OT-Newsreaders

After reminding myself of the tremendous amount of . . . . . .uh, knowledge in this group, I decided it was best to ask those that won't fall out of their chairs laughing (well, won't fall too hard anyway)
over my question.
I'm subscribed to Teranews for a newserver, but I need to find a newsreader that is simple (duh!) and gets even the latest posts before they are a week old. Heck, even Google is faster than Xnews in that respect.
My cable internet provider doesn't have newsgroups so I'm doing this song and dance to get to the group to bug you all. Itried setting up Oulook Express, but it can't connect to Teranews directly.
Thanks!!!
Budd
What is happening when you try and connect to it with OE?
--
OE won't download more than one message at a time, IF (and a really big
IF at that) I get it to connect to Teranews at all. I had similar
"Budd Cochran" < snipped-for-privacy@preciscom.net> wrote in message
This is the first time I've ever used a reader not bundled with the browser,like Netscape or OE and the first time I didn't have an ISP with newsgroups. I know next to nothing when it comes to this stuff. . . .if that much.
I've already got all the help Precis has and it looks like Precis Communication "techs" are just cable installers that can hook up the modems. I need to get my user name changed for that reason. Their land line tech help is a gal that changes passwords and screen names and can walk you thru a re-connect after moving the computer . . .and that's about all.
Budd
This sounds more like you are dropping excessive packets than a problem with the reader. Free agent is a good reader but it may have the same problems. Since you are paying for this service, I would contact their help lines
first and make sure that is not an issue on their side or something not
configured properly on yours and if nothing their, I would contact your
cable company and have them send one of their competent techs out to check your system. I had a similar problem with both news groups and e-mail and it turned out to be a bad router somewhere in the cable companies system.

Try XNews. It's free and I have been using it for a couple of years and love it. Try here to start ...
http://www.slyck.com/xnews.php
Try XNews. It's free and I have been using it for a couple of years and love it. Try here to start ...
http://www.slyck.com/xnews.php
I have it already (see my last sentence in the reply you answerted) and I can't get any posts newer than a week old. I may have a configiuration wrong, but I don't know enough to set it correctly, evidently. That's why I was looking for something easier to run.
Budd

Learning to read is my next task in life <g>
I don't think the client would have anything to do with retention on the newgroup server would it ? I have giganews ( provided by my ISP ) and when I look at new groups, it goes back months and pulls down all the threads. I may just be a setting you have messed up.
Anywho, if you like the gui interface of O.E., have you given thunderbird a try ?
Learning to read is my next task in life <g>
Ah wood lak tuh larn tuh spel gud, me selph. <vbg>
I don't think the client would have anything to do with retention on the newgroup server would it ? I have giganews ( provided by my ISP ) and when I look at new groups, it goes back months and pulls down all the threads. I may just be a setting you have messed up.
Like I told T-bone, I ain't no corn-pooter axe-spurt. <LOL> I just need something I can install and forget about.
Anywho, if you like the gui interface of O.E., have you given thunderbird a try ?
I'll check it out. Thanks!
Budd

I really like Agent, Budd.. been using it for years..
Free Agent is also available and IS free... I upgraded to Agent a few years ago to get spell check and a few other things.. was a whole $30, I think..
http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php
It's easy to use and set up and I really like the way it keeps track of the groups that I "subscribe" to..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
I tried it and I guess I'm some kind of computer idiot because I could only get one post at a time.
Budd
I use the free Teranews and have had a lot of problems lately. It is almost unusable with Outlook Express .Seems they have changed their software.I started using Xnews and it works great. Also you can go to Google groups and get a lot of the newsgroups there, and its also free.
Ron
Ron,
Could I suggest you read the posts just a little bit more closely? Thank you.
I have Teranews and Xnews and I'm posting this from Google because the Xnews isn't working right.
snipped-for-privacy@preciscom.net says...

I have used Gravity for several years now, it was a commercial program that I paid for, but now it's free and has been updated so it does everything, including the dreaded "yenc" files. It's a little tricky to get all the settings right, but I keep going back to it, after trying just about all the free and a few of the ones you have to pay for.
You should be able to connect to any newserver with OE or any other program. OE is total crap as a newsreader, but it does.."work" for reading, but for downloading anything, it's a joke.
I use Giganews for my server.
Check Gravity out here..
You would want the full install..
http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/start1.html
BDK
Budd Cochran wrote:

Try Thunderbird. It has a bit of the OE look and feel to it, but it's much better. It's also free. I'm only using OE right now because I'm a creature of habit. I have both set up on my computer but purely out of habit, I clicked the OE icon.
--
Ken

Suddenly, without warning, Nosey exclaimed (08-Dec-05 8:25 PM):

T-bird isn't a news server, so it has nothing to do with how fast the posts come in. I haven't read the rest of this thread, but I imagine someone's recommended individual.net. If they have, I second that. If they haven't, I recommend it. Costs the equivalent of about $13, worth it.
Incidentally, I use individual.net and Thunderbird. T-bird isn't the best newsreader out there (Forte Agent is pretty good) but it isn't bad, and being free, it's good value :)
jmc
The main reason for the low/no cost newserver is purely financial . . .I haven't much, being on a fixed income.
I'll check T-bird out but I'm not a Ford fan ;)
Budd
Suddenly, without warning, Budd Cochran exclaimed (09-Dec-05 3:02 AM):

I understand (been there, done that, couldn't afford the tshirt), but that's $13 per YEAR. If you spend a good bit of time on newsgroups, might be worth the investment. If you're not on them every day, then perhaps not...
I tried to go the free newsserver route, the only one I ever liked was individual.net. When it went not-free I tried again, but most of the free servers either don't carry many groups, or won't let you post, so I ended up paying.
Good luck in your search. Let us know what you end up with.
jmc
Ok, this is being posted in reply by noisy chicken (A thunderbird nickname from back in the 60's in IN) and the date reads 12:18 AM for your post . . . .
But what day was it??
I'm getting most of the posts now, but usually they're a day or two late. I have a feeling it's because of the "free" newserver setup.
I may just keep the T-bird for when pics of Denny are posted but as for posting in the group . . .I don't know yet. T-bird is the best so far, and btw thanks to all for the advice.
Budd
jmc wrote:

Thanks, Ken. I'll check it out.
I guess habit is why I'm having trouble with Xnews.
Budd