OT-Our tow trucks are an endangered breed !!!

Page 2 of 2

good one

no problem -- worked with truckers out west, then the sewer crew i calgary i affectionally nicknamed the shit-disturbers which stuck <BFMFG> and married a mechanic, lived with an wreckers parts mgr. common-law, love real-men hands, drink beer, etc. you get the point rach
p.s. i had thought i had made a coment about eating the rabbits so they can't talk, skinning the fur and making a bunny outfit for feb 14 for the missus -- could keep the warm fury rabbits on the cheeks with pins until he sits on them <grn> -- heard of a recipe called pressed duck? remember a joke about scots and velcro to keep the sheep in the welly boots.. yes i can say that Easson is scottish and also 1/2 irish

But not original . . I stole it.

I know the type. I've been a heavy equipment mechanic, truck driver, sewage technician ( Roto Rooter and for a city but found both jobs just a little bit too crappy), Sergeant in a dump truck platoon, taxicab driver, janitor, small engine mechanic, instructor for the handicapped, carpenter, stonemason, millwright, physcal plant maintenance manager, artist and author.

Heck, you're not as confused as I am . . .Scottish, moved during an invasion by the Brits to Ireland, moved back after the invasion and have ancestry in both countries . . . .
We haven't quite figured out why Denny wears the bunny suit so much, but we're also not sure we want to know . . . .
Budd

cool -- but scotts do still have a distinct society, and both are known for their stubbornness, tempers (and drinking), and most scotts and irish are proud of these reputations! rach p.s. Denny collects bunnys -- all kinds ;-) a hobby sort of... gotta guess but sounds good anyway

As well as the Scotts being famous for their native engineeering skills and thrift.
Saw a Scottish friend once scraping off his wallpaper. I asked him if he was redecorating and he said he was moving.

half won't let him keep, I don't think, even if Mr. Hefner sent him a dozen for free.
Budd

so true -- lots of engineering in our family but i think i got the thrift side which is also very good

in 2002 i bought (now sold) a place with 27000 sq ft property in downtown hull needing gutting, tearing off attached outbuildings, roof repair, crawlspace and wall insulating, windows, siding, gutters, trenching and landfill, new stairs, plumbing, electrrical complete rewiring, joists in the bathroom, etc, etc -- 3 well packed 40 foot dumpsters later -- and a friend asked me if i was redecorating -- i replied that redecorating implies that at some point it was decorated!
scotts are also known for sexy legs ;-) -- the men anyway and bravery (irish too) i used to play a bit of bagpipes years ago

birthday, she replied with some thought, "someone to cook, clean -- lightbulb went on -- a wife!" dad said that would be ok with him too ;-)
oh well, maybe he can give her a bunny outfit for valentines <grn>

pants leg and have to wait for it come out the other. The one that stands it the longest wins.
beekeep

You sure that not Pennsylvanian?
Budd
beekeep wrote:

Nope. Gerbils. Thanks for the laugh Budd.
Bob
I can't take all the credit, Rachel and Greg got a couple good ones in also.
Glad to have made your day better.
Budd

I don't think it will become the "standard", but it's going to make a lot of designers start thinking "outside the truck"..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
I know you'll find this hard to believe, but last summer I saw a big ol' Goldwing with a old 8' Scamper camping trailer on back.
Yeah, it had CA plates on the trailer . . . . .I had to look. I guess they figured if it would hook to the ball, it could tow it. . . . . .Next year they're gonna put 5th wheel hitches on them????
If you've ever rode bikes, imagine that contraption in a crosswind . . . . . .
Budd

might keep it on the road... I've been on some high passes in cross winds where you're leaning over so far, you wonder if you'll fall over if the wind stops..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Yep, BTDT. I had a 66 Honda CB-160 back when I hardly cast a shadow that I rode down to a barbershop in a small town in IN about every week (he still charged only $0.75 / haircut) and cross winds could make the pegs kiss the pavement at times. It was a good thing that bike was such a good handling machine or I could have been on my but many a time.
Budd

dream machine. My first bike was the CB-350.
beekeep

mint bike now goes for around $12K. Mine was far from mint.
The next year they re-worked the head design, fired the cylinders like a Triumph (180 crank pins. The 160 had a 360 degree crank, the pistons moved together, and fired the cylinders alternately . . .very smooth). It came in the sport (CB) and trail (CT) styles, but the engine was too peaky)
The 305 Dream and Super Sport came out in 65, iirc.
My last Honda was a 72 CB-450. A good bike, but I decided to fulfill the dream of owning a Cushman so I sold it.
Budd

Interesting concept. It could work in fair weather areas as long as the car can drive up onto the carrier as it did in the demo. Oh, the car can drive? I didn't see a winch at work, did I miss something?
FMB
As I understood the video, they use 12 V battery powered hydraulics to lift the wheels so a hydraulic motor could run a winch.
IIRC, there are very few tow trucks that use mechanical winches these days anyways, so the technology is available.
Budd