OT Sold It!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly! But the little top blocks the sun and keeps things cooler.

Roy.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

The fact is, the economy is doing fine. Down a bit, but not terrible at all. The real killer is the fuel prices, not the housing market. And yep, thats all tied back to the housing market. But the economy and the stock market haven't crashed, just the housing market.

Don't believe everything you read in the papers.

Reply to
Max Dodge

The job market has pretty much crashed as well.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

TOP???? WHAT'S THAT?

Reply to
Christopher D. Thompson

Nope. Even the job market is doing fairly well. Its hovering around 5% unemployment, and thats good. Everyone got used to an economy that was growing as fast as we've ever seen, and forgot the fact that it was above normal.

Check here, and you'll find the unemployment rate is slightly higher than "normal", but right in line with the "normal" cyclical nature over several years. Look at 1982, and 1983, and you'll see why I'm saying the job less rate right now is nothing to worry about.

Max Dodge

All the figure in the world don't change what is going on here. There are guy's standing at intersections holding signs saying "Roofer needs work". I never saw that before. Also a pawn shop I was in 6 months ago had a nail gun for sale, yesterday there had to be 25 nail guns. When tradesmen start pawning their tools, there is a hint there.The housing market collapse has put a ton of folks out of work. These "new job's" are wally world type, part time, minimum wage, no benefits. No where near the good paying jobs that were lost. Lowes and Home Depot have laid of thousands and closed distribution centers. Of course now they have self check outs.

Reply to
Roy

Not to mention that as soon as your unemployment insurance runs out you are no longer counted as part of the unemployed for these figures they keep touting. Seriously I work in manufacturing and a lot of my friends work for other plants, There's not a single one of us that's NOT worried about another plant closure because ALL of our COMPANIES are/have been closing plants.

One of the YKK guys told me he doesn't think the zipper plant will be here for more than another 5 years........

now what does that tell you?

Reply to
Christopher D. Thompson

Could some of the job shortage in the trades and tools on the used tools on the market be related to you being in the hurricane area, bro?

I remember that there were a huge amount of companies hired/contracted to help rebuild the New Orleans area and the government probably bought them a bunch of things like roofing nailers..

I'm not in touch with the CA building trades much anymore, bit I was real surprised to hear that a friend bought a new house near Fresno and that he had to do the lottery thing to be able to buy one.. He said that they were all sold before the construction was done and that they were plowing more orchards under to build more houses..

Definitely not what I'd thought was happening to the housing market..

The building boom here in Baja has damned near stopped.. My builder did about 15 houses a year in 06 and 07 but has only started 3 homes so far in 08... No money coming down from sales and refinances in the States..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

BULL. You seem to be of the type that believes the medias overblown talk about foreclosures being off the chart. In reality the foreclosures deal with subprime loans. They make up less than 5% of the mortgage market. Next, realize most that are going through foreclosure were perfectly capable of making the payments. They bailed because it was a financially good thing for them to do when they ended up owing far more than the house is worth. Take a hit on their credit record, put down 20% on a new home at far less than their prior one and they come out ahead. The idiots who decided to go with the subprimes and the lenders who sold them are to blame and should both take the fall without government bailing the lenders out.

Reply to
Miles

Housing didn't crash. It corrected itself from a very over inflated few years. I suppose there is/was a crash from the money poured into these years and then lost. Same thing happened with the stock market bubble of the 90's.

Reply to
Miles

Says who? The media? Depends on the market sector but overall it certainly has not crashed.

Reply to
Miles

SO your one town represents the entire nation? When a town booms with construction and then the construction returns towards normal levels theres going to be a lot out of work. Thats the construction biz. Those jobs will be picked up in the new boom town.

Reply to
Miles

Go look up whats used in figuring unemployment stats. You think its all about those on unemployment insurance? Besides, these figures are the exact same ones used during the 90's when everyone said how great things were...stats only used when they support your view.

I work in heavy manufacturing and business is doing very well. Breaking records every month. Outlook appears to predict a flattening trend but certainly not bad at all.

Reply to
Miles

No Miles, it is a goodly portion of FL.

Reply to
Roy

Well theres none here and Phoenix got hit hard with the housing market situation. Phoenix has been one of the fastest growing cities and still is. Growth is still strong although not in housing since they way overbuilt recently.

Reply to
Miles

I understand that it may be that way where you are. But the figures for the country aren't bad. Plus, the specific jobs you mention are in the one market that is down.

Its not 1980's bad just yet.

And what are you looking for in a pawn shop?

Reply to
Max Dodge

Velcro is kicking ass?

Seriously, I know the economy has slowed, but we're not seeing the disastrous things like 10% unemployment, and double digit inflation that marked the 1980's as a recession. The economy is doing fine. Its down, but thats part of the economic cycle.

Reply to
Max Dodge

But that has far reaching effect into other related industries.

A decent Penn 850 surf reel. They had a 950 but for $20 more I can buy a new one off Ebay. Oh, the water is about 78 degrees.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

My company is in the heavy industrial manufacturing. We're having a record breaking great year. Our industry has far reaching effects into other industries as well.

Reply to
miles

And much of that housing labor there was done by illegals just like here and IIRC, Arizona is making an effort to get rid of them so there is no real supprise that they are not walking the streets carrying signs looking for work.

Reply to
TBone