OT Poll!!!! Who wins???

Page 3 of 5  
TBone wrote:


TBone, why don't you travel to Mexico so you fully understand and appreciate the Mexican culture and economy. Most Mexicans do have money. But there is a lack of things to buy. My relatives come up here every 3 months to shop. They go to the local mall where they can buy top notch clothes etc. They leave with armfull's of bags and head back to Mexico. You're attempting to argue about a country, culture and economy you know absolutely nothing about.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Hahahahahahahahahahaha, you really are funny miles. What do you think that the reason for that is? Perhaps because there simply not enough demand for all of these things because people there just don't have the money for them.

The one that seems to know absolutely nothing is you. What you just said make no economic sense at all. If this were true, then why doesn't someone import that stuff down there. If the demand is so high and there is no supply, the one supplying it could pretty much name their own price and get it or at least get the same price as here in the States. The reason that it doesn't happen is because many simply don't have the money that you think that they do and the few that do don't create enough of a demand to make it worth the trouble or expense to do it.
--
If at first you don't succeed, you're not cut out for skydiving



Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
TBone wrote:

Oh really now? My sister in law travels to the USA every few months. Stops in at Walmart and buys small appliances, clothes etc. Then returns to Mexico to sell at the local swap meet at prices 50-100% over cost. Everything sells with ease. Go to Mexico TBone. Your attempt to argue about a country you are clueless about is getting to the point of absurdity.

You keep attempting to apply how things work in the USA to that of Mexico which is a vastly different culture and economy. American companies can't easily open up in Mexico for sales to Mexicans. Mexico is to an extent a 3rd world nation. That does not mean the people are mostly poor. It's a concept that eludes you.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Again Miles, if the demand is so high, then why don't some Mexicans open up some stors and import this stuff. Are they all idiots or is it that there is a small demand from a few rich and the gringo's that are to lazy or to busy to travel to America to get this stuff? I am thinking the latter and the small amount that she transports in her car hardly indicates a huge demand.

LOL, and what exactly is your definition of a third world nation???? Go and look it up. Who said anything about American companies open up in Mexica and thanks to NAFTA, it is much easier now than it used to be. Actually, it was NAFTA and Clinton that has Mexico's economy doing as well as it is and prior to NAFTA, Mexico was in trouble a few times.
--
If at first you don't succeed, you're not cut out for skydiving



Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
TBone wrote:

You simply have no comprehension of the infrastructure and culture in Mexico. It's vastly different. It's not the USA. Monopolies are allowed. Government often takes over anything thats successful. But feel free to keep arguing about a culture, economy, and country that is so vastly different than the USA that you know zilch about!

No TBone. NAFTA does not have anything to do with American companies owning a business in Mexico to sell in Mexico. What does the T in NAFTA stand for TBone?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The more you say, the less you seem to know about it yourself. Who said anything about American companies doing anything. If the Mexicans are as well off as you say, then what is stopping them from importing this stuff and setting up stores. According to Mac, HD has set up a few stores so what is stopping them from setting up more? Free trade is just that.

It stands for trade Miles, and that trade and money it creates opens many doors.
--
If at first you don't succeed, you're not cut out for skydiving



Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
TBone wrote:

Free trade is just that. Importing and exporting products. That has nothing to do with opening up a business in Mexico. An American can't easily open a business in Mexico. Generally American based companies in Mexico are done so through a Mexican owned and operated franchise.

TRADE. It has nothing to do with ability of an American company to open up a store in Mexico. They can't. They can sell a franchise license to a Mexican national and that Mexican can open up a store. NAFTA did not do a thing to alter that policy. It is for trade, not business operation.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yes Miles, bought, paid for, and ran by the American company. The point Miles, is that because of this free trade, American goods can easily be shipped down to Mexico to be sold by Mexican owned companies and if the mass population could afford them, that's exactly what would happen.

Thank you for once again making my point for me. If the people there have so much money, then that would already be happening and your sister in law would not be going to the states to get this merchandise to sell to the gringo's at the market. The reason that she does is that there simply isn't a market for it of any large scale.

