Outside Air Temperature Display problem

I have a 94 Dodge Ram 2500 The display that normally showed temperature/compass went BLACK. Nothingis showing up there. What is the wrong? Called the dealer they said go to the library and get the diagrams
kinda thing. I dont want to spend money till I kinda know. Would that be the overhead light thing out? Is there a light up there? I dont know. Or is it the sensor out and what is that called? Any help would be AWESOME, thanks~~

Are you sure you didn't turn it off? I think if you hit one of the buttons the correct number of times the display turns off?
If you get wildly wrong temperature readings, it needs a new sensor. If the display is blank and it's not turned off, you need a new unit. But first, check the fuses and wiring!