OT: Home Theater Systems

Page 1 of 2
Ok, this is a room full of guys so I'm sure some of you will have advice :)
No furniture yet, but my first Home Theater system arrived yesterday. Samsung AS720 coupled with a Samsung B?1500 Blu-Ray player. We got it
mostly set up (My GOD, HDMI cables are expensive!), but I was wondering if any of you have any advice on tricks and tips for balancing the speakers for a proper listening experience?
BTW, if you're looking for an HTIB system, this is pretty nice, looks very sleek and so far is working well. Figuring out the remotes has been the hardest part :)
So today's plan? Watch a movie, of course!
Jodi

You might just start out with everything at "default" and go from there. Of course, balancing will depend on where viewers/listeners are sitting relative to each speaker. If the system doesn't have built-in balancing (with its own microphone), then you'll have to rely on your ears.
BTW, here's a great place to get HDMI cables from: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id 2&cp_id240 Prices are very reasonable and the products are good.
Suddenly, without warning, Joe exclaimed (8/2/2008 9:52 AM):

Oh, so you tell me that NOW!? Bit late though, isn't it? Why couldn't you have mentioned this before?
<vbg>
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind if I need more.
jmc

Sorry - if I'd have known...

You might be able to return the "expensive" cable depending where you got them. HDMI cables are a total rip off from the regular stores. I have yet to see anyone come close to MonoPrice's prices.
Suddenly, without warning, Joe exclaimed (8/2/2008 8:03 PM):

You did know I was kidding, right?

Nah. They look good, and look like they'll last a while. That's more important to me than price. Too much of a pain to return 'em, anyway.
jmc

Well, yeah... I shoulda put the smiley on there, eh?

I hear you. Returns are a huge PITA.
jmc wrote:

I second Mono Price. I bought my HDMI cable from them for something like $6. One of the best cables I've ever bought. And Mono Price ships the order very fast. I've ordered from them several times.
Bob

Jodi, the HDMI cables are only expensive if you want them to be. A 5.00 cable will get the job done.
For a bunch of info check out this link: http://www.avsforum.com /
Roy
On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 09:40:15 -0400, jmc

My Sony has a white noise feature to do this. But much is based on what you feel sounds 'right'.
What I really want (and have not found) is the "Return all the settings you screwed up to factory defaults" feature.

Which Sony do you have??
You gotta be kidding.... Get a damned tv with the speakers built into it and a remote. Then go to the animal shelter and get a big dog. Ya don't need nothing more than that.....
Denny

Denny wrote:

Denny is right! Go the wrong route and you'll be listening to the equipment instead of the music.

We agreed on something???? Damn.......
Denny
Suddenly, without warning, Denny exclaimed (8/2/2008 6:11 PM):

What? Did Hell freeze over when I wasn't looking?
jmc

No. You was poken too much damned fun at my belly to notice...
Denny
Suddenly, without warning, Denny exclaimed (8/2/2008 3:07 PM):

Actually, hubby agrees with you (about the TV. Not about the dog), but...
Waal, it's like this. I have an odd hearing problem where I can hear just fine, but have trouble actually hearing words properly (sometimes it's like people are speaking a different language). We have a nice TV with decent speakers, but they're still muddy enough I had trouble understanding the dialog.
Then, I made the mistake of letting someone at Best Buy demo "Open Range" (one of our favorite movies) on a set of speakers (for the curious, he showed the opening scene thunderstorm, and the ending gun battle). Wow! Not only the whole home theater experience (thunder that would scare the cat, actual ricochets of bullets, being able to hear the details, etc) but I could Actually Understand The Dialog!
I didn't buy the speaker set he was suggesting, btw. I got a much more modest but quite capable system.
And Meep the Travelcat won't let me get a big dog :)
jmc

Well heck, you been living upside down where folks talk a different language.
What did you expect? HELLO?
FMB (welcome back)
Suddenly, without warning, FMB exclaimed (8/2/2008 6:57 PM):

Crikey!
jmc

I have a wife, three daughters and a granddaughter. All of them females have the same problem as you....... selective hearing. Don't like what the man is saying......blame it on the ears....

Ya just need to get a bigger dog. Ole Meep will be hiding under the couch....er..tv set.
Denny

Yup, you need that many to keep you fed! <G>