OT: Looking for 12v Siphon pump

Page 1 of 2
20+ years ago a friend had a 12-v powered siphon pump (ostensibly for siphoning gas) that got its power from the cig. lighter socket. He found it in a J.C. Whitney catalog. Has anyone seen anything like this recently
and if so, where can it be bought?
Thanks.

Harbour feight tools sells a cheap 12 volt marine pump. You can screw regular garden hoses on the each of the openings. It has clips to attach to battery terminals. I do not see why you cannot can the connector.
GB
snipped-for-privacy@dodgecity.cc wrote:

================== Yeah...... it's called an electric fuel pump.
What are you using it for?
~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his crownroyal, takes a toke off his pipe~

siphoning gas.... I do not want to use a manual hand pump and the old mouth suction method is unacceptable as well. The intended usage would be to make my vehicle fuel available to run an emergency generator
================== snipped-for-privacy@dodgecity.cc wrote:

============ What's the chances you live near "Hurricane Alley"...oops..The Gulf Coast??
any whooo....... after Ivan tore through here and subsequent generator purchase..... I rigged my 12V air compressor up to pump air into the WallyWorld gas cans I purchased.
I took one of the gas jug caps (I am now the proud owner of 8 5 gallon gas jugs) and ran a piece of 1/2 inch clear tubing through it. The half inch tubing sealed fairly well against the flexible plastic spout of the gas jugs spout. I had to nip a bit of the spout off to get the tubing through it and get it to seal tight.
Then....I simply rigged another piece of hose to slip over the vent port of the gas jugs, took an old valve stem, removed the core, and wahlah...... portable gas station. I hook it up to my battery jump box.
I'm using a cheapo 12v air compressor I got at Harbour Freight to through in the trunk of the wifes car. It was around $20 best I remember.
The only prob is....you have to moniter the whole transferr process..... or...install a pop off valve somewhere, because even using that low volume air pump....those plastic WallyWorld gas jugs tend to puff out a bit. (nothing scary...jest a little puffy lol)
any whoooo....... it took care of me for 3 1/2 weeks after Ivan hit..... 1 1/2 weeks after Dennis blew through.... 6 days after Katrina went west of me 200 miles..(whew)
so.... there's a working, cheap, proven method.
or...... you could rig an inexpensive AutoZonedOut electric fuel pump up.
~:~ MarshMonster ~Pensacola~
"Marsh Monster" wrote: "What's the chances you live near "Hurricane Alley"...oops..The Gulf Coast?? any whooo....... after Ivan tore through here and subsequent generator purchase..... I rigged my 12V air compressor up to pump air into the WallyWorld gas cans I purchased. I took one of the gas jug caps (I am now the proud owner of 8 5 gallon gas jugs) and ran a piece of 1/2 inch clear tubing through it. The half inch tubing sealed fairly well against the flexible plastic spout of the gas jugs spout. I had to nip a bit of the spout off to get the tubing through it and get it to seal tight. Then....I simply rigged another piece of hose to slip over the vent port of the gas jugs, took an old valve stem, removed the core, and wahlah...... portable gas station. I hook it up to my battery jump box. I'm using a cheapo 12v air compressor I got at Harbour Freight to hrough in he trunk of the wifes car. It was around $20 best I remember. The only prob is....you have to moniter the whole transferr process..... or...install a pop off valve somewhere, because even using that low volume air pump....those plastic WallyWorld gas jugs tend to puff out a bit. (nothing scary...jest a little puffy lol) any whoooo....... it took care of me for 3 1/2 weeks after Ivan hit..... 1 1/2 weeks after Dennis blew through....6 days after Katrina went west of me 200 miles..(whew) so....there's a working, cheap, proven method. or...... you could rig an inexpensive AutoZonedOut electric fuel pump up."
What you have is a possible explosion. Mixing air with gasoline and you have a potential for explosion set off by a small electric spark, heat from the transfer pump, or static electricity. Given gasoline has a LEL/LFL of 1.4 and an upper of 7.6 as long as the gasoline/air mixtures stays out of that range you are okay. Within those ranges and you have an explosion.
Sarge
============Licker wrote:

====================
I've been using "shop force" compressed air to get gas out of vehicals for years....so far so good. (160psi..many,many times in 35 years) Learned it as a teenager from my pop.
but, I'll keep yer posted facts under consideration, will Google a bit on the subject, and surely change my proceedure if the results confirm your posted facts, or unless I blow myself up before I gets inter-ested enough to google on the subject.
keep yer fangers crossed fer me, and says some hellmaries.
~:~ marsh ~better fire that gen&ater up....tis the season~
Marsh Monster wrote: "I've been using "shop force" compressed air to get gas out of vehicals for years....so far so good. (160psi..many,many times in 35 years) Learned it as a teenager from my pop. but, I'll keep yer posted facts under consideration, will Google a bit on the subject, and surely change my proceedure if the results confirm your posted facts, or unless I blow myself up before I gets inter-ested enough to google on the subject.'
I work in the petrochemical industry. We do not use air to force any liquid out of a vessel, pipe or pump cavity, We only use an inert gas (nitrogen) due to the fact that if you used air and the product you are pushing is flammable then you have two elements of the fire triangle (fuel and oxygen). Now all you need is an ignition source and the right flammable limits and you have problems. Why risk it? Air is a whole lot cheaper to use then nitrogen in an industrial operation but the risk out weigh the cost involved.
Someone else mentioned using the port on the fuel rail with the right connection. This sounds good but most vehicles, the electric fuel pump is designed to shutdown if the engine does not crank within so many seconds. Someone else mentioned the anti siphon devices in the neck of fuel tanks. This may make it harder for you to siphon the gasoline from a vehicle with anti siphon plates.
Here is a link to an interesting case using a shop vac. http://www.kingcountyjournal.com/sited/story/html/108451
Someone also mention purchasing an electric fuel pump for a vehicle. This might work if you bought one of the inline pumps people use to install back in the 80's. An in the tank pump would not work as well as the pump may get to hot. The in the tank type pumps are cooled by the gasoline in the tank.
One idea is to purchase a fuel caddy. Here is a link to some http://www.interstateproducts.com/fluid_transfer.htm?gclid=COa_zJe8p4QCFUF9OAod102QiA This could be filled prior to a hurricane approaching and used to fuel your vehicles after the danger is gone.
Sarge
==========> Marsh Monster wrote: "I've been using "shop force" compressed air to get

==================== Licker wrote:

====================Licker, I can understand the concern of using the compress air, and I AM NOT, repeat...AM NOT, suggesting anyone use the method. However, it's worked for fluid transfer for me for over 35 years on products ranging from Lacquer thinner when I started out doing body work, to gas, to the mineral spirits that I use in the tranny shop. . Again, I DO NOT recomend this technique to anyone. It works for me. . but..... If I find out, as the poster implied, that using the compressed air is, in itself, the cause of ignition (which I have serious doubts about), then I'll stop doing it. maybe . . . . As far as your fuel caddy link, good info. The problem is when the electric went out when the 2 hurricanes came through, and one tropical storm who's name fails me, I was going through 6 gallons of fuel about every 12-13 hours on the generator. I'm not sure I'd want to purchase eight or ten fuel caddies to be hauling back and forth to the gas station. The 5 gallon WallyWorld jugs are easy enough to transport, and just happen to be of a capacity to fill the generator and leave the can empty once you get the timing down. lol . . . . Hurricane season hits in June and I'm thinking seriously of getting a couple of the empty 55 gallon jugs from the shop to keep at the house. If we get a warning here on the Gulf, we have plenty of time to prepare, so i'll just fill those up using my WallyWorld technique.
anywhoooo.......... good links, good info
~:~ MarshMonster ~Pensacola FL~ ~hopes his homegrown is picked before the hurrycanes hit~
2006 16:36:33 -0700, Marsh Monster wrote:

Yikes! If you're just running a TV and a couple of lights, a deep cycle battery and an 800 watt (modified sine wave) inverter will do fine. Run the generator for an hour maybe 5 or 6 times a day to keep the refrigerator cold, use the microwave, vacuum cleaner, water pump, any other high wattage stuff you need (a/c?), and charge the battery back up. The rest of the time, enjoy the silence.

With the battery/inverter setup, you'll burn a LOT less fuel in the generator. The rest of the time, the setup works real well as a UPS/surge protector for your computer, etc.
A deep cycle battery goes for $40-$50, and the 1500 watt inverter I just got cost $90 + $25 shipping. It's for an RV, and needed to be big enough to handle the largish microwave. Take the microwave out of the picture, and the next highest "necessity" appliance is the coffee maker at 1000 watts. Actually, water could be heated on the LP stove for coffee, but that takes too long! ;-)
==============, Marsh Monster wrote:

==============Steve Ackman wrote:

==================== Steve, come on down to Pensacola some August.
Beleive me.....you AIN"T gonna cut that air conditioner OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
not me.
any whoooooo...... I can afford it.
:)
The only real pain in the arse is the gas lines after the hurryupcane comes through and fubars everything around. I'm hoping the 55 gallon barrels aren't going to be necessary for a while.
~:~ Marsh Monster ~:~
2006 19:12:51 -0700, Marsh Monster wrote:

Oh, Pesacola. Up north. ;-)
We lived in Middleburg (30 miles SW of Jax) for about 6 years, Lakeland, Gainesville, and Archer for varying amounts of time... and we also owned some land more or less up your way, 30 miles north of Panama City, several miles outside Chipley, and yes, I'd alternate the a/c on an hour, off an hour, no problem.
I had a construction trailer I used for a workshop. No a/c at all in that.
During the NADEPJAX years, I mostly drove an '82 Bronco without a/c, and had a backup '79 Bonneville (also without a/c), and one day after a t-storm, came out after work to find the electric windows wouldn't go down! Man! After a few August days in a car with no a/c and no windows, anything else is a picnic.
But hey... if you're so "tender" you can't turn off your a/c for an hour, prepare accordingly. ;-)

My grandfather had a big ol' overhead 250 gallon tank with hose and nozzle for filling tractors and such. One of those would give you plenty of reserve. (Was it Hugo that had parts of Charleston in the dark for over a month?... and I'm pretty sure Andrew had places powerless for at least a month too, didn't he?)
==============Steve Ackman wrote:

==================Steve, I was born and raised in South Carolina. I've been here in FL for about 8 years now.
YES.......Hugo was a nightmare. Someplaces didn't get electric back on for almost 2 months. My hometown is 30 miles south of Charleston, as the crow flies, Beaufort.
My wife and I spent the night in a motel about 50 miles inland. NOT FREEK"N FAR ENOUGH!!!!!
any whoooo...... I've had my fill of hurricanes. But, they do give you warning they're on the way, and I've gotten pretty good at preparing for them. Wouldn't want to live in an area that was prone to Tornados...so....here I sit. lol
~:~ Marsh ~:~
21:57:04 -0700, Marsh Monster wrote:

I forgot to mention... I worked in the machine shop at NADEP JAX for 6 years with no a/c, so I guess I just got used to it. None at work, none in the cars, none in the home shop. I never let the thermostat go below 80, and preferably 82 when I could get away with it (wife and kids complained a little at 80 but they noticed when I edged it up a bit).

Yeah, we drove through on I-95 about four months after. Even some of the interstate services were still down.

Me too. We're moving to northern NH in a few weeks. No hurricanes, no tornados, no earthquakes, no sandstorms, no tsunamis... just the occasional ice storm that brings the power lines down... usually measured in hours, sometimes in days, and very rarely in weeks... but a woodstove, battery and inverter with the occasional charge from the generator is all you need.
I've lived farther north than 50N and farther south than 18.5N. Right there about 44.2N is a bit farther north than I'd ideally like, but seems a reasonable compromise. OB: Matter of fact, we lived just a few miles from the Chrysler Cold Test Facility a couple years ago.

