OT: welding 101

Page 1 of 3
Hi guys,
some of you know I am taking welding classes (in ottawa) since I inherited all the garage tools (incl. torches) and a yard full of dodges
the teacher asked me yesterday if I was intending to sign up for another welding class (they have arc 1, 2, mig, and tig) and i replied it depends on the cash ($270 cdn). He told me I should take tig next which I take as a complement :-) -- course I don't have money for a cheap tig setup yet, but maybe after I sell one of the 80's 4x4 dakotas (currently asking $1200) that I have to put in a flywheel (will need physical help for this) and starter, and do some body panel, bed and floor work on (after that I ought to get $1800 cdn)
things are looking up and although there is still over 2 feet of snow in the yard, there will only be occasional flurries hopefully, and freezing rain season has started. There have been two days where you can sit where there's no wind, in the sun, and soak in some rays for a good 20 minutes before you have to warm up and grab another beer
I updated my website and you can actually see where Denholm, QC is and the three ski hills within 1/2 hour drive (my son went skiing yesterday): http://www3.sympatico.ca/rske (click on "contact me" in menu) -- brag brag: all hand coded html
rach
Hey, Rach,
In my opinion, the basic welding methods to learn are: oxy / acetylene ( you can weld, cut, braze, solder, temper and form metals with it) and tig. The techniques for wire / mig welding are close enough to tig you can probably teach yourself, if you wish.
Stick welding is good to learn also and was the industry standard for many years. It's biggest difficulty is getting the heat right to give the required penetration and easy slag removal. The lack of slag is the main advantage, as I see it, for wire / tig / mig welding methods.
I still use a 115V AC buzz box stick welder for most of my welding, but I don't expect any of it to handle racing stresses or off road duty. With multiple, slow passes, maximum heat setting with small rods, I can weld up to 3/8" thick. I'm planning on getting a stitch welder attachment for doing sheet metal ( for body work).
But as my step-dad always said, "Always try to learn something new each day."
--
Budd Cochran

"Rachel Easson" < snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
Budd Cochran wrote:

Dear Budd,
Cool! My son's best friend's mom is a welder -- I'll ask her to give me a hand.
My late c-l husband left compression tools, sand blaster, paint supplies, and a propane-o2 setup, plus a contract with praxair.

I'll ask her about this -- this is all new to me.

I'll never get into racing applications I imagine, but if I get the 5 trucks in shape and cut up the two junkers this summer, that will be a good start.

Helps you feel good and stay young too
rach

Excellent!!!!
When I learned to weld, the maintenance department's "test" was to weld a small "I" beam to an upright steel post and then climb up on it. My instructor was a gentleman that soon retired named "Sully". My weld was onlt 2" long and only along the top of the 4" beam. I walked out to the unsupported endn and jumped up and down on it. Then I hopped down, picked up the free end and broke the weld off the post.
Sully called the boss over to tell him, "Budd will be your best welder before he makes Journeyman."
I tried to make his words come true. He was a great welder himself and took the time I needed to make sure I knew all he could teach me

Propane works well, but it's not quite as hot as a Acetylene flame. Still, use what you got , buy better when you can.

Stick welding is also called straight arc welding and uses the flux coated welding rods. Because of the flux, a good weld can be harder to get. The flux wants to mix in the melted steel puddle and leave it porous and weak. Also, it has the most need for clean metal before welding.

Don't sell yourself short, my friend. The only one with the right to tell you what you cannot do or limit what you do in life is yourself. You strike me as being a person with hopes and dreams yet to be realized. Don't give up a single one till they've gone down in flames.

Well, that's true to a point. Sometimes our genetics cause troubles that can't be overcome or ignored. I inherited some physical limits from my folks, but I try to not let them get me down.
--
Budd Cochran

John 3:16-17, Ephesians 2:8-9
Budd Cochran wrote:

Cool! I had an evangelist baptist friend out in Calgary who got me started in computer programming -- it is good to have mentors

Out in Denholm, you need to drive 15 minutes for bread and milk, so you get propane or you have to drive an hour to fill up the acetylene. My instructor says it will do just fine for my applications.

