OT: Need Portable Generator Recommendation

Page 2 of 2
After reading replies I had to laugh... folks had you pouring slabs... electric start....electric sub panels etc.
I had a glancing blow and two back to back direct hits last year. after
first hit I went to a big box store and bought a portable electric welder which also was a generator providing a single dual 120vac outlet and a single 220vac outlet, 5500 watts surge, 4000 watt continuous. 125 amp stick welder....4 stroke gas Robins (subaru) power plant.
It did nicely for me....about same needs as you stated cept a side by side fridge/freezer combo.
a little less than 1gal/hr. the problem was gas.... couldnt be bought since after the first one to a couple weeks after third....the ole dodge pu truck was my gas station.
Made by Lincoln Electric... model is powerarc 5500. It weighs a little over 120 lbs if I recall and cost me $650 I think.
Henry

Forgot....9.0 HP recoil start...bought at home depot.
Henry

160 lbs dry
Henry

If you do not need electricity quick, or when you are gone, a portable is fine. I have installed NG power generators for many people with basements that would be flooded without backup power. A portable sucks if it is raining hard, or nobody is home. Also in here in tropical North Dakota, a few hours without heat and broken water pipes are a big problem. That portable genny will not save you if you are not home! Many times I hear comments of the cost to remodel the flooded lower level of a home. The ~$6000 to install a NG generator is small to these people. Eight years ago we had a nasty spring ice storm, then it got cold. Many areas were without electricity for 2-3 weeks. I know of some people that were not home, went south for a few weeks. The standby genny started and ran for the week or so the power was out! A portable would have done them no good.
Myself, I have a portable. 15 years in this home and never any water in the finished basement. For me it is more of a convenience thing. Living in the city we are rarely without power for more than an hour or so, and that has been rare. The last time we ran the genny we had just returned from a day at the lake. We were hungry and tired, and a storm had just come through and wiped out the power. so I drug out the portable so we could fire up the microwave! Greg
your correct... my bad for answering the posters question. READ the subject title and origional content !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Henry

Basement??? What's a basement :-)) Here along the TX Gulf coast the water table is 10 feet. Slab city. You dig a basement it either comes with a continuous duty sump pump or a free swimming pool built-in.
Wife is home all the time & we do not travel in inclement weather plus we have adult kids within 5 miles that could get over here if there was a serious issue. A portable w/pull start will do just fine.
We're not in a flood plain, even tropical storm Allison (June 2001) that dropped 36" on us in 2 days didn't flood -our- neighborhood, tho lots of others closer into town did. All T.S. Allison taught me was that I needed a bigger sat dish to address the rain fade. Put up a 40-inch (1 meter) dish and now we still watch when neighbor can't. By the way, total power outage in T.S. Allison for us was only 6 hrs. Many others were out for as long as a week.

Yes, you can use NG, LPG and Gasoline, but if the Gen set is supposed to support your household in an emergency, you must consider the reliability of the fuel supply, the expected run-time as well as noise. I would not consider any other fuel except diesel for efficiency reasons nor would I consider a 2 pole alternator (3600 rpm). The unit should be capable of running for at least 5 days without servicing. I consider these as a minimum. So, a silenced 10KW(or more), 4 pole (1800 rpm), manual switch over panel at the power entrance of the house and a 500 gallon heating fuel tank (2 weeks) would be the way to go. You should be able to do this for 5 - 8 K$, if you do the work yourself. You can have electric backup for less, but not without sacrificing dependability, efficiency, duration or economy. Steve