OT-Tolerance

I don't think the lack of knowledge is evidence of some supreme being. It just means we know so little. In the history of man people have explained what they can't understand by crediting a supreme being. If you could take modern knowledge and technology back in time the people of that time would think you were a God. We can now explain some things that were once credited to a supreme being.

Reply to
miles

First off, "science" isn't trying to disprove the existence of God. There are too many tangible, useful hypothesis to be tested ... like global warming, cancer, etc. I spend about 20 hours a week in the lab testing various hypothesis (some mine and some others) ... and I assure you, proving or disproving God never enters my, or anyone elses, mind.

Trying to prove or disprove the existence of God is a complete waste of time. So is talking about it.

Correct. The Scientific Method is for proving that which pertains to matter or energy. NOT the fantasy of an all powerful, all knowing God ... who apparently cares so little about his "followers" that he allows science to keep their sorry asses alive with the medical research we

*have* proven, using the Scientific Method.

Indeed.

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

Remove my name and abot 3? others fromthe list of those who have posted on the subject and you've pretty well got the list.

I don't have a Dodge truck anymore, so I don't really have a horse in this race anyway, so GOOD BYE. I'm out here.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

well, again clare.......examples. not accusations, but provide some examples of your statement. who has been "totally intollerant of the christian viewpoint"? that is a pretty clear statement, im just asking for some proof.

Reply to
theguy

Talk about a drive by....

Reply to
Roy

Corollary of "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" (Arthur C. Clarke, "Profiles of The Future", 1961)?

jmc

Big fan of B5's Technomages

Reply to
jmc

Well, there's your proof that you seek, but are you responsible enough to admit what you've done?

You ran off a Christian with your intolerance.

Clare is right, but you are too self-centered to admit it. You, T-bone, Roy and maybe a few others are intolerant and bigoted, and those are your best points. Your bad points? You're an unrepentant sinner and your going to Hell. That is your choice.

Btw, if Clare and I were the same person, why would I ask myself in public forum for forgiveness? That would make me as stupid as you are. I have no desire to be in the same class as you.

I won't say "goodbye" because the root of the word is in the Old English phrase "God be with you"

And that would be "casting pearls before swine".

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Didn't mean to imply that science had any focus on proving/disproving the existence of God. I was merely responding to someone who claimed their beliefs were based on proofs. The scientific method, which has served humankind tremendously well in the past couple hundred years, is unusable for this task, as we agree.

You've decided the concept of a supreme being is fantasy. Fine for you. It is based on some sort of reasoning that a God would show more care for his "sheep" than appears to be the case.

Fair enough of an assessment. Not a proof since none will [probably ever] be available.

I choose to believe there is "something" based on the incredible complexity of life and the the universe as we currently understand it. It's just too big and interconnected to have come about purely randomly, as indeed current evolution says it did (for life). Even given gene mutation rates and an extremely long period of time, it just doesn't seem to be fully random. Why else a horseshoe crab that essentially hasn't changed in 200+ million years versus the evolution of humans in a mere 3 million (modern humans only a 200K years)! I have lots of questions like that.

I don't believe any religion is correct in its definition of God. They're perhaps all partially correct, but way off base for the whole of it.

My Ram got a remanufactured engine 7K miles ago. Never would have thought a 318 with only 150K miles would have heads so bad that they couldn't really be rebuilt, so it was either brand new heads at $3200 or a Jaspar remanufactured engine at $4700.

The new engine gets only about 14 mpg while the original regularly got 16-17.

Well, at least God brought down the gas prices of late!

SMH

Reply to
Stephen Harding

thank you. that is very christian of you budd. also, thank you for the showing of tolerance that you have made, you have been a good mentor.

Reply to
theguy

Fair enough.

Well, I disagree. Evolution (adaption of biological organisms), can be proven. Your questions, as I understand them, really do not question whether evolution is "fact". Rather they pertain to "how much" evolution played a role in our current state of being. Tough question ... and one that will take a very long time to answer with science.

I choose to believe that we did evolve from something else. How that "something else" came into to existence is beyond my abilities as a scientist to prove without more concrete information. However, my opinion is that my version of how I got here is much more plausible than some all powerful being that only exists in the heads of humans. Evolution, at least to a certain degree, can be proven. God and the spirit realm cannot.

If you choose to believe in that all powerful being, then that is your choice and I respect that as long as you or anyone else that believes it doesn't try to cram it down my throat.

:-)

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

Clare chose to engage. There was no intolerance, merely discussion. This further proves what someone in this ng has already said about

*your* definition of intolerance. In your mind, an intolerant person is someone that questions your belief system.

You ran off once friends with your senile rants.

Romans 14:4- "Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls..."

You aren't our master, bitch. So stop judging.

In that case, don't ever say "goodbye" to me. It's against my religion.

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

Have you let your family read what you have posted over the past month?

Reply to
Roy

Now watch the posts from Budd start appearing. I swear it's the same person.

Bob

Reply to
Bob M

If Clare is a Christian then why did she (he) include the following quote in many of her (his) posts? "My belief (if it is so).............." Sounds more like someone who argues for the sake of arguing rather than someone who is defending her (his) christianity.

Reply to
John Kunkel

If posting vile, mean spirited, name calling posts like this is what it means to be Christian, I want no part of it. However, I happen to know some very nice Christians and know better. If there is a God there is no way in hell that he is going to let you into heaven.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep