OT Poll!!!! Who wins???

I live in AZ and travel to Puerto Penasco now and then. It's a 3 1/2 hour drive from Phoenix and directly across the water from San Felipe. When I was last in San Felipe it reminded me of how Puerto Penasco was about 20 years ago. Today most of Puerto Penascos beaches are oblitereated with huge resort style hotels. Just not the same.

Reply to
miles

We've never been to Puerto Penasco but have heard a lot about it.. I guess at one time there were several ferry routes and one was from San Felipe to Puerto Penasco... They say that on a really clear night you can see the lights of Puerto Penasco from here but I've never seen them..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Well, the GOOD news is that El Dorado RV park was greatly improved and became the premier RV park in Baja..

The really BAD news is that about 2 years ago, the closed it and built condos there.. *sigh*

The pool, cantina and such are still there and are the rec area for our development..

We're about 2 miles north of the old RV park and 3 miles west.. 5 miles north of San Felipe..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Yawn, when are you going to get out from behind that entry level crap that you like to hide behind. Entry level has nothing to do with it nor does no skill. Since you claim to have been in the industry, you should know that most of the time this is back breaking work and does require some skill and ability to do it well and $15/ an hour is hardly a stunning wage for the work done and the conditions it is being done in. Tell me Miles, could you support your home for this wage?

Reply to
TBone

Sorry Miles, but reality doesn't match what you say. If it were so great and free health care (according to Mac), then why would they come here or flood southern Cal for medical care. Why would they be willing to work so hard for so little money? I'm sure that there are plenty of nice places in Mexico and I never said that the whole country is a slum or a disaster but the poor there are really poor and are willing to do just about anything to live better, including abandoning their country to come here where it is becoming more than obvious that they are not wanted.

Reply to
TBone

You are shooting yourself in the foot Miles. How exactly does money go farther there? If people have money, then they tend to spend it and consumption goes up. Supply and demand dictates that if demand goes up, supply goes down and prices go up. The laws of economics do not support you here.

Reply to
TBone

It also depends on the elasticity of supply and demand.

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Most of the day labors ARE UNSKILLED. Their jobs include pulling weeds, raking, using a leaf blower etc. $15/hr is darn good for such an entry level job.

Here we go again with your crap that any job should pay for a nice house, cars, and anything else a person wants. Sorry TBone, thats a liberal ideology that peoples wages should be based on their needs. I worked for many years staring at $2.95/hr (minimum wage at the time). Actually, about $1/hr as a teen mowing lawns prior to that. Should I have been able to buy a house and car during those years? Hell no. Only in a liberal mind.

Reply to
Miles

You have no clue TBone. You have no idea whom comes here and who stays in Mexico.

The poor in Mexico aren't much worse and sometimes better than the poor here. It's quite common to see a ramble shack of a home with dirt floor and a sheet for a doorway. Outside is parked a brand new truck. Different priorities there.

Reply to
Miles

TBone, why don't you travel to Mexico so you fully understand and appreciate the Mexican culture and economy. Most Mexicans do have money. But there is a lack of things to buy. My relatives come up here every 3 months to shop. They go to the local mall where they can buy top notch clothes etc. They leave with armfull's of bags and head back to Mexico. You're attempting to argue about a country, culture and economy you know absolutely nothing about.

Reply to
Miles

But according to you, for the most part we have already done that and yet, still they come.

Well, if that is the case then what's the problem with McCains plans. If they are leaving anyway, then all that needs to be done is secure the borders and let them leave.

LOL, yea, sure. Most of them are employed by small businesses pinhead. And the large ones that do hire a few are not going to waste millions of dollars joining a no win legal contest. What would be the point? They would lose many times the money that they saved hiring them to begin with not to mention drawing attention to themselves while basically saying to the world that they have been screwing American citizens all along with illegal hiring. And then when these cases fall apart, the INS and labor board will be making their first stops to these specific companies. I have to say Miles, sometimes I really wonder about you.

Why do you think that is Miles? Perhaps because they couldn't raise the money that the other did. And why do you think that is? Perhaps because their ideas were not really what the general part public wanted to hear.

I never said that I was a huge McCain fan but he is not way to the right and being way to the right is a massive negative right now. I do find it funny how the right has redefined intelligence as flip-flopping.

That's because unlike you, I am not far anything. Sure, I do lean to the left but unlike you, I have voted for many republicans, including Regan and Bush Sr. I also don't blame the right for all of the problems of the world. You OTOH, blame the Dems and Clinton for all of the problems of the world so who is the one who is biased. Now I know that you will once again attempt to say differently by asking my opinion of our current president. But the simple fact is that he is an idiot and with an approval rating as low as it is, I'm not the only one that thinks so. You once again OTOH, defend him on most points due to your extreme right bias.

