of sanding and rub in a few coats of a satin finish tung oil. Anybody got any idea if this process sounds good or any other suggestions?

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Sounds good to me. Tung oil will give protection and preserve the wood.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

A bit if iodine in the tung oil will yield a bit darker tone, if you'd want that, but your plan is solid.

Reply to
Diamond Dave

ive never tried the wet towel/hot iron trick. so let me know how that turns out. but the rest sounds solid. if it works well enough for you i may try to make the mouser look a little better. (its been used to say the least, not to mention the flood of '94 didnt do much for it either)

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

You really only need to wet down the area where the dents are and give the water enough time to get in there before hitting it with the iron or you will just be wasting your time. Then when you are done, make sure to give the wood enough time to dry out or you might not like the finish. Don't get to crazy with the sand paper, you only really want to knock down the raised grain.

Reply to
TBone

Sounds good if you like tung oil.. I've never been a fan..

Depending on the size of the dings in the stock, sometimes a wet paper towel and a soldering iron work well..

If you want a little shine, I'd use your choice of brand/color of Danish Oil... absorbs well, hardens the wood from inside and goes on with a rag or brush..

If you want gloss or depth, buff it after 2 or 3 days with a soft wheel..

Be very careful, maybe wear latex gloves... Rabbit fur is a bitch to get out of a finish..

Mac

mac davis

Mac, you was doing good till that last line.... What don't you like with the tung oil???

Thanks everybody

Denny

Reply to
Denny

if i remember correctly, i did tung oil on a stock, a marlin lever, and i didn't care for how well it held up after a few days in the rain.

Reply to
Dave Lee

You wouldn't expect me to NOT put that in would/wood ya?? *g*

Tung oil (in it's pure form) is only an oil.. all it's going to do is moisturize the wood..

The stuff like "formby's" or whatever is tung oil, poly and a few other goodies to make it look nice..

Danish oil is pretty much oil, mineral spirits and usually a little varnish or shellac so you get the penetration of oil with a finish to protect it..

If the tung oil is pure, it won't be durable.. if it's got poly mixed with it, the wood won't "breath" and could warp or crack in different moisture conditions..

I guess that's why they had Matell make the 16 out of plastic.. *g*

Mac

mac davis

Damn Denny I thought he was right on the money. Have you had any rounds through it yet? Or is it going to be a safe queen?

Roy

Reply to
Roy

No rounds yet. It started raining yesterday afternoon so I started cleaning cosmoline last night. The metal looks damned good and the stock had a bunch of little dents so I going to try making it look better. No safe queen for this one. It won't be shot as much as the other one due to ammo price but it'll have it's turn looking at the dirt pile. I may even put a bracket in the tractor cab so one of them can be a 'hog gun. I finally got around to calling Colt about which chamber I have. The cust rep didn't hesitate a second when saying that rifle could handle nato or commercial ammo. Even wanted to know if I wanted a free owner manual for it. She made a helluva first impression.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Thanks for the tip on the Danish oil. So far I've got three stocks done and they are all looking the way I wanted. And the fur really isn't that bad, comes right out with 0000 steel wool........

Denny

Reply to
Denny

I suppose you did the black one too.

This rain will never end, area north of here has recieved 10+ inches in a the past 2 days. We are at about 4+ . Supposed to continue until tuesday.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Oh, the blonde joke was pretty good.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I tried but it didn't turn out very well........sticky as hell

Just think of the toys if this woulda been snow a few months ago......

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Cool.. Glad that it's working out...

I've tried almost everything and keep going back to the Danish Oil... Buffs really nice, too and it's "renewable".. maybe once a year or 2 just rub on a light coat..

Mac

mac davis

I would have recommended Armorall and olive drab duct tape for that one...

Mac

mac davis

It get's better, some areas north are up to 14+" and more comeng tonight. The damage is unbelievable nobody has flood insurance.

Roy

Reply to
Roy