OT Poll!!!! Who wins???

Well, I'm no expert, Ed, but it seems to me that everyone's vote should count the same, wherever they live..

AFAIK, cities are the deciding voting base now because of population density, so I'm not sure it would be any different with a popular vote..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Hey, and we can have the meetings at the White Castle. Where's my hossenfeffer!?

Bob

Reply to
Bob M

Ahhh... but if I were King, we'd meet here in Baja and party at the cantina for

2 bucks a beer and free chips & salsa..

BTW: Most of the beer here is 4.5%

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Theres a reason why neither Dem nor Rep leaders will combat illegal immigration despite the overwhelming public demand that they do. The public wants enforcement first. Politicians do not. You've told me why the Reps don't but the Dems do not as well and it has nothing to do with compassion which illegals do not deserve anyways.

Reply to
miles

If we had a pure democracy then 5 states would control 75% of the vote. Luckily we have an electoral that gives the other states a voice.

Reply to
miles

Again Miles, you didn't answer the question. What exactly do you mean by 'combat'? Are you talking about primarily securing the borders and stopping the inflow or also attempting to locate all the ones already here and toss them out as well?

LOL, the term 'enforcement' can also mean many different thing to many different people so while I agree with your words, me and everyone else that agrees with your words could all be talking about very different things. Politicians also have to deal with the fallout that will come from doing this regardless of what is actually done.

Who made you God where you can make the claim as to who does and doesn't deserve compassion and unless you are now a hard left democrat, how do you know exactly what their motivation is? My wife is about as far left as you are right (it that's possible) and her only real issue with hunting them down and kicking them out is breaking up families so I would say that compassion is a primary reason the dems don't do it. I doubt that it is the only one but probably #1 on the list.

Reply to
TBone

I pretty much did state what I meant. I said ENFORCEMENT first. We have laws. Enforce them.

Not really. The majority do NOT want amnesty nor the BS that Bush or the Dems say is not amnesty (It is).

Yep, and thats why the refuse to enforce the laws. They pander to illegals.

lol, you're just about as far left as they come despite your claims! Families are not forced to be broken up. Anyone can go to Mexico and stay together. Making this an excuse to pander to them is exactly why they keep coming. They know people like you will never enforce the law and they have a nice comfy place where people pander to their illegal status.

Reply to
miles

You really should be a politician Miles as you also never give a straight answer. Are you talking about prevention or prevention and exportation and if you are talking exportation, how exactly are you going to do it and with what money?

LOL, how would you know? You are far from the majority on most issues.

No, they like keeping their jobs.

Once again, your extreme right bias does the talking as demonstrated by your selection for a presidential candidate. the fact that he did so poorly shows how far out of the majority and to the right of even your party that you are.

If it were so great in Mexico, why did they come here.

LOL, what planet did you come from. They keep coming because their standard of living is worse than our homeless and we don't do a good job of stopping them.

Sorry Miles, but once again you don't know WTF you are talking about. I have said more than once that I have no problem sending them on their way and properly closing down the borders. It's people like you that say one thing and do the complete opposite because you know that if it really happens, that wealth will wind up getting redistributed from the rich to the middle class and poor because American workers will not do those jobs for the poverty wages that the illegals will do it for.

Reply to
TBone

Suddenly, without warning, TBone exclaimed (2/9/2008 2:46 PM):

I suspect this may be the base of the problem. Comes down to business controlling our gov't again. If we got illegal immigration under control and removed those that are here illegally, the businesses that rely on these immigrants would 1)have problems finding employees 2) have to pay them a fair wage. They of course don't want to do either, but use #1 as an excuse. I've seen that: "we'll go out of business if you take the illegals away". Wah. Shouldn't have gotten yourself in that fix in the first place.