LOL, NAFTA made it easy and inexpensive to move American goods to Mexico, regardless of who actually sells it. The reason that is isn't happening is that the people there simply can't afford it.
--
If at first you don't succeed, you're not cut out for skydiving



Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
TBone wrote:

Oh ya? Read up on Carlos Slim. He is one of the major American franchise owners. The American companies don't get the lions share of profit. He does.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

LOL, you really don't have a clue. What those Mexican franchises make is a drop in the bucket compared to what these American companies save in production costs which turns into pure profits here in the US and anywhere else they sell the finished products. And by what you said, I see that the free enterprise system is alive and well in Mexico as well. Carlos Slim keeps the money and his workers get the shaft.
--
If at first you don't succeed, you're not cut out for skydiving



Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Right.. climate, location and getting away from gringos had nothing to do with it.. Might be even lower cost of living in Siberia..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Ahh... that answered my earlier question, Miles.. We're on the other side of Baja, on the Sea of Cortez/Gulf of California, about 130 miles or so east of Ensenada, which is on the Pacific Ocean....
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
mac davis wrote:

I live in AZ and travel to Puerto Penasco now and then. It's a 3 1/2 hour drive from Phoenix and directly across the water from San Felipe. When I was last in San Felipe it reminded me of how Puerto Penasco was about 20 years ago. Today most of Puerto Penascos beaches are oblitereated with huge resort style hotels. Just not the same.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

We've never been to Puerto Penasco but have heard a lot about it.. I guess at one time there were several ferry routes and one was from San Felipe to Puerto Penasco... They say that on a really clear night you can see the lights of Puerto Penasco from here but I've never seen them..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

I'm not Miles, but I live in Baja California, MX.. We pay $325 a month for excellent health insurance.. it even includes chopper medivac if needed... It would be cheaper if I wasn't an old fart.. they go by age.. Mine is a little over $200 of that because I'm 12 years older than my wife..
Our local doctor is excellent and the hospitals in Mexicali are top notch..
Several folks down here prefer the care here to the States, even though they have coverage in the States..
Now, that's Baja.. I can't speak for mainland MX, but you would think that anywhere around a big city would have excellent health care..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
mac davis wrote:

Where about in Baja? My folks are in Baja Mar if you know where that is. Also have a sister who has a beach home in La Mision.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Baja Mar as in town or development?
We're at El Dorado Ranch, near San Felipe... about 120 miles south of Calexico/Yuma... There is a big development called Baja Mar, also a hotel and steak house called that.. The whole(2) state(s) are called Baja (below?) and has Mar (beach/sea) on 2 sides..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
mac davis wrote:

Baja Mar is a large development, gated community and golf course about 10 miles north of Ensenada.

I've been to San Felipe several years ago. We stayed at an RV park I think named El Dorado about 8 miles or so north of San Felipe. I loved the area, deserted beaches were fantastic and the people in town very nice. The RV park was awful with a bit of a walk to the beach and bad sewer smell.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Well, the GOOD news is that El Dorado RV park was greatly improved and became the premier RV park in Baja..
The really BAD news is that about 2 years ago, the closed it and built condos there.. *sigh*
The pool, cantina and such are still there and are the rec area for our development..
We're about 2 miles north of the old RV park and 3 miles west.. 5 miles north of San Felipe..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

And why do you think that it is so cheep. Here's a guess. Perhaps because even at that low rate, most of the citizens of that country can't afford it. You really need to take a ride into the country and see what it is like all over, not just in your little American retirement area. And I'm not talking about just the big cities either.

I'm sure that they are as they are primarily dealing with the rich Americans that have moved down there and yes Mac, compared to the income of many Mexicans, you are one of the rich ones.

Again, I'm sure that they do as the the number of people being treated to the number of doctors treating them is MUCH lower and these doctors are trying to build business.

You might think that but even here in the US, that is not always true. If the demand goes up, the quality of care almost always goes down as the staff is simply not able to give as much attention to the individuals and there the demand in many areas is low because many there just can't afford it, much like here with the higher levels of care.
--
If at first you don't succeed, you're not cut out for skydiving



Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.