OT Jeep project is finished!!!

Page 3 of 4

Nope.. not since the 60's... I figure I've killed enough folks for 1 lifetime... I kept lots of guns at home in the States, but not cuz I needed them I just liked 'em..
Had to give them all to the kids when we moved to Baja, illegal to own or import them here..
Oh.. I did sell the 9mm... the kids can have a good time with the rifles but don't need a handgun.. Now, if my kid in Iraq still had to carry that POS 45 I did, I would have found a way to get the 9mm to him, but that's what they use now..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Add pictures here
βœ–

_every_ adult "needs" a handgun sir.
--
Nathan In Montana
http://BighornTactical.com

Not an option in Mexico, Nate..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Add pictures here
βœ–

i wasnt aware you were in mexico. how long have you been there? btw, im currently trying to sponsor various mexicans to come up here to work for me. my last mexican oscar http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID ƒ7 was the best dang employee ive ever had period. im working on getting him back up here now, even paid for premium processing but the process just takes FOREVER. in a state economy with less than 2% unemployment its awful tough to find and keep workers.
.....btw, he tells me you can do just about anything in mexico that you can afford to do. if you cant carry there you just havent greased the right palm yet. :-)
--
Nathan In Montana
http://BighornTactical.com

in California, it's sort of nice and quiet here.. *g*

I quickly developed a severe case of rectal glaucoma... I just can't see my ass ever living in the States again..
Well, if we can help Oscar from this end, let me know.. Where's he from? (We're in Baja California, on the Sea of Cortez/Gulf of California)

Palm greasing is very effective here for some things, at first you think of it as a "bribe" but later as more of a "tip" but it's like eating a bowl of hot peppers... what ya do today might get your ass burned tomorrow..
You can "pay" a traffic ticket right on the scene sometimes, others you get accused of a bribe.. you just never know..
We've found that what comes natural to us, treating everyone with respect, goes a very long way.. I've seen "Ugly Americans" try a big bribe and get cuffed in the back of the truck and I've seen normal folks that treat the police with respect and just get a warning for the same offence..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Add pictures here
βœ–

thats not at all consistant with what im told. in fact, oscar says that i can purchase a license and bring mine with me should i come down to mexico city for a visit. is there a mexican law website somehwere?

he is in mexico city. his ramcharger however (shown in that picture) is in tijuana. they let him drive it into mexico but then wouldnt let him cross the mexican state lines to get to mexico city so he had to back track to tiajuana and leave his truck and catch a bus to mexico city. if youre close to tijuana he sure could use a safer place to park his truck until i can get his visa.
--
Nathan In Montana
http://BighornTactical.com

.....btw, i didnt think an american citizen could own property in mexico. ?
--
Nathan In Montana
http://BighornTactical.com

You can't... It has to be owned by a trust at the bank and leased to you... Our lease needs to be renewed in 45 years.. Like I'll live that long..lol
DON'T BRING GUNS OR AMMUNITION TO BAJA Mexico is very serious about gun control and the rules are pretty simple... they aren't allowed. You are not even allowed to possess ammunition in Mexico. And if they find a bullet in your possession it gives them a legal reason to detain you.
If you bring a gun to Mexico and try to use the excuse that it was for your personal protection or for hunting it won't matter, you will not get a sympathetic ear. But it might buy you some time in a Mexican slammer. They've heard all of the excuses... well before you crossed the border.
Hunting is allowed in some locations in Mexico but special permits must be obtained and they need to be procured in advance of entering the country.
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Add pictures here
βœ–

neat. how about some pics of your place? what does it cost to "lease" a decentl place down there for 45 years?
--
Nathan In Montana
http://BighornTactical.com

where ya want them sent.. ;-]

Well, prices are going up fast, but our lots were $30k each a couple of years ago... that's for 1/3 acre lots in the "multi-use" area.. meaning you can have an RV there year-round.. We want to built on the 2ns lot but just might keep it for investment.. It's 2 blocks away from our house.. Getting the house built was 150k with upgrades...
here's a little about how it works:
The Restricted Zone
The Mexican Constitution regulates the ownership of the land and establishes that "...in a zone of 100 kilometers along the border or 50 kilometers along the coast, a foreigner cannot acquire the direct ownership of the land." These areas are known as the "Restricted or Prohibited Zones". Nevertheless, the latest Mexican Foreign Investment Law, which became law on December 28, 1993, makes the allowances mentioned above.
Fideicomiso or Bank Trust:
Any foreigner or Mexican National can constitute a Fideicomiso (the equivalent to an American beneficial trust) through a Mexican bank in order to purchase real estate anywhere in Mexico, including the Restricted Zone. To do so, the buyer requests a Mexican bank of his/her choice to act as a trustee on his/her behalf.
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Add pictures here
βœ–
Nathan W. Collier wrote:

Mexican nationals can own small arms. For Americans a permit can be obtained in advanced from the Mexican Embassy in DC. Only small arms are allowed. A 9mm for instance is considered military grade and not allowed. Without such a permit you're looking at a few years in prison for even having a single bullet in your possession.

