OT -- Looking to upgrade Computer

Page 5 of 5
Beryl wrote:

You miss the point. PC-Chips sell the identical boards under several different brand names. Many boards you may purchase do not say ABIT or PC-Chips on them...but they are they exact same board, no difference. Just different box, labels and marketing.
miles wrote:

Maybe, Abit has changed. But your statement "They have always been cheap low end boards" is a crock. So... which abit boards are now sold under another name?
AnandTech reviewers were recently irate when an abit AB9 QuadGT cooked some expensive memory. A second look, after they'd calmed down and the QuadGT's BIOS was fixed, had a different tone.

Boy, I get fogged in for a day and you miss me already.

Nothing about feelings. Just reduces the bullshit posts I have to wade through.
azwiley1 wrote:

I've had many issues with ABIT. They're a lower end board. Luck of the draw with some good some bad. ASUS is one of the best. Gigabyte is a decent low to mid priced board. Years ago I used only Tyan but they started having bios and other issues and I dumped them. I now use ECS for low end, MSI for mid level and Supermicro or ASUS for high end.

The only video cards I stay away from are ATI. They are junk. Their Open-GL graphics support is poor so most CAD programs struggle with them.

SATA is pretty darn quick and IDE is fading fast. For a server I prefer SCSI. Not so much for the speed but rather the higher end drives with long MTBF rates are mostly SCSI.
Chris Thompson wrote:

I have over 30 years experience in electronic and over 20 with computers.
Buy a name brand with a warranty.
JAM