OT legality of strobe lights on vehicles, plus rough ride

I'd say your "buttometer" is working well. :-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Thanks Harold... It makes perfect sense.

Ignoramus1729

Ayup... If you ain't a cop, ambulance, or fire truck, and show red light(s) to the front, you're effectively driving around with the equivalent of about a 40-by-40 foot billboard strapped to your roof that reads "C'mon, cop! I dare ya! Wassamatta? Too busy giving your K9 partner a BJ?" - And you're likely to be dealt with accordingly...

Reply to
Don Bruder

Eh...depends. In Wisconsin, if you've got the lights and siren, and if they're both _on_, you _are_ an emergency vehicle, by definition. Those same lights in Illinois might be a problem, on or off. It varies by state at least. Galls.com might have a guide to all that crap maybe.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

That's the nicest thing anyone's said to me in weeks...

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

the question then becomes are you an authorzed emergency vehicle in valid emergency operation. i dont care where you are you cant run like your going to a call if your going after pizza, even if your in the pumper.

thus the reason for the emergency permit required in the state of Georgia.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Well, of course. Misuse of that sort of thing is well past "bad idea", well into "you get what you deserve".

Yup. New guys sometimes need to be reminded of that, and the "reasonable and prudent" clause as well. It's neither reasonable nor prudent, for example, to go 70 through town past the grade school, lights & siren or no; POV, or truck, or ambo.

After the first time or two they either mellow, or they don't get to drive emergency vehicles.

Here we need a letter from the chief, if a POV is being used with lights/siren.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

In ontario it must be a BLUE flasher for snow - and ONLY for snow.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

as well did we inorder to get the permit from the state. without that permit if the PD wanted to they could give you a ticket or worse weither the chief ok'd your use of lights/siren or not.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

blue does not indicate PD there?

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

In Ontario PD use red and white (with amber on some of the newer bubble gum machines) as do ambulance. Fire use red and white and sometimes have the addition of green flashers (green indicates part time firemen en route to a call but they must adhere to all traffic regulations including speed and traffic lights.

Blue is *only* used for snow removal vehicles (plows, backhoes, graders etc.) during a snow storm as blue light is easier to see in the snow. When spring comes around all the blue lenses are changed out for amber ones for summer use.

Reply to
Larry Green

Ignoramus1729 wrote in news:6e5Ef.62202$ snipped-for-privacy@fe07.usenetserver.com:

Toss 4 bags of concrete mix in the bed, it will ride a whole lot better.

Reply to
Anthony

in my location yellow is OK, snow plow trucks and other utility vehicles have them. red and or blue are prohibited - restricted to authorised emergency vehicles.

you need to check with police in your area as rules vary widely.

Reply to
marks542004

Reply to
Eide

Four bags is not that much, I am surprised that you suggest that so little extra weight would help. Not that I know anything.

Ignoramus1729

Nope - coppers up here have red and white - just like fire and ambulance. Voluteer firefighters have green. Yellow or yellow and white are used on tow trucks, wide loads, school bus roofs, and service vehicles of any sort parked in the roadway. Blue is snow removal only, and ONLY while removong snow. Don't be running down the road between jobs with the blade up and the flasher on!

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Ignoramus1729 wrote in news:jWdEf.73338 $ snipped-for-privacy@fe35.usenetserver.com:

That's 320 lbs. Just enough to get the springs off the 'full extended' position. Placing them nearer to the tailgate will be more beneficial.

Reply to
Anthony

Probably gray primer under white paint, but check the truck's body tag for the original color - It might have been built as a silver truck, then the state changed their mind and wanted the fleet all white and they had it repainted.

GTE did that - they got some really fast and cheap white paint jobs done. And it didn't help that some of the original silver paint jobs were rather tentatively stuck to the bodies in the first place... There were more than a few trucks that needed a full stripping down to primer and a proper second paint job done.

If it is primer and it's clean (no rust) you can leave the existing paint alone. You just need to hit the bad spots with fine sandpaper (600 or finer Wet-Or-Dry paper used wet) to feather the edges of the bare spot smooth and get some tooth for the new paint to grab, use the proper paint thinner to strip any wax oil or grease, mask it off, and paint it. Several light coats, build it up.

Any good auto parts store with an auto paint department can mix matching paint a quart at a time, and they'll have the right thinner/reducer and all the other supplies you need. Drive the truck there so they can see it, and they can even adjust the color to match any existing fading so you don't have to repaint the whole thing...

Too bad it's a Dodge. Rustoleum V2196838 (4TH68) Fleet White in the piss can matches "GM Fleet White", and it's great for masking the inevitable bed dings. It might be close enough to match on a Dodge.

And remember: It's A Truck - It's for Working, not for Looks. So what if the paint looks like crap if you study it up close. If it looks good when you back up 5 feet and it's sealed so it can't rust, that's all that really matters. ;-P

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

A yellow light is recognized as a "caution" indicator in every state. It does not identify your vehicle as an "emergency vehicle". Were these lights red or blue I believe you would be OK as long as you didn't ever turn them on. Once you did you would be subject to citation.

Wiz

Reply to
Wiz

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 18:53:42 GMT, Ignoramus1729 replied:

If the bed is really lumpy with the dried paint, see about renting a heat stripper. If it is not so bad, get a used bedlinerfor $30-50 -- the paint underneath will stop the bed from ever rusting! about the touchups, try lightly sanding where the grey shows through, and spray a couple of light coats of white CHROMIUM primer, and where you see the metal -- tailgate and spots on rear quarter -- you should sand off the rust and use quite a few coats (comes in spray bomb -- can get it in stock usually in black and white, or order the right colour from most Napa type places) This type of primer sticks well and helps prevent rust. After that you don't really need to paint because this type of primer comes as a gloss.

btw, I love your truck -- great shape for a 86-89. Let me know if you come across another one with a slant six (225), 360, 400 or 440

rach

Reply to
Rachel Easson