Add pictures here
βœ–

The United Mexican States or Mexico (Spanish: Estados Unidos Mexicanos or Mιxico) has some of the strictest gun laws in the world. It is in many ways similar to the United Kingdom, except with much more severe prison terms for even the smallest gun law violations. On the other hand, possession of non-military-caliber small arms by citizens is largely a non-issue. Gun politics are thus not the major issue in Mexico that they are in the neighboring United States, since few Mexican citizens have any gun law difficulties. The primary source of guns used in criminal activities Mexico is illegal smuggling.
Don't know about this part, Miles... I have a feeling that the law is on the books but that permit is pretty hard to get... I know of no one that has one..
Gun licensing and legislation for US citizens, and citizens from other countries The US Department of State warns US citizens against taking any firearm or ammunition into Mexico without prior written authorization from the Mexican authorities. Entering Mexico with a firearm, or even a single round of ammunition, carries a penalty of up to five years in prison, even if the firearm or ammunition is taken into the country unintentionally. Furthermore even a single round of 9 mm ammunition, being a military caliber cartridge, carries even heavier jail-time penalties. The only way legally to import firearms and/or ammunition into Mexico is to secure a permit in advance from the Mexican Embassy in Washington, D.C. or from a Mexican consulate.
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Add pictures here
βœ–

I don't know what to tell you, Nate.. We cross the border a lot and there are huge "Guns and ammo illegal in Mexico" signs all over.. I've heard that you can get some kind of special permit to bring in a sporting rifle specifically for hunting during a specific time, but don't know anyone that's done it..

I hear that.. I guess the folks on the mainland are pretty tight assed.. I don't think anyone would care if we had a 4th truck parked at our place.. we're about 120 miles east of TJ near San Felipe..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Add pictures here
βœ–
mac davis wrote:

In Puerto Penasco a friend got a speeding ticket while stopped at a light. A local had rear ended his car and was not cited. Accidents are often the fault of whomever has the most money.
Add pictures here
βœ–

For sure... We were warned by the folks selling Mexican auto insurance (after we bought it) that if in even a little fender bender, expect to be blamed..
OTOH, the people down here are generally friendly and helpful... We had a pretty bad experience in the Blazer a few weeks ago with it over heating between Algadonis and home and had to stop 3 times in people's front yards for help/water.. We were taken very good care of every time and every one of them refused to take any money for their time.. Just some really cool people..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Add pictures here
βœ–

Was it that they were unable or simply chose not to. While I'm sure they were scared, they had nothing to lose by attacking the guy, especially after he shot the first one. Many people will do nothing, even if they have the gun.

Once again, unable or simply unwilling. Since he didn't have a gun himself, how many people could he possibly fight off, especially if jumped on from behind.

While that sounds good, what if as the little old man was about to shoot the scumbag, someone else with a gun came around the corner, saw the old man getting ready to shoot the attacker and thought the old man was the attacker and shot the old man.

I am sure that you do but you are under the assumption that everyone that would be carrying would both know what to do and act rationally.

βœ–

Spent some time last night thinking about that one and how many people are in a wal-mart and how many cool weapons are at hand there, from shopping carts to butcher knives.. People stood around because that's the kind of people they were.. that parts a no-brainer.. There are many "heroes" out there that used fists, flying tackles, mace or plain masses of people to stop attacks like that one or worse...
The type of person who carries may or may not give a shit about anyone but themselves, either.. for all you know, one or more of the folks watching the lady get attacked were carrying..
Guns don't make folks smarter, faster, more honest or morale, any more than guns can be blamed for killing people all by themselves..
Personally, I like guns a lot, but the last 3 people on earth I want to try and have a conversation with are the ones that are newly reborn, just quit smoking or think that everyone should have guns..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Add pictures here
βœ–

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Add pictures here
βœ–

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Add pictures here
βœ–

Why would you even think I'm talking about anything else....
Denny
Add pictures here
βœ–