Yeah, tornados are probably the worst as far as no warning. You get some warning with snowstorms too.

Wait 'till your wife starts going through "the change" - we keep the place like a damned freezer.

Tropical Storm Allison dumped 48 inches of rain on Houston in 3 days and had parts of town without electricity for 3 weeks. Fortunately ours never blinked, but we were lucky because at the time we weren't prepared. Today we are.
01:27:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@dodgecity.cc wrote:

You're too late with that "warning." It wasn't during the Florida years... though I can't actually recall where... Maybe NH or MN, and that's why it didn't really make any impression on me? ;-)
I grabbed a total of 12 5-gal cans and plan to 'fill up' only if something looks to be headed into the gulf. You're right, in the summer time YOU AIN'T gonna shut that air off. I was positively elated that the Generac 1019 will pull a 4-ton York with headroom to spare.
By my calculations with the A/C running we'll burn close to 1 gallon per hour. Got plenty of oil, spare filter, spare spark plug and will have 60 gallons of gas (regardless of cost) plus whatever's in the vehicles. We're 62 miles inland and 94 feet above sea level so no threat of flooding, just wind (and possible tornados spawned by whatever hurricane might be in the area. Wifey thinks we should buy some plywood so we can board up the place. Only problem w/that is where do we store the plywood when not needed? Between all my other yard toys there's not much room. I'd hate to have to lay it under the vehicles. Then it's always in the way. Guess it's time to clean out the garage and get rid of some junk.
Also with the recent conversion in this area to "gasahol" (10% ethanol) we can no longer leave fuel in any equipment (mower, chain saw, etc) longer than about 30 days, even with stabilizer. The damned gasahol draws moisture and becomes acidic causing corrosion in the carbeurator. Thanks again EPA.

Houston.... Yeah, generator frenzy is rampant this year, they're literally flying off the shelves. New policy tho at Home Depot and Lowes, "All generator sales are final" (no returns).
By the way, let me tell you about "price gouging". Currently empty 5-gallon plastic gas cans are selling for $17.96 apiece. Welcome to the "guff coast".
I picked up a GENERAC 1019 (13.5 kw peak, 7500 continuous), found a manual 2-pole knife switch style transfer switch and wired it all in last weekend. We also put a hard start kit and a 5-minute lockout timer on the A/C compressor. I was pleasantly surprised that with the hard start kit the 1019 runs the whole house and the 4-ton York central air system just fine. Nice generator.

Thanks for the idea.

====================== snipped-for-privacy@dodgecity.cc wrote:

======================I'm using a 5500 continuos. It runs for 12-13 hours when full. (6 gal tank)
What we did after Ivan was to shut off the rooms in the house that we didn't have to use. I bought a window AC unit that keeps half the house cool and it worked out good. We were without electric for three weeks after Ivan and 2 after Dennis. Had a bit of tropical storm that hit inbetween the 2 hurricanes, but power was back on within a week. lmao
any whooooo....... the same "No Return" policy is going on here at Lowes and Home Depot both. Our gas cans are still a reasonable $5-$6 around town for the 5 gallon ones. They sure are getting you guys on the price of those.
Two side notes....... I've got brudder-n-law over near Corpus.
and....ck ur mail on the VW thing.
~:~ marsh ~Pensacola~

The Generac 1019 (7500 cont. 13500 peak) claims to run 10 hours on a 7 gallon tank at 50% load, but with the A/C running we were measuring closer to 80% during our 2 hour test run. What concerns me is how loud that damn thing gets when the A/C kicks in. Someone in another group suggested that I might be able to retrofit it with an automobile muffler.

We originally thought about getting a 12,000 btu window unit, but after finding out that the Generac will pull a 4-ton A/C along with the other "necessary" things in a 1900 s.f. home (pleasant surprise!) we should be OK as long as the outage isn't too widespread and doesn't last longer than 3 days. I'll have enough fuel to go 3 days, after that .....