No, just an independent that sees the big picture and as much of an idiot that I see the current president as being, he has little to do with the disaster that our ecomony is turning into. We have nobody to blame for that but ourselves.

Probably because they provide no benefit for your business but tend to hurt your brothers.

Really, please explain.

More of that extreme right wing bias. Face it Miles, the real reason that you hate him is because he did everything that the right said would put us into a full blown depression and instead, the country went thru a period of prosperity that it had never seen before or since.

Filled with them huh, lets see some figures.

Then I ask again Miles, if that's the case then why are so many of them here and why have they almost taken over the construction industry in the south. When I see houses being built now, most of the workers are Mexicans. Hell, even many of the plummers and electricians are using Mexican helpers.

And the ones that are poor have nothing.

But if Americans cannot own land or take jobs in Mexico how does your family do it and how does your brother make any money?

And how much money did your brother go over there with and how is he making any more. Did he give up his American citizenship or is he working illegally?

Then how does your brother and sister doing it????? I would suspect that just like here, $$$$ lowers many hoops.

LOL, if that were the case, then why have so many American companies moved production over there? If things cost the same and everybody can afford them, then they must make near the same salary as American workers, right?

LOL, most in THIS COUNTRY don't have that. Wake up Miles and pull your head out of your butt.

Reply to
TBone

LOL, I really doubt this Miles and if that were the case, why would they need to hire illegals. You could get many American workers to do that type of work for that money. Many of the people that I know that work at the HD or Lowe's make less than that.

Who said anything like that Miles. There is a big difference between buying a nice house, cars, and anything that someone wants and being able to have a reasonable place to live (small apartment) and put food on the table.

How is that possible if you worked in your family construction business?

There is a big difference between a kid making pocket money and an adult trying to earn a living. Now if you were dumb enough to work for so little, then that is your problem.

Reply to
TBone

And you have once again completely failed to answer the question.

LOL, yea, sure.

What are or country are you talking about?

Reply to
TBone

Hahahahahahahahahahaha, you really are funny miles. What do you think that the reason for that is? Perhaps because there simply not enough demand for all of these things because people there just don't have the money for them.

The one that seems to know absolutely nothing is you. What you just said make no economic sense at all. If this were true, then why doesn't someone import that stuff down there. If the demand is so high and there is no supply, the one supplying it could pretty much name their own price and get it or at least get the same price as here in the States. The reason that it doesn't happen is because many simply don't have the money that you think that they do and the few that do don't create enough of a demand to make it worth the trouble or expense to do it.

Reply to
TBone

I've never said anything of the sort. Contrary to many, illegals can easily get free hand outs and are pandered too. I did say that here in AZ they passed late last year a new law allowing businesses to be fined or shut down if they knowingly hire illegals. The law has not yet been enforced as many businesses were awaiting an appeal. That appeal failed last week. However, when the law was passed scores of illegals have left AZ for either other states or back to Mexico.

McCain doesn't want to secure the borders. He wants to give the illegals amnesty which allows them to stay, work and pretty much keep things the way they have been. We tried the amnesty route in the 80's. How'd that go? Oh ya, it gave incentive for millions more to come and led to where we are today. Yet, politicians seem bent on doing it one more time.

Wrong. Most are employed by large scale construction and farming companies. Small businesses don't have the jobs they do on a large enough scale to employ 11 million of them.

Oh really now? There are already laws on the books making it illegal to hire illegals. The INS doesn't do diddly. A miniscule handful of companies have been prosecuted but its a rarity. The illegals are simply bussed to the border and released only to come back the next day.

AZ is a bit different at least in Maricopa County. Illegals are tried and incarcerated for their illegal immigration. However, it's the sheriffs dept. that is doing that. They get no help from INS or ICE who have publicly stated they would not.

Hmm...you seem to say that for those that are far right conservative. What about the far left liberals? Such as Kerry and Edwards? Your story changes when its a far lefty and doesn't hold up.

So is being way to far to the left but you're ok with that and do not equal your rants towards the far left as you do the right.

LOL!!! Yes TBone, you are far from anything!

Sure, I do lean to the

Hmm, you know whom I have voted for? Our current Gov. is a Democrat. Our prior 3 were republicans and were horrible). Do you know who I voted for?

You've been blaming the right for pretty much everything wrong since I've been on this NG.

LOL, no Tom, thats your liberal bandwagon assumption. I do not blame Clinton for anything except his own arrogance. I also do not credit him for much as you do.

