----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2006 4:26 PM Subject: Responding to your message.
Thank you for contacting me regarding the protection of human life. I appreciate hearing from you and having the benefit of your views.
Since the Roe v. Wade decision over 30 years ago, abortion has been one of our country's most important moral issues as it relates to the most fundamental human right - the right to life. I am proud to say that during my time in the House of Representatives and in the Senate, I have maintained a very strong pro-life voting record. I have sponsored and cosponsored numerous pieces of legislation that defend the sanctity of human life. During the 109th Congress, I am looking forward to leading my colleagues in passing legislation that remains consistent with those values.
The recent confirmations of Chief Justice John Roberts and Associate Justice Samuel A. Alito, Jr. to the Supreme Court of the United States mark a pivotal point in our highest court's history as several issues related to abortion are anticipated to come before the court for consideration. While we do not know with certainty how the Court will rule on many of these matters, there is optimism among pro-life supporters about further review of some of these important issues.
Building a culture of life in our society will also require efforts that reach beyond the courts. Through participation in rallies, demonstrations, and marches; being a continual voice in society; and most importantly, individually caring for women with unplanned pregnancies pro-life advocates are instrumental in furthering this culture. I am always encouraged when I see examples of this action throughout the country, and I am even more excited to see that our young people are helping to fight for this cause as well. While we have seen some successes, restoring respect for all human life will require patience and perseverance, which exemplifies why it is so heartening to see our children share these values, as they will soon be the new champions of this issue.
I will continue to advocate for life in Congress. You may be interested to know that I was a proud cosponsor of S. 403, the Child Custody Protection Act, introduced by Senator John Ensign of Nevada. This legislation would prohibit individuals from taking minors across state lines for abortions in order to circumvent state parental involvement laws. Individuals who knowingly take a young girl to another state for an abortion which would be illegal in the minor's state of residence would be subject to criminal penalties including a fine and/or imprisonment. The bill would also give parents of the minor the right to sue violators of the act.
You may be pleased to know that S. 403 passed the Senate with my support by a vote of 65-34 on July 25, 2006. The House of Representatives passed a similar bill, the Child Interstate Abortion Notification Act (H.R. 748), on April 27, 2005. Since the House and the Senate passed slightly different versions of this legislation, a conference committee of Senate and House delegates must iron out any differences in order to produce a final version of the bill for passage by both houses of Congress. Objections from some Senators on a purely procedural step have blocked Senate conferees from being appointed and, as a result, stopped further progress on the bill. I believe it is important that the law recognize that parents have a vital role to play in the lives of their children, especially during a crisis pregnancy, and I am hopeful that this legislation will be signed into law this year.
The Unborn Child Pain Awareness Act (S. 51), which I was also proud to cosponsor, was reintroduced by Senator Sam Brownback of Kansas in this Congress on January 24, 2005. This bill would ensure that pregnant women seeking abortions are informed about the pain the abortion will cause to their unborn child. Specifically, this legislation would require personnel performing an abortion on a woman twenty weeks or more into her pregnancy to fully inform the pregnant woman of the overwhelming scientific data that suggest that unborn children beyond twenty weeks are capable of feeling pain. I am hopeful that the Senate will act to pass this important legislation, which would make sure that pregnant women are more educated about the facts surrounding an abortion procedure before making this potentially life-changing decision.
On March 3, 2005, Senator Jim DeMint of South Carolina introduced S. 511, the RU-486 Suspension and Review Act of 2005. I cosponsored this bill that would take the abortion pill, commonly referred to as RU-486, off the market until the Government Accountability Office can review the Food and Drug Administration process by which it was hastily approved.
On November 7, 2005, Senator Elizabeth Dole of North Carolina introduced S. 1966, the Elizabeth Cady Stanton Pregnant and Parenting Student Services Act of 2005. This legislation, which I have cosponsored, provides grants to eligible institutions of higher education to establish and operate offices for pregnant students, parenting students, prospective parenting students anticipating a birth or adoption, and student parents who are placing or have placed a child for adoption. This would ensure pregnant students have access to valuable services and benefits so that no woman feels pressure to make a decision between her education and her child. It is important that women facing unplanned pregnancies know that there are people and resources available to help them through this unexpected situation.
In previous Congresses, I also fought for the enactment of pro-life legislation. I was the proud sponsor of the Born Alive Infants Protection Act, which was signed into law near the end of the 107th Congress. This law states that federal laws and regulations referring to a "person," "human being," "child," and "individual" should include every infant who is born alive regardless of their stage of development. The signing of this law was an important victory in the fight to protect innocent human life, by recognizing that once a baby is completely born, independent of the mother, he or she deserves the full protection and dignity afforded to you or me.
In the 108th Congress, I sponsored and worked to secure passage of the Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act (S. 3) in 2003 after a hard fought eight-year battle in Congress. This bill completely bans the horrific late-term abortion procedure known as partial birth abortion. I was very pleased to see President Bush sign this legislation into law, as similar legislation had been defeated twice because of vetoes by the previous administration. While this law currently faces a court battle over its constitutionality, rest assured that the law was carefully drafted to pass constitutional muster and that the U.S. Department of Justice is vigorously defending its legality. The U.S. Supreme Court is scheduled to hear arguments on this law this year.
Another important step toward protecting the life of an unborn child was achieved when President Bush signed into law the Unborn Victims of Violence of Act on April 1, 2004. This law, which I cosponsored, protects unborn children from assault and murder by making it a federal offense to injure or kill a fetus while committing a federal crime. Until now, federal law recognized only the mother as a victim, even in cases in which a criminal intentionally targeted the unborn child. I believe it reflects the view held by most Americans that when a pregnant woman and her unborn child are attacked, there are two victims. I am pleased that Congress and President Bush have enacted this important law.
Lastly, we have been able to ensure that several life-affirming provisions continue to be included in the yearly appropriations bills, which provide funding for government agencies. As one important example, Congress adopted a conscience protection amendment, which will prevent hospitals and healthcare entities from being required to provide or refer for abortions. I strongly believe that hospitals and other healthcare entities should not be forced to support procedures that are contrary to their mission or creed. To this end, I have sent letters to Senator Arlen Specter, Chairman of the Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education Appropriations Subcommittee, urging that this provision be included in the yearly funding bills. This provision will give the protection of the law to organizations that choose to support life. I have also introduced the Abortion Non-Discrimination Act which would write similar protections into permanent law. In addition, Congress has acted to continue to ensure that federal tax dollars are not used to fund abortions here in this country or to fund entities in other countries that provide or promote abortion overseas.
Please be aware that I sincerely appreciate your support and commitment to protecting life. In the end, the debate over abortion will be won as individuals, families, churches and community groups reach out and support those in need-especially young women facing crisis pregnancies-while educating the public about the tragedy of abortion. Working together, we can change the hearts and minds of the American people concerning these important pro-life issues.
Thank you again for contacting me. If I can be of further assistance on this or any other matter, please do not hesitate to call on me.
Sincerely,
Rick Santorum United States Senate
This e-mail, a copy of which has been archived in the United States Senate, is an official Senate communication intended for the individual or entity named above. Any improper alteration or fraudulent misuse of the contents of this e-mail may constitute a violation of federal law (18 USC 1030; 18 USC 2511; 18 USC 2701), and/or state laws governing defamation and misattribution. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, please notify us that the message was received in error and then delete it.
--
Max

