OT -- Looking to upgrade Computer

She made sense to you!

So tell me all about this business of yours anyways.

Reply to
miles

Sorry Miles, but you are still spinning your wheels. They knew about the business computer market and the PC was not their first attempt or even first machine that they sold in the micro-computer area and nobody copied them but even still, what in the hell does that have to do with protecting themselves??? If IBM was a closed system as you think, they would have one every lawsuit because there could be no way that anyone else could create a compatible unit to it. Nobody was making legal duplicates of Atari 800's, Apple II's, TRS 80"s , Commodore C64's or Amiga's. Do you really think that all of these new companies knew more about building computers and protecting themselves than IBM. You are really sounding like an idiot.

Which means what?? Oh yea, nothing as usual.

I look it up.. Do you want some links? Here is one of many for you.

at October 1981

That's because they didn't exist yet. Are you really this stupid? As I said, I really don't think that you are who you claim to be.

Yawn, Sorry Miles, but that would be you.

IBM was a huge success and the reason why so many of us own PC's instead of Mac's or some other closed system. The fact that IBM still exists even after the failure of their PC division is the reason for their success because companies buying them knew that they would not be SOL if the attempt didn't work out well. Like I said before, the majority of business were waiting for a specific set of conditions to invest in micro-computers and the IBM PC met them and was hugely successful and that and the open architecture that they set it up for lead to the massive number of clones. Face it Miles, you are wrong. Be a man for a change and just suck it up.

Reply to
TBone

Huh? I'm the one who stated that the IBM PC was an open platform. Hmm...get out of the spin cycle!!

What part of NEVER did you not comprehend? IBM NEVER used any off the shelf parts. That was YOUR claim that they did so. RE-READ your own post before spinning. You will argue either direction to suit your needs!

Tom, you stated IBM used off the shelf parts. Show me one such example. Oh wait, you can't because just above you reversed yourself 'because they didn't exist'. Good grief.

Reply to
miles

First, you say that IBM is an open platform and then you say that IBM did't intend for it to be one, talk about spin. What I said was that IBM designed the PC to be an open platform and the link that I provided and you deleted (imagine that) clearly stated exactly that. You OTOH, claimed that IBM built the PC as a closed platform but were too stupid to protect themselves and didn't paten anything which turned it into an open system. Now where is your proof or is this just another all to typically incorrect Miles fact?

Really??? Was it not YOU who said that they started using Hercules graphics cards. Even if they used their version, they didn't design it.

Once again, you resort to spin and lies. I said that they designed the PC with an open architecture so that they could build their PC's from off of the shelf parts. Just because it didn't happen the way IBM intended doesn't change the fact.

No, I didn't now either stop lying or back it up.

Read above and then show me one example where I said that they did.

It really is sad to see you twist and spin like this. It was a new system so how could any parts exist for it before it existed, LOL!!! But even thinking this way, where is your proof that every card and part in the early PC's were both designed and built by IBM? Like I said Miles, you really need to grow a spine and suck it up when you are wrong. You act far more like a pissed off 17 year old than the business owner that you claim to be and as I said, I have my doubts. This discussion has become pointless and now that you have deleted just about everything (lost on just about every point), I see no need to waste any more time here. Have a good weekend Miles.

Reply to
TBone

Nobody was making legal duplicates of Atari 800's,

Having used all the above is it any surprise that nobody tried to clone any of the above. I remember in elementary school using trash 80's with the tape drive. and I had the Atari 800XL which was pretty much a game console with a keyboard grafted to it. The Commodore and the Amiga were little better as I remember And as much as I hate to admit of the bunch only the Apple was useful.

Reply to
jeffrey David Miller

Most of them were indeed cloned, especially the Apple II most notably by Franklin. The Amiga was years ahead of its time. Far more capable than anything else on the market at the time. It's trouble was the marketing dept. at Commodore.

Reply to
miles