OT...gunstock refinishing

For all you woodworkers in here...<BG> I got a walnut stock on a mil-surp that I hopefully going to make look a bit better. It has a few dents but it
doesn't look like it's been ran over by a tank. I got the finish removed using a paint/varnish remover and tomorrow night I'm going to try the ole wet towel/hot iron trick to raise some of the dents. Then a bit of sanding and rub in a few coats of a satin finish tung oil. Anybody got any idea if this process sounds good or any other suggestions?
Denny
Sounds good to me. Tung oil will give protection and preserve the wood.
--
Budd

"Denny" < snipped-for-privacy@woh.rr.com> wrote in message

A bit if iodine in the tung oil will yield a bit darker tone, if you'd want that, but your plan is solid.
ive never tried the wet towel/hot iron trick. so let me know how that turns out. but the rest sounds solid. if it works well enough for you i may try to make the mouser look a little better. (its been used to say the least, not to mention the flood of '94 didnt do much for it either)
--
-Chris
05 CTD
"Denny" < snipped-for-privacy@woh.rr.com> wrote in message

Depending on the size of the dings in the stock, sometimes a wet paper towel and a soldering iron work well..
If you want a little shine, I'd use your choice of brand/color of Danish Oil... absorbs well, hardens the wood from inside and goes on with a rag or brush..
If you want gloss or depth, buff it after 2 or 3 days with a soft wheel..
Be very careful, maybe wear latex gloves... Rabbit fur is a bitch to get out of a finish..
Mac

with the tung oil???
Thanks everybody
Denny

didn't care for how well it held up after a few days in the rain.

Tung oil (in it's pure form) is only an oil.. all it's going to do is moisturize the wood..
The stuff like "formby's" or whatever is tung oil, poly and a few other goodies to make it look nice..
Danish oil is pretty much oil, mineral spirits and usually a little varnish or shellac so you get the penetration of oil with a finish to protect it..
If the tung oil is pure, it won't be durable.. if it's got poly mixed with it, the wood won't "breath" and could warp or crack in different moisture conditions..
I guess that's why they had Matell make the 16 out of plastic.. *g*
Mac

they are all looking the way I wanted. And the fur really isn't that bad, comes right out with 0000 steel wool........
Denny

I suppose you did the black one too.<G>
This rain will never end, area north of here has recieved 10+ inches in a the past 2 days. We are at about 4+ . Supposed to continue until tuesday.
Roy

Oh, the blonde joke was pretty good.
Roy

I tried but it didn't turn out very well........sticky as hell <G>

Just think of the toys if this woulda been snow a few months ago......
Denny

It get's better, some areas north are up to 14+" and more comeng tonight. The damage is unbelievable nobody has flood insurance.
Roy

I would have recommended Armorall and olive drab duct tape for that one...
Mac

Cool.. Glad that it's working out...
I've tried almost everything and keep going back to the Danish Oil... Buffs really nice, too and it's "renewable".. maybe once a year or 2 just rub on a light coat..
Mac

Damn Denny I thought he was right on the money.<G> Have you had any rounds through it yet? Or is it going to be a safe queen?
Roy

No rounds yet. It started raining yesterday afternoon so I started cleaning cosmoline last night. The metal looks damned good and the stock had a bunch of little dents so I going to try making it look better. No safe queen for this one. It won't be shot as much as the other one due to ammo price but it'll have it's turn looking at the dirt pile. I may even put a bracket in the tractor cab so one of them can be a 'hog gun. I finally got around to calling Colt about which chamber I have. The cust rep didn't hesitate a second when saying that rifle could handle nato or commercial ammo. Even wanted to know if I wanted a free owner manual for it. She made a helluva first impression.
Denny