Where, oh, where do they get the stem cells? Not from the local supermarket.
And they don't grow on trees and some people want to fertilize human eggs, that is, cause life to start, in vitro, just to "harvest" them.
I call that murder.
--
Budd Cochran

Stem cells come from more things than fetal tissue.
http://www.stemcellresearchfoundation.org/About/FAQ.htm
People should really come up with facts before condemning research.
--
Max

And you didn't read all my reply, my friend.
I do not object to adults offering their own stem cells for research, I object to cloning and embryonic research.
--
Budd Cochran

Really Max, you expect a Bible-thumping hypocrite to arm himself with facts before entering a debate? Tsk, tsk, tsk.
<BIG SNIP>
Budd, as a friend, even I think that have gone a little far now. No one in this thread has "attacked" you, but reasons even unknown to me, you feel they have.
Take a deep breath man.
Thank you, Larry, but in reality, he was punching below the belt about a subject completely unrelated to the topic.
Polio research never used embryonic cells for experiments. It used volunteers only. Some were children, yes, but according to the records from the time, the children and their parents were given full disclosure of all possibilities, including death.
--
Budd Cochran

Oh, horseshit, Budd. I simply pointed out what I perceived to be a bit of hypocrisy on your part. You take everything you possibly can as a personal insult.

I never advocated the taking of human life. This is quickly devolving into a debate about when life begins, and no one ever gets anywhere with that argument. So let's just say we have different views, and neither will change.
Tom Lawrence wrote:

It's a common trait in fundamentalists. My father (preacher) is the same way. Not quite as retarded ... but very, very sensitive.

You didn't. However, you disagreed with his view ... so that's the same thing. <sigh>
Craig C.
snipped-for-privacy@whatever.net wrote:

I bet he bails on this discussion. His argument is illogical. Granted, that's never stopped him before ... so who knows ...
Craig C.
--
Facts [fakts] -noun: The pesky things that get in the way of religious
doctrine.

Damn I hope not! Just think of the entertainment value.
Why would you possible think that logic enters his thought process? You gotta know by now that he, and only he, is RIGHT!! <VBG> Roy

Man oh man, the only good part about this argument that some day I'll be dead and won't have to read this -- it's like a train wreck I can't turn away from. I can accept that it's part of Christian doctrine to spread the word of God, and that some people see endless arguing as "sport"...
hey, I want in, somebody call me a pole smoking liberal homo tree hugger or straightedge conservative born-again Christian....I'm gonna freaking die if I don't get attention...
Jon
Craig C. wrote:

Be careful what you say, Jon. You might offend the pole smoking liberal homo tree hugging straightedge conservative born-again Christian.
--
Ken

Jon wrote:

a.a.d.t. is a "one-stop-shopping" ng. Come on in, get information on lift pumps, stem cells and Jesus. If you're lucky, you escape without being called a bigot.
Craig C.
--
Facts [fakts] -noun: The pesky things that get in the way of religious
doctrine.
Nobody is that lucky
"Craig C." < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message
So, tell me something, did you have someone holding a gun to your head and forcing you to read it?
If not, then why did you?
--
Budd Cochran

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 17:45:47 -0700, "Budd Cochran" <mr-d150@preciscom SPAM.net> wrote:>So, tell me something, did you have someone holding a gun to your head and

well i don't want to speak for jon, but perhaps just for the entertainment value. perhaps????

It is all about the chuckle factor.<GBFG>
Oh yeah, go for the gold, I finally made it, and I didn't even have to hurl an insult. America is truly the greatest country! Oh wait, this is the internet.
(And to answer, well, originally I thought I might _learn_ something...but with a billion OT posts, I have to see what the commotion is about....like Temptation in the Garden of Eden)
Budd Cochran wrote:

One can only teach those willing to learn.
But don't worry, you have nothing to fear on the matter.
Btw, sarcasm is better done more subtly.
--
Budd Cochran