OT: ping: Tbone

Hey T... You asked about more turning stuff on my site and I thought this might interest you:

It's a set of pictures of an oversize 7 weight bowl being turned..

Not quite finished with the text, but all the pictures are up.. Mac

mac davis

Bro, I'm impressed. That's some pretty cool stuff your doing there.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Mac, looking good. Looking real good.

FMB

Reply to
FMB

Very impressive dude. I was looking at some of the lathes in the grizzly catalog. What do you think of them? BTW, the first picture made me laugh with the ash tray on the lathe. I was looking for the fire extinguisher

Reply to
TBone

Mac, you got some really nice wood there......... That sounds kinda gay don't it....

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Um, yeah, even for a furbutt.

FMB

Reply to
FMB

Ahhhh, I think we may have a problem here.

.... That sounds kinda gay

Yup, it sure does. Is there something you'd like to tell us?

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Thank you, sir... It's been a pretty intense learning curve these last 2 years... Mac

mac davis

yeah.. I tell visitors that they'll get wood here, even if they don't at home..

*eg*

Mac

mac davis

How do YOU know, did you move the steel butt plate? *g* Mac

mac davis

So, how *do* you know that you shouldn't start a bowl spinning before the CA is set? ;^)

Reply to
Nosey

Well, it's a DAMHIK item, Ken, but for you...

I had a big bowl on the lathe and used thick, slow drying CA on all the cracks.. forgot or didn't know about CA accelerator... Started the lathe and tried to rough sand the bowl and it not only threw CA all over me and the lathe but started smoking when I hit it with the sandpaper and might of caught fire and made napalm if I kept going..

Mac

mac davis

Haha, huhh..huh. I've done things like that myself. I'm remodeling my house and I finished laying tile in the second bathroom yesterday. After all that time working with the tile saw I just learned why it's a good idea to keep the blade guard set down very low. A wet saw with a high guard makes a clay speckled operator.

Reply to
Nosey

WooHoo!! Mac is making hash bowls!

Reply to
azwiley1

Yeah, you should see his spindle :))

Reply to
Dale Yonz

Educate me, larry... long time since my druggie days... Watz a hash bowl?

I experimented with drugs, but I didn't exhale.. Mac

mac davis

wow.. and I was thinking that "head stock" was kinky... Mac

mac davis

I looked at the 462 on the web... That's a lot of features for the money and is almost too good to be true... (Griz makes good saws but I tend to ignore their lathes)

The larger of my 2 Jet lathes is only 1 hp with 14" swing and not digital... and with VRS and legs was about $900... so either Jet costs WAY too much for what you get or something is missing on the Grizzly..

Could be weight or precision, not really sure, but I'd ask the group at rec.crafts.woodturning before I bought one..

I went from 10" swing to 14" because 12" didn't seem like a big enough step up and the 16" were all over $1,500.... I almost bought the 14" Delta but the reviews of it sucked and the Jet 1442 VS good real good reviews...

Mac

mac davis

Mostly that the folks in the wRECk talk about Griz saws and other tools, but there is very little said about griz in the woodturning ng... Lots on Jet and Delta, and powermatic and stubby for those with the budget, but probably more mention of Crapman lathes that griz..

Could be a peak rating, I've never looked into that... mine might be, too.. The Jet mini is a great lathe for most folks at a little over $200, but a lot less capacity and power than the one you're looking at.. I think it has a 1/4 hp? I still use mine a lot.. great lathe..

that's like saying that you don't think the folks here would know much about a new Dodge.. *g*

Check the reviews.. Amazon sells a ton of grizzly stuff.... when I bought the riser kit for my band saw from them, it was shipped FROM griz..

Depending on what you want to do, the tools can be a lot of bucks.. A decent set of chisels for $30 to $100 is all you "really" need...

The chuck on my mini was $190... almost the price of the lathe.. *g*

I just spent another $200 or so building a vacuum chuck system and I don't even want to know how much I've spent on chisels, sanders, oils, buffing systems, etc. in the last year or so, but probably more than I'll make this year selling bowls..

Mac

mac davis