OT: Software

Ok all you retired (and non-retired) old farts. Any of you have or know where I can acquire a design software program? Specifically, I am looking for something that will allow me to design decks/patios.

Reply to
azwiley1

There are some consumer level deck/patio programs out there. I think they are more for creating a conceptual drawing rather than actual design.

For higher level maybe AutoCad or Solidworks with architectural add-on modules. I work with those but in the industrial and aerospace industry.

Reply to
miles

They have several depending on how much you want to spend.

GeekBoy

Get a bid and have them include the drawing....

I used Punch to design our floorplan, but it would suck for a deck...

For me, Can is a PITA so I'd use graph paper.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

As someone suggested, some of the Punch software packages comes with a deck designer but I think that it is more to show the outcome rather than design the plans. Lowe's and HS will do this for you for free and they also create a material list so that is another option. I had software that was intended for exactly this purpose but I for the life of me can't find it now. I did have a rather steep learning curve and I find it easier no to design decks in my head and draw them out if I need to get a permit so what exactly do you want to design and how do you think the software will help you?

Reply to
TBone

The cheaper version of Punch! ($30?) Does the best job for making plans and diagrams, also cost analyst. The more expensive ones is just for someone without a clue to take to a builder to say "here is the house I want built."

Reply to
GeekBoy

It's not an issue of zoning, permits, etc. I wanted a software program so I could take a design that I have already drawn out on paper, input it and try to get a better idea of what it would look like. To see if the layout is what the wife and I want BEFORE I start spending money on materials.

I have absolutely no interest in buying a $300+ software app to use it

1 time.
Reply to
azwiley1

He said $30 not $300.

Perhaps a library.

Or, go to h*mo depot and have them do it for ya. Just give them the measurements and don't stoop over. Or, buy the damn software and we all can borrow it.

Reply to
Roy

search sorceforge.net its a open source repository, open source meaning that the software is completely free under the GNU/Open Source license

i did a quick search for Design in the sourceforge.net website and came back with several thousand hits, some CAD and other types of design software. some were not what you were looking for as they were C++ computer language design software but there are tons of other stuff that may or may not fit what you are looking for. i suggest if you want something that wont cost you a penny to do what your looking for you take a look at what sourceforge has to offer. but be aware that it is a Linux dominated site some software will not have a windows version available.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

The OP might also want to check versiontracker.com.

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

Then I would suggest using Punch software such as Super Home Suite. You can get it at Staples as well on line and their web site shows what comes in each of their packages, Their software is quite good at rendering this type of thing and it allows you to import pictures to incorporate into the layout so you can photograph your home and then see what it will look like with the deck that you want to build. It does have a strange interface (to me anyway) and has a bit of a learning curve but it can do a good job and will not break the bank (unless you buy their mega version).

Reply to
TBone

Yes, he did say 30 not 300, however, if you look at the prices of most of the other software apps out there that can do this type of work they are all well over 30 bucks.

You buy it, send it to me, than I'll share it out for everyone!

Reply to
azwiley1

Thanks for the info Chris, I will look into that tonight. Can say I had never heard of this site before now.

Reply to
azwiley1

The OP? Damn! Thanks a lot Craig, now I am "The OP"

Reply to
azwiley1

I think he might mean DP, and you are.

Reply to
Roy

Nope, I'm selling my deck along with this house.

Reply to
Roy

I'm mainly just a lurker here in this group and, yes I do have a Dodge P.U.,

97 1500 4X4 Sport 360. That said here are some software programs I found to answer your question. There is a whole list of programs for Home and Landscaping and everything that goes with it, plus the cost is cheap;
Good luck Klumze
Reply to
klumze

no, sheryll appointed that name to me. oh hold it, i'm the DG, not the DP. never mind.

Reply to
theguy

as i said its a linux majority site, most of us geeks in the linux community visit it quite often. most windows users are totally unaware of the open source license or community.

if you find a linux native software (that doesnt have a windows version) that looks like it would work for you email me directly and i'll send you the information on cygwin (thats a linux emulator for windows)

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Thanks man, I'll check it out over the weekend.

Reply to
azwiley1