No Tom, thats your biased liberal bandwagon talking there! I don't and have never liked Bush Jr, or Bush Sr. The difference is I take on particular issues, some I disagree with and some I agree with. You on the other hand just hate for the sake of hating.

Oh? My family is in the construction industry. That industry uses the illegal immigrant workforce considerably. Your argument about greedy corporations is based on pure biased hatred rather than anything constructive of meaning.

TBone, go look at McCain's senate voting record. I can't believe how many people will go to the polls without a clue about whom they are voting other than what they hear during the campaign. McCain has never been a moderate, until the past 8 years when he started running for the WH. His senate record and ideologies can be best equated with Goldwater. Was he a moderate too? Too funny.

look up Californians Justice Dept. report from 2006. 20% of those incarcerated were illegal immigrants. What % of Californias population are illegal immigrants? 20%?

As I said TBone, you have no comprehension of the Mexican culture and economy and just what part of the Mexican society is coming to the USA.

That would be wrong. Go there TBone instead of continuing to argue about something you have no knowledge of. Although that is your style.

You own trusts that are owned by the Mexican bank. The land belongs to the trust. It's legal and upholds in Mexican court but the deed is never in an Americans name. My folks are retired. My brother lives only part of the year in Mexico but does not work there. His in laws however do live and work there. They are Mexican and can legally do so. The USA should adopt the same laws Mexico has for Americans (or other nationalities).

They do not work in Mexico. Americans can't work in Mexico except under extreme circumstances.

Lack of expensive laws that control how a business is run. Some good, some bad but the end result is far lower operating costs including labor costs. Again, housing is cheaper in Mexico but most other expenses are not. Food, utilities and gas is about the same as it is in the USA.

Sigh, TBone why do you keep attempting to argue about Mexico when you have never even been there? Stop in a grocery store in Mexico and check out the prices. They are not cheaper and sometimes higher than here. You just don't get it because you try to assume Mexican culture and economy is the same as here. It's not. Different priorities.

Most in this country do have a home, a car and food on the table. Geez. The poor in the USA would be considered rich in many other countries.

Reply to
Miles

Because legal workers also must be paid numerous other employer funded expenses. Illegals just get the $15 and their employer pays only $15.

WTF are you trying to argue? I worked several small jobs in younger years at $2.95/hr including construction. Whats your point? I never demanded that my first jobs should afford me my own place, cars and food. Only liberals do that.

Its also a big difference between a young adult starting out learning and one working a career.

It's called working your way up through hard work and not demanding more than your work is worth. I was paid an unskilled wage for an unskilled job. It was hard work but well worth it. You feel the Walmart door greet who sits and waves and says hi should earn enough to have an apartment, car, food and support their family. I do not. Thats not what that job is intended to accomplish.

Reply to
Miles

Thats Mexico TBone. That is the difference in cultures and very much a reality in Mexico to see that. Thats how they can pay similar prices for food, utilities, gas etc. than we do here. They forgo much of a home even though housing is much cheaper there. Instead they buy a shiny new truck. Very different priorities in their culture. You won't believe it nor understand it until you go there.

Reply to
Miles

Oh really now? My sister in law travels to the USA every few months. Stops in at Walmart and buys small appliances, clothes etc. Then returns to Mexico to sell at the local swap meet at prices 50-100% over cost. Everything sells with ease. Go to Mexico TBone. Your attempt to argue about a country you are clueless about is getting to the point of absurdity.

You keep attempting to apply how things work in the USA to that of Mexico which is a vastly different culture and economy. American companies can't easily open up in Mexico for sales to Mexicans. Mexico is to an extent a 3rd world nation. That does not mean the people are mostly poor. It's a concept that eludes you.

Reply to
Miles

Again Miles, if the demand is so high, then why don't some Mexicans open up some stors and import this stuff. Are they all idiots or is it that there is a small demand from a few rich and the gringo's that are to lazy or to busy to travel to America to get this stuff? I am thinking the latter and the small amount that she transports in her car hardly indicates a huge demand.

LOL, and what exactly is your definition of a third world nation???? Go and look it up. Who said anything about American companies open up in Mexica and thanks to NAFTA, it is much easier now than it used to be. Actually, it was NAFTA and Clinton that has Mexico's economy doing as well as it is and prior to NAFTA, Mexico was in trouble a few times.

Reply to
TBone

You simply have no comprehension of the infrastructure and culture in Mexico. It's vastly different. It's not the USA. Monopolies are allowed. Government often takes over anything thats successful. But feel free to keep arguing about a culture, economy, and country that is so vastly different than the USA that you know zilch about!

No TBone. NAFTA does not have anything to do with American companies owning a business in Mexico to sell in Mexico. What does the T in NAFTA stand for TBone?

Reply to
Miles