Aah! That's what my neighbour's brother does -- and he said he'll show me -- he's off on long term disability for his back.

I guess you have a point.

So did I <grn> mental ones! LOL! True though -- clinical depression <grn> rach

I'm just a novice user with asperations of staying a novice user. I can format a drive, install software and most hardware and reboot my system . . .that's enough. My last programming was done with Commodore Cd running Basic.

Then go for it. Like I said, move up when able, if you need to

It's a good skill to know. It's the only welding you can do with car batteries and jumper cables 100 miles from anywhere.

Well, don't tell anyone or they'll make me wear a hat to cover it up. . . . .

I got arthritis, heart problems, diabetes from my folks and had Polio as a kid . . . I'm a walking mess!!!
Budd
Budd Cochran wrote: <snip>
I inherited some physical limits from my

But you're still walking around, pointy head and all <grn> rach

(SHHH!!!! I told you not to mention that!!) (VBG)
Yeah, but occasionally I have to get my "training wheel" ( cane) back out so it can exercise a bit.
Budd

you
Are you sure about that? I have found wire feed welding and even mig to be more like stick welding than like tig. Perhaps some input from the group welding expert would be helpful here. As for learning the oxy / actelene methods, I agree completely.

The hardest thing I find with stick welding is determining which stick to use and firing off the arc instead of sticking the rod. As for the slag, flux core wire produces a fair amount of slag also.

doing
Wise suggestion.

Who asked you? I didn't. Support from you is like an anchor to a drowning person.

Where did I mention flux core? I didn't.
I weld 0.035" steel with a 1/16" 6013 or 6014 rod on a 115 volt J.C.Whitney buzz box to do rust repair on my Cushman. I don't have trouble starting the arc.
Nor did I have trouble starting an arc on 1/2" wall mild steel pipe with 3/16" 6014 rod using a 1940's Hobart 220V motor / generator welder.

Not for you, it isn't.
I will not be replying to you in the future and I have no need for your "endorsements". There are others here far more qualified to do so than you. Besides, you'll forget the times I'm correct, especially the ones you endorsed, when another "Bash Budd" chance arises.
--
Budd Cochran

John 3:16-17, Ephesians 2:8-9
Once again, you act like a child. Oh well.
"Budd Cochran" <mr-d150@preciscom SPAM.net> wrote in message
TBone wrote:

I don't get it -- but that is probably my immaturity <grn> rach
Tom and I don't get along, Rach. IMHO, I think it would be for the better if I stayed out of his replies and he stayed out of mine.
--
Budd Cochran

"Rachel Easson" < snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
This wasn't said to you and I'm sorry if you thought it was.
"Rachel Easson" < snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
TBone wrote:

It doesn't matter -- I thought it was funny <grn> rach
I find it quite sad that a grown adult has to continue to act this way. What horrifies me is the fact that I was doing it for a while myself.
"Rachel Easson" < snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
Tbone sez......

>> > No it would not. It would have power but it would still not be
HUH????
That quote makes less sense than I do.
waitaminit . . . . did I just say that?
( need more caffeine . . . . need more caffeine . . . . need more caffeine . . . need more caffeine . . . .)
Budd Cochran
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." (John Adams)

Funny how everybody else in the power outlet thread understands it but you. But with your childish actions, I can see why not. Funny how you broadcast this when you are the idiot that claimed an alternator will produce 12 volts at any RPM, which BTW would include ZERO, LOL!!!!!
"Max Dodge" < snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net> wrote in message
Ok, got a pot of coffee in me . . .
Absolutes are a difficult concept, they either are or they are not.
Either there is voltage of some value or there is no voltage. Either there is rotational momentum or there is not. These are absolutes, like True or False, pure black or pure white, a switch is on or it is off, etc.
There can be no gray area when applying an absolute, but some do not accept the concept and are absolute in their rejection of the concept.