OT Jeep project is finished!!!

See my reponse to Nate. I recall one of our more "famous" cases here... the owner of a jewelry store, who frequently carried either large sums of money to the bank, or valuable merchandise to his store, applied for a carry permit. As his "justifiable reason", he pointed out how he had been mugged previously, and the nature of his business demanded that he be able to protect/defend himself. When asked about private security, he showed that the cost of a full-time private security guard would cost him more than he made from his business annually.

The judge's response to his request? "Denied. Perhaps you should move your business elsewhere."

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Nate.. it's one of those things us ol' farts do when we're too old to fight and too fat to run..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

dang...you ever consider living in PA and commuting? PA has some excellent carry laws. in fact ive just applied for my PA permit just for the reciprocity with WV. i plan to take my rhino to the hatfield mccoy trail system in WV but WV doesnt honor MT permits. they do honor PA permits however, and it only cost $26 to get the PA permit.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Only about once a week. I own property in PA, but it's just a little too far for a reasonable commute (2.5-3.0 hr ride, depending on traffic).

That they do.

Yep... good ol' Centre County. Will issue a non-resident PA permit to the holder of any other state permit.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

wow.. puts a whole new wrinkle into the gun control argument..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

awesome, ill look forward to seeing you on the forum. ;)

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

if i ever were to move back east it would have to be western PA. i love the area, the scenery, and the gun laws.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

im still pretty fit but with so many blood based diseases out there im not going to mix it up with anybody? you carry too huh? come on into the forum. youll find one of the best group of guys anywhere. :-)

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Nope.. not since the 60's... I figure I've killed enough folks for 1 lifetime... I kept lots of guns at home in the States, but not cuz I needed them I just liked 'em..

Had to give them all to the kids when we moved to Baja, illegal to own or import them here..

Oh.. I did sell the 9mm... the kids can have a good time with the rifles but don't need a handgun.. Now, if my kid in Iraq still had to carry that POS 45 I did, I would have found a way to get the 9mm to him, but that's what they use now..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

_every_ adult "needs" a handgun sir.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Not so much fun on a bicycle!

I nearly blew my legs and lungs out going up and down those short but steep hills, one after another all day long (and I've been across the Cascades and Rockies)!

I did notice it was pretty country though, in between deep breaths when the dizziness would subside a bit!

SMH

Reply to
Stephen Harding

Not an option in Mexico, Nate..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

i wasnt aware you were in mexico. how long have you been there? btw, im currently trying to sponsor various mexicans to come up here to work for me. my last mexican oscar

was the best dang employee ive ever had period. im working on getting him back up here now, even paid for premium processing but the process just takes FOREVER. in a state economy with less than 2% unemployment its awful tough to find and keep workers.

.....btw, he tells me you can do just about anything in mexico that you can afford to do. if you cant carry there you just havent greased the right palm yet. :-)

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Owning a gun is a federal offense here... After living around the gang bangers in California, it's sort of nice and quiet here.. *g*

We started the house in '05 and moved here in Oct. 06... I quickly developed a severe case of rectal glaucoma... I just can't see my ass ever living in the States again..

Well, if we can help Oscar from this end, let me know.. Where's he from? (We're in Baja California, on the Sea of Cortez/Gulf of California)

Palm greasing is very effective here for some things, at first you think of it as a "bribe" but later as more of a "tip" but it's like eating a bowl of hot peppers... what ya do today might get your ass burned tomorrow..

You can "pay" a traffic ticket right on the scene sometimes, others you get accused of a bribe.. you just never know..

We've found that what comes natural to us, treating everyone with respect, goes a very long way.. I've seen "Ugly Americans" try a big bribe and get cuffed in the back of the truck and I've seen normal folks that treat the police with respect and just get a warning for the same offence..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

thats not at all consistant with what im told. in fact, oscar says that i can purchase a license and bring mine with me should i come down to mexico city for a visit. is there a mexican law website somehwere?

he is in mexico city. his ramcharger however (shown in that picture) is in tijuana. they let him drive it into mexico but then wouldnt let him cross the mexican state lines to get to mexico city so he had to back track to tiajuana and leave his truck and catch a bus to mexico city. if youre close to tijuana he sure could use a safer place to park his truck until i can get his visa.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

.....btw, i didnt think an american citizen could own property in mexico. ?

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

In Puerto Penasco a friend got a speeding ticket while stopped at a light. A local had rear ended his car and was not cited. Accidents are often the fault of whomever has the most money.

Reply to
Miles

Mexican nationals can own small arms. For Americans a permit can be obtained in advanced from the Mexican Embassy in DC. Only small arms are allowed. A 9mm for instance is considered military grade and not allowed. Without such a permit you're looking at a few years in prison for even having a single bullet in your possession.

Reply to
Miles

I don't know what to tell you, Nate.. We cross the border a lot and there are huge "Guns and ammo illegal in Mexico" signs all over.. I've heard that you can get some kind of special permit to bring in a sporting rifle specifically for hunting during a specific time, but don't know anyone that's done it..

I hear that.. I guess the folks on the mainland are pretty tight assed.. I don't think anyone would care if we had a 4th truck parked at our place.. we're about 120 miles east of TJ near San Felipe..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

You can't... It has to be owned by a trust at the bank and leased to you... Our lease needs to be renewed in 45 years.. Like I'll live that long..lol

DON'T BRING GUNS OR AMMUNITION TO BAJA Mexico is very serious about gun control and the rules are pretty simple... they aren't allowed. You are not even allowed to possess ammunition in Mexico. And if they find a bullet in your possession it gives them a legal reason to detain you.

If you bring a gun to Mexico and try to use the excuse that it was for your personal protection or for hunting it won't matter, you will not get a sympathetic ear. But it might buy you some time in a Mexican slammer. They've heard all of the excuses... well before you crossed the border.

Hunting is allowed in some locations in Mexico but special permits must be obtained and they need to be procured in advance of entering the country.