OT Vacum cleaners!!!

Page 2 of 7

According to the write ups at that addy I gave you, they seem to work well. I'll take a lookat it, maybe try it, and if it is a pos return it.

Yup, that's why we are different.
Roy

"Working well" is subjective to the evaluation skills of the user. A Globemaster dollar bin screwdriver will tighten a few screws before becoming worthless, but a more expensive Craftsman screwdriver will tighten screws for years, if used properly. Yet Globemaster still sells tons of screwdrivers to the unsuspecting public that thinks they work "well".
I was only trying to help make sure you would be satisfied.

Please remember that before you think about telling me I'm screwed up.
--
Budd Cochran

Romans 3:23, Romans 6:23,

Sure is. That's why I asked if "Does anybody use one"? Those who responded on the epinions site are people who have used them, I hoped to expand on that by asking here. But that hasn't been the case so far.

I've been a lot happier with Snap-On than Craftsman. The only drawback to the SO is they are a pia to find in low light situations or at night.
>Yet Globemaster still sells tons of

Never heard of Globemaster.

I appreciate that Budd.

I'd never forget it. I don't think I've told you that you are screwed up. Perhaps you are starting to do some self evaluation? <BFG>
Roy

<LOL> How many "hairy legged throttle jockeys" do haouse work?

Rattle can them yellow or pink . . . . . .

That's always been my goal in life, to help others.

Yeah, ya have . . . .

Just quoting others.

--
Budd Cochran

Romans 3:23, Romans 6:23,

Snap-On does make fine tools, but what's harder to find at night than a Snap-On screwdriver? A Snap-On truck. If I break a Craftsman tool that I can't do without to finish a repair at 5:00 on a Saturday evening I know where to get another one. Sears isn't on wheels. It's always in the same place, and it's open nights and weekends.
--
Ken

Very true, Snap On isn't in your local mall.
>If I break a Craftsman tool
And this is why. The failure rate of a Snap On hand tool is pretty much nill.

This is a good thing.
Roy

In the hands of an airframer any brand name tool is fragile. I've broken more than my fair share of Snap-On tools.

If a Snap-On truck would stop in my driveway one evening each week I'd probably buy from them. Snap-On won't do that. They won't put their products in a store near my house either. If they did I'd have more Snap-On tools than Craftsman.
--
Ken

Can't you get them to stop where you work? Around here they come by a couple of times a week.
Roy

I've had Snap-On and Craftsman in the same toolbox while working as a forklift mechanic. I see no advantage to the high priced tools from Snap-On, but as has been mentioned, I can go to a Sears and replace a tool, no sweat.
A few months ago, I had to replace a 6", 1/2" drive extension and my 1/2" drive, 1" socket, both from Craftsman. I happened to be in Grand Junction, CO with the wife doing some shopping at Wal-Mart so we swung by the Sears ( yes, it's the closest one to Moab.). The socket was 30 years old and the extension a mere 27 years old and they replaced them without question. They honored their life-time warranty.
--
Budd Cochran

Romans 3:23, Romans 6:23,

The advantage is that Snap On very rarely breaks. You folks seem to think that a tool failure is okay as long as you can get it replaced. A tool failure can cause injury at times more sever than a skinned knuckle.

They do honor their warranty.
Roy

<LOL> No matter what I say, it's wrong. Look again at the age of those tools, Roy. I've also got a cold chisel, and a large hammer that my step-dad left me bought from Sears that are older than I am and a "dogbone" multiple box end wrench. The chisel has been reforged and tempered 4 times since I've owned it and it still cuts like new. The hammer head has gone thru 4 handles and was lost for three years in the factory and I caught a set-up man at the muffler factory pulling on the dogbone with a four foot cheater and it hasn't broken.
I made my living for ten years repairing forklifts and factory machinery with Craftsman tools, most of which I still have. The tool that are gone were sold to pay off some debts from a divorce, or I would still have them.
Guess what, Roy, I've seen many Snap-On tools break under load and I have a close friend that calls them "Snap-Off Tools" and refuses to buy them because they break. They're not perfect.
Ya want a pefect tool? Grab a rock, they're free and the warranty's good anywhere in the world.