And if Americans will no longer do those jobs, we have only ourselves to blame. When I was young, I worked in fast food. For years, until I got out of college. And worked as a janitor, not to mention other "menial", low paying, jobs. So did all my classmates. Now, it's all immigrants that fill those jobs (in parts of Northern VA, you practically have to speak Spanish to order fast food), because our kids no longer are willing to do such "menial" jobs. Damn, what have we (well not me I've no kids) been teaching these kids, anyway?

I like Australia's system. If you want to emigrate here, you have to prove you have a useful skill, that Australia needs/wants. If you try to sneak in (attempted illegal immigration is by boat and plane here, for obvious reasons) and you get caught, you're out within 24 hours, usually on the next plane.

Even if your paperwork is all right, if they suspect for any reason you're here to work rather than be a tourist: next plane to where you came from. Period.

They regularly course businesses that historically hire illegal immigrants too, check their passports, and take them *right then* and send them on a plane home if they're illegal.

I understand about "tired, poor, huddled masses" but think, sadly, that things are out of control, and we really need to do things like the Aussies do.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

What part of 'LAWS' with regards to illegals to you just not get? I stated we should not pander or give ANYTHING to illegals. I said ENFORCEMENT first. Get rid of the incentives for them to be here and to illegally enter and they will go. Enforce laws such as AZ is doing where business can be shut down if they knowingly hire illegals. Stop the hand outs at tax payer expense to support these illegals.

Being against your far left ways does not equate to far from majority. On this issue its pretty clear people do not want amnesty and pandering to illegals.

Thompson had a lousy campaign. He didn't get his voice out there as the rest of them. It wasn't his policies. McCains policies are far worse and he was billed to be almost at collapse a few months ago because of his out of touch policies. Yet, today he's the front runner.

See TBone, you've never really traveled around Mexico and are clueless aren't you? Mexico is not the run down poor trashy country without jobs as so many like yourself tend to believe. The Mexicans that come here to the USA are far different than the mainstream of Mexico. Those that come here illegally are mostly uneducated, unwanted by the Mexican society. So yes, they come here because they can find free handouts and people like yourself that will support them.

There are jobs in Mexico for those that want to work for them without the aid of social hand outs. You really have no clue as to what Mexico is like. I travel there often and have family who live and work in Mexico. They are doing quite well.

Reply to
miles

Great, except you keep supporting politicians that want amnesty and blast those that want enforcement first.

Day laborers here make about $15/hour and rising as the illegals have formed a sort of union that is driving their wages rapidly higher each year. Hardly poverty wages for entry level no skilled jobs.

Reply to
miles

I would only add that we also protect our southern border the way Mexico protects theirs.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Miles,

I know some people that are thinking about wintering in Mexico during retirement. Do you know about access to quality medical facilities/treatment there?

Thanks,

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

I try to stay out of the Miles -Tbone love fest but the above is a very good point.

Please continue gentlemen.

Reply to
Roy

Ken, Mac moved there not that long ago and seems to really enjoy it.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Yup.. lots of really nice trucks and SUV's running around this area, and a lot of homes that are bigger and nicer than ours..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I'm not Miles, but I live in Baja California, MX.. We pay $325 a month for excellent health insurance.. it even includes chopper medivac if needed... It would be cheaper if I wasn't an old fart.. they go by age.. Mine is a little over $200 of that because I'm 12 years older than my wife..

Our local doctor is excellent and the hospitals in Mexicali are top notch..

Several folks down here prefer the care here to the States, even though they have coverage in the States..

Now, that's Baja.. I can't speak for mainland MX, but you would think that anywhere around a big city would have excellent health care..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I see lots of the illegal Mexicans in the prison I work in...and I'm in Michigan.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Yep! We should also adopt Mexico's immigration laws and employment laws for immigrants.

Reply to
miles

It depends on where you go. Major hospitals in Mexico have highly skilled Dr's every bit as good as in the USA. Most major cities have decent health services. You may feel more comfortable in areas with large numbers of American retirees such as San Carlos, Ensenada etc.

Reply to
miles