OT<>

Page 9 of 9
wrote:

Yup, I can hear a few leaving the tubes. <VBG>

In a week or so I could ask the friggin' rabbit to ask him when they are having.........a session with "the machine"

Despite the sometimes negative comments about hybrids, I recently purchased a Toyota Camry. Didn't cost that much more that a new VW Jetta TDI, diesel, (I've been driving an 02 TDI) and fuel economy so far is 36mpg town and 42 highway - exactly what my 02 Jetta TDI (automatic) was getting.
When I bought my VW TDI in 02 I looked at the Prius and came close to getting one. However, I liked the VW TDI better and thought it had more room, especially in the trunk. I travel a lot so that was important to me. In my work I've had a chance to drive the Prius some. It seemed OK but I just didn't like the size and room. The newer Prius seems much nicer and but it is still a small car.
I recently bought the Camry hybrid for more room and comfort and have not been disappointed. It has good pickup and torque. You do get slowed down some on really long steep hills but still not bad. Handling is also very good with the traction control system on the Toyota. Not much different than driving the non-Hybrid Camry sedan. It has plenty of power for passing. Back seats are big enough for people to sit comfortably. Toyota hybrid system and gas engine have been used for enough years to have the major bugs out. Trunk is smaller than normal because of the battery but I don't find that an issue now and will just lower rear seats if I need more cargo room.
Many people talk about the batteries and 10 years. Batteries may or may not be an issue in the future. The new Camry hybrid battery is such that you can replace individual cells so expense for replacement is less. I also suspect that 10 years from now things may be different in terms of replacement and types of batteries. Who knows, it is always speculation.
I figure you are going to pay money either for gas or for a more fuel efficient car - one or the other. I preferred to finance it in the car payment since fuel prices are NOT going down significantly. Depending on how much you drive and cost of fuel the added cost of hybrid can be recouped through gas savings in 5-8 years.
Just my experience and opinions. Notice I didn't say anything about saving the environment, defeating global warming, tree hugging, etc. I'm definitely not in those categories! Just liked the car, room, and savings on gas now and in the future. I've owned a number of Toyotas over the years and they have all been good quality, reliable and trouble free - unlike some other cars I've had. I'm also old enough to want my creature comforts and remember gas at 0.269 per gallon!
John

JEB wrote:

A battery is no stronger than its weakest cell. Replacing one cell at a time as it wears out is pointless.

This really has to be just about the dumbest thing to come out of you so far. If a battery is no stronger than its weakest cell, then replacing that weak cell would restore the entire battery so why would you not want the ability to do that?

TBone wrote:

If all other cells were perfect. Odds are thats just not the case. You might buy yourself a little time but not much.

LOL, a bunch of if what's and maybes. In many cases a battery fails because a cell was defective and in the case of these batteries, it makes perfect sense to have the ability to replace just one or two cells if needed.

TBone wrote:

What a bunch of unsubstantiated BS. Hybrids have been on the road for several years now. Talk to your local dealer. I have. They have never once replaced a single cell. A few times the entire battery pack but never a single cell. Nice try though Tom!

Yea, what you said was but I tried to be nice.

Really?!?!?!? I didn't know that :-)

Name the dealer.

Wow, a whole single dealer. Since single cell replacement is a very NEW thing, I don't doubt that they haven't replaced a single cell and since ALL of those cars are still under warranty, they just replace the entire pack. As you said, nice try.

I cut one of the service techs hair from the GM dealer here in my town and he told me there was one of the hybrids they sold that has had to have the batteries changed 3 times in less than a year, under warrenty. Said the guy was going to crap when the warrenty ran out and he had to pay for them himself. They run over $1000 each and there are 2 of them. Don't know if he was truthful or he just didn't like the hybrids, but I don't think I want one now. LOL
KY

Don't want a hybrid, I'm waiting for this to catch on myself.
http://www.zapworld.com/ZAPWorld.aspx?idE60