Yep, and I've had friends that had Snap-On refuse to honor a warranty claims on broken tools.
--
Budd Cochran

Romans 3:23, Romans 6:23,

Here ya go again! WTF did I say or imply you were wrong?

I continue to make my living repairing locomotives as I have for 34 years with Snap On tools. Oh, there are some Cromwell thrown it as well.

Gee Budd, I haven't had that experience.
I have had a spline drive extension crack a couple of splines. They replaced it.

None of them are.

Can't comment on that as I haven't seen the tool nor know how it was used. But if you say so.
Roy

<LOL> Did you miss the "<LOL>"???? <LOL>

Your choice, of course. Just, please, don't slam the tools that thousands buy because they can't afford or don't like the ones you like.

Then you're one of a few, from my experience. I've got one Snap-On flat blade 1/4" X 8" screwdriver. It's dull, it slips out and the hardening wore off many years ago and won't stay sharp any more. I use it for a light duty pry.

Good.
So why pay so much for imperfection?

Roy,
I'm not in the habit of lying and my friends consider me to be too honest for my own good, for what it's worth.
--
Budd Cochran

Romans 3:23, Romans 6:23,

Who slammed anything?? What the fuck is with you anyway? Why don't you stick to what is written rather than putting your spin on it.

I've found it bad practice to pry however light with a screw driver.

I'm done.
Roy

I did. You worded your sentence to read like Craftsman tools were not good. SInce you can't put inflection or emotion into the words, sometimes the intended meaning is misplaced.
That's why my sentences sometimes read a little different. I try to be exact with the meanings.

Agreed, but it's no longer any good as a screwdriver, or did you miss that also?

In this group, especially the past three years or so, when someone has used the words, "if you say so" or variants on the phrase, the implication, MOST OF THE TIME, has been that I was not being truthful and/or believable.
If the words I read are in a phrasing I find offensive then I have the right to be offended.
Ok, you're done, I'm done and the thread is done.
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 18:15:40 -0700, "Budd Cochran" <mr-d150@preciscom SPAM.net> wrote:

When I started my apprenticeship in 1968 I bought a set of Craftsman tools. I still have most of that original set - the ones missing were lost by apprentices working for me many years later.
One of my classmates bought Snap-On tools at the same time - same sized set cost him about 5X as much, and before he had his licence he'd broken over half of them. He called them "Snap offs" too. *** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com *** *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from http://www.SecureIX.com ***
The only good thing I can say for the Snap-On screwdriver I have is I've not yet broken the handle. A couple sharpening and the temper was gone from the tip. ( and, no, I didn't turn the metal blue while regrinding it, for anyone thinking I had.)
--
Budd Cochran

Romans 3:23, Romans 6:23,
<snip>

I've had both brands, (as well as a lot of junk), and both have been ok with returns... only problems with snap-on is that unless it's a real common tool, you have to kind of lean on the guy in the truck to get a replacement that day, as they would rather order one for you..
Brings back memories of the time I was trying to break loose a bolt on a rented cement mixer, so the damn thing would tilt.. We put a 3/4" breaker bar on the socket, with a 3' pipe over it and couldn't break it lose... hooked up a chain to my brothers truck and slipped the clutch, thinking that would SURELY break it loose... broke the breaker bar in half..
I took it into Sears... the guy exchanged it no problem, THEN he asked how the hell we broke one.. lol
Mac

I agree with you. Junk tools are dangerous. That's why I have Craftsman tools. I'm not saying that Craftsman is the best quality tool, I'm saying Craftsman is the best quality tool available to me.
--
Ken

I retired this year and they don't do house calls. They wouldn't stop where I worked either. Snap-On doesn't have tool boats, only trucks. ;^)
--
Ken
Fly Navy!