OT Home A/C

Page 2 of 5

LOL
--
Chris

punkin:

Okay, dope. The Motor Oil discussion again...
"I just bought a 2001 Ram, 3.9L. No owners manual. What is the reccomended oil viscosity for this time of year?" - Kar
"If you want a good all season go with a 10/30 or 10/40" - punkin
"Don't use 10W40. Put 10W30 in it and read the manual when it comes." - Big Al
"Why are you saying not to use 10/40?" - punkin
"Because it says in the manual NOT to use it. It says to use 5W30 or 10W30 depending on temperature range and specifically says not to use 10W40. At least in my manual it says that. That's why I advised him to read the his manual when he gets it." - Big Al
"Because it is like the last oil grade you want to use if it is conventional. Back in the 80's they thought is was the cats meow but they found out it is not and no new cars from Detriot are approved for its usage and have nor been for years. It has to do with the hi VI content of oil the can cook out and gum up a modern hot running engine. (grant that some 10w40 are better than other quality wise but it is best avoided) Use 10w30 spring, summer, fall and maybe 5w20 in winter if it get below zero a lot." - SnoMan
"My 2001 Ram Owner's Manual covers the 3.9L V-6, the 5.2L and 5.9L V-8s, and the 8.0L V-10. Page 195 says "SAE 10W-30 engine oil is preferred for use in all Dodge trucks. There's a chart showing 10W-30 for temperatures of 0 degrees F. to beyond 100 degrees F. 5W-30 is for 32 degrees F. and below. The two viscosities overlap between 0 and 32." - Beryl
"Well, I can tell you that when I lived in Maryland with similar temps, I ran red line or royal purple syn oil, 15 (or 20) w-50 in the summer, and would drop to 10/40 for winters. Here in AZ, I run royal purple 20/50 all year in my truck and bike." - punkin
"You didn't even say which irrelevant vehicles you were talking about. All we know is that you're in Arizona now, with some unidentified truck and bike. You've given the OP no useful information, just uninformed advice." - Beryl
"Really, I have not give the user any valuable information? How do you figure? Better yet, what have you provided to anyone that was useful?" - punkin
"the grades in the OM are RECOMMENDED, that DOES NOT mean you have to use it" - punkin

Your advice to Kar was less-than-worthless, punkin.

A memorable one.

"Hell, tell me this, what size is the cabling in a set of jumper cables?" - punkin

Everyone agreed the OP's standard alternator wouldn't be a problem. You parrotted that, then recommended that he replace it anyway.
"I do not believe that you would have a problem with this, as long as the factory alt is not bad to begin with." - punkin
"So what's your advice? Do you recommend that he go ahead and replace his?" - Beryl
"Yes that is my recommendation" - punkin

"FYI white or blue light is brighter then yellow" - punkin

You missed Relays.
"Batteries went dead while truck was stored over the winter" - Fred
"Check for an open relay" - punkin

Oh yeah, tires too. You drive an empty 1/2 ton pickup and don't know crap about where the tire pressure should be, so you max it out.
"I-10, 75mph, left lane BOOOOOOOM! Left front blows the tread right the fuck off! No warning, no indication of a problem, checked the air pressure in all four this morning before head off to work."
"Let's see, the tire called for 65 psi cold. I inflated them to 64.5 on all four tires."
"65 psi cold tire pressure, sitting at 64.5 when I inflated them that morning. No load on the the truck, other then the truck it self."
"The information from the vehicle recommendation is null and void when you are not running OE size tires."

It is funny because you popped in and started spouting off terminology, like you knew what you were talking about, and got it wrong!
Then you try to pick on Wiley 'cuz he does not know what the terms mean??? He never said he did! Greg
Hell, while we are on the whole home AC thing again, has anyone had their crawl space/attic sprayed with that spray foam insulation? What were your results, costs ect.. I am thinking about having this done in my "attic" and on to the flex duct for the ac/heat unit.
Greg O wrote:

Much funnier that it's your job ("We install Ruud/Rheem units where I work") and you got it wrong.
"SEER relates to AC units, heat pumps go by the EER , not SEER." - Greg O.
Seasonal energy efficiency ratio (SEER): "... This is a measure of the cooling performance for rating central air conditioners and central heat pumps." - http://www.eia.doe.gov/glossary/glossary_s.htm

I put a K$N cold air intake on my unit and it generates electricity while it cools the house!
beekeep

YOu have it backwards Heat pumps do go by SEER or Seasonal Energy Eficency Rating (and it is seasonal because heat pump can heat and cool) and plain central A/C's go by EER. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

What ever! Google it and find out for yourself! Greg
Greg O wrote:

My heat pump clearly has a SEER rating so one of you is wrong!
They both appear to be wrong. EER is simply Energy Efficiency Ratio and is calculated with a specific internal and external temp and is commonly used for portable units such as window AC units where they are not a permanent part of the structure that they are cooling. http://www.air-conditioner-home.com/eer.aspx SEER is the Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio and is used for permanent units such as central AC units and heat pumps which are basically central AC units that can run backwards. The SEER value is similar to EER but is calculated over a range of internal and external temps as these units are part of the structure they are set up to cool. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_energy_efficiency_ratio And this took all of about 10 seconds to find.

"miles" < snipped-for-privacy@nopers.com> wrote in message

Tbone, the AADT and sometime Snoball defender speaks up. <bg>
wrote in message

quoted text -

What exactly are you trying to say?

Nothing and everything. Take it how you wish Tom.

Taking things as "you wish" is the primary cause for most of the pissing contests and arguments in this group so I find it better to ask. Since you basically said that you didn't try to say anything, I'll just let it drop.

Gee, I guess we will all sleep better tonight now.<BFG>
I thought that you would :-)
"Roy" < snipped-for-privacy@Fhome.net> wrote in message

You better call Trane and tell them they're wrong, as they're rating their "plain central A/C's" by SEER:
http://www.trane.com/residential/products/airconditioners/xl19i.aspx
Tom Lawrence wrote:

Seems SEER applies to both. My heat pump has a SEER rating.

I did some more digging too. I have older Ruud literature sitting right on my desk showing AC and heat pump unit rating AC's in SEER and heat pumps in EER. Then I go on the net and I see SEER and EER ratings used on both AC and heat pump. Seems to me someone changed the rules sometime in the last couple years! Greg