OT Reply I got from....

Page 6 of 6
I'm with you 1000% on this. People should get educated before they start jumping on the abortion bit. There are other way's to get stem cells.
Roy

well this is strange. it would appear that we all agree!
hey, did hell just freeze over or what?

Not everyone.....

Wait until he really get's going on this.
On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 04:31:02 GMT, "Tom Lawrence"

i don't want to set him off with this, but.............i wasn't including him. i was pretty much just including the people that still have some sense of a mind left.

Yes it did and I'm freezing my ass off so cut it out!!!!

an interesting picture of the senator on this site for max:
http://www.rickemerson.com /

snipped-for-privacy@whatever.net wrote:

I found the Salma Hayek photo set linked on that page to be more appealing.
--
Ken

Santorum is a weird sort......
--
Max

Suddenly, without warning, azwiley1 exclaimed (03-Nov-06 11:01 AM):

Unfortunately, there's a long way to go. I recently read where researchers cured a parkinsons-like disease in rats. Unfortunately (from a slashdot summary): "...10 weeks into the trial, [University of Rochester researchers] discovered brain tumours had begun to grow in every animal treated... By definition, human embryonic stem cells have the almost mythical, immortal power to grow and divide indefinitely as they become the various tissues that make up the body. As a result, scientists have always known that any stem cell therapy could result in an uncontrolled growth of cells that could give rise to cancer."
Unfortunately I can't get to the original article. There's an interesting debate with lots of excellent information (well, /. is news for nerds, after all!) over there, so here's where to go if you are interested: http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid /10/23/2121258.
Many of the comments suggest that there's been much greater success using adult stem cells than embryonic. Moral arguments aside, it makes sense to me to use my own stem cells to cure what ails me...
jmc
Sadly, that sounds like a typical politician (non)response. If you had asked him what day it is, he might've responded "blue"! My previous gig was with a contract medical electronics manufacturer. One of my projects was a cell incubator that was intended to replicate stem cells: http://www.aastrom.com /.
Bryan
Suddenly, without warning, Bryan exclaimed (03-Nov-06 1:38 PM):

I'm sure HE didn't respond at all. Some flunky did, with a form letter.
jmc
Well, looks like what could have been a decent discussion is pretty much over. But Tuesday is the day. Hopefully things will change with the vote!!
Roy

Don't seem like many agreed with him. Looks like he lost by a large margin.
Roy
Roy wrote:

Here in AZ Michael J. Fox has been in town campaigning for two Dems that support stem cell research. So far it appears one will win, the other will lose. I'm a Rep that supports stem cell. The Rep candidates aren't against all stem cell research. Only federally funded embryonic.
Yeah, he got whacked.... by a Democrat who also feels that abortion is a bad idea, but supports more funding to the National Institute of Health, and disagrees with Bush's latest budget line on that item. NIH is the entity that distributes funding for research... such as Stem Cell.
IOW, we now have a Senator who knows that stem cell research is valuable, BUT also has reservatios regarding abortion. Obviously, contrary to what has been said on this thread, opposition to abortion isn't condemnation of stem cell research.
We also dumped Don Sherwood. Wonder if he still plans on paying his mistress for keeping quiet till after the election?
--
Max

yeah, that didn't work so well for him, did it?