OT- Mercury/Mariner Outboard ?

Gentlemen:
After 22 years of faithful service, my Mariner 115HP (in-line 6) outboard needs some repair work other than PM.
Last weekend I launched the boat and fired up the OB, it wouldn't accelerate
above an idle. After spending the long weekend on the trailer rather than fishin' I brought it home and did some testing. Using the FSM, it appears I have a bad stator and/or trigger plate which are located under the flywheel on top of the engine.
The FSM indicates that a special puller and flywheel holder are required to pull the flywheel to gain access to the stator and trigger plate. Not having the special tools and being the cheap SOB that I am (not as cheap as Beekeep, mind you!), I want to try to pull the flywheel myself. Has anyone ever done this job without the special tools? If so, any tips or pointers anyone would care to offer.
I figger with as much expertise as this group has surely someone has attempted this before.
Mike

Mike,
The main thing to worry about is an even pull other wise the fly wheel is toast. 1/4" x 1-1/2" flat bar notched and weld it in the center, weld two 1/2" fine thread grade 8 nuts in the center top and bottom. At each end of the flat bar drill a hole and make to accept another piece of flat bar with a notch cut into it that slides over the fly wheel. Bolt every thing up tight use a grade 8 1/2" bolt put about 50 ft lbs of pressure on it and with a 5 lb hammer hit the nut end of the bolt apply more pressure and keep bumping it bolt heat it should pop also soak it good with PB penetrating oil.
Coasty
"Coasty" <uscg_ret at comcast dot net> wrote in message

Thanks Coasty, but the FSM states (paraphrasing) never use hammer blows or heat to remove flywheel... damage may occur to crankshaft or flywheel... this is in BIG BOLD TYPE..... it got my attention....
Mike

Mike, I think that means don't hit the flywheel with the bfh. Tapping the bolt I'd think would be okay. I wouln't be hitting the bolt with a 2 hander but light taps.......
Roy

Well, being that the only OB motor I have ever owned was two sticks called oars, I can't help you.
beekeep

Well technically, wouldn't that still be an inboard motor??
Denny
Denny wrote